[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failing to file income tax

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Canada_flag.jpg (149KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Canada_flag.jpg
149KB, 2048x1536px
I don't personally do my own taxes, but rather through a family accountant and I found out last year I failed to file my tax return through my family. This year my tax returns were filed and I was given my usual refund; nothing out of the ordinary. What are the repercussions? I normally get a refund and this year has been no different, but there hasn't been anything about last year from the CRA
Pic is related I'm canadian paying canadian taxes
>>
>>1221893
bruh just file them yourself, ffs

it's so easy with netfile
>>
>>1221935
Well its even easier through the family accountant, which I'm not directly paying for. But probably will do it myself once I move further away. Still can anyone tell me the repercussions?
>>
i'm canadian and haven't done it in 4 or 5 years

don't think they care unless you make enough that you owe them ( > 30k ?)
>>
>>1221978
Idk, contact them and let them know(if you made over $10k that year).

It's better to just deal with it than the potential punishments of avoiding it
>>
>>1222341
Lmao you're going to get hammered with fines the minute you make enough for them to care about you.
>>
I have a friend that did this (USA so no idea if it applies) and all he did was fuck himself out of a few years' tax returns. They already taxed and took the money. You're just fucking yourself out of what you may be entitled to get back.
>>
>>1221978
If you're an American, there may be a small fine if you actually owed the government money. If the government owed you money, there is a statute of limitations after which they money they owe you is no longer owed to you. If you owe the government money, there is no statute of limitations.

Just file your returns. There's really nothing to fear and the financial penalty, if there is one, is very minor. A few hundred dollars, maybe.

I had a stretch where I didn't file a return for 5 or so years. Lost the tax refunds that were due to me and I think I had to pay a small fee for failing to fail a return.

In general, if you're an honest American but are careless or lazy, the IRS is quite lenient. They don't want to send otherwise honest, hard-working taxpayers to prison where they become liabilities of the state.
>>
>>1221893
>repercussions

Depends on how much you made and what you've already payed in taxes.

I got a 3.8k tax return, and my dad has to pay and additional 18k this year.
>>
>>1222380
I've already had everything deducted from my pay through out the year. I'm pretty sure I should have been getting a return due to school, RRSP, and public transit returns.
>>
>>1222413
Its still good to file your taxes, either you owe them something or they owe you. If you do end up owing them money, when you do file your taxes they will charge interest. If they owe you then you are basically loaning them money for free. You should get in the habit of filing your taxes every year.
>>
You are always better contacting them before they contact you.

My housemate ignored a couple letters from them and one day boom! Accounts frozen. In fairness she's a retard and thought she could run from them like she's run from her USAmerican student loans for a decade.

Fucking Americans and their bastardised definition of freedom
>>
>>1222359
>IRS
>prison

Nice meme, they just fine you out the ass
>>
>>1222713
You forgot that Wesley Snipes was sent to prison for not paying his taxes?

Willie Nelson was on the verge of going to prison for not paying his taxes until his musician friends held a benefit concert to raise money to pay his taxes.

If you don't pay the taxes you owe to the IRS, you will go to prison. Just ask Irwin Schiff, Peter Schiff's father.
>>
>>1222713
Yeah no, the government will literally imprison you for not handing over protection money and the majority of the population, being poorfags, is okay with that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.