[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mowing Lawns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (24KB, 236x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 236x340px
>currently hs senior
>work part time at shitty fast food restaurant
>20-35 hours a week, shitty hours, minimum wage
>sucks so bad
>no real skills
>no other experience
>dont want another mcjob

i have been considering just quitting and mowing lawns since its beginning to get nicer out. i probably wouldnt make as much as i do currently, but i think i would enjoy it a lot more than what i do now.

i've never mowed lawns for money before, any tips, suggestions, or knowledge you'd like to pass on /biz/raelis?
>>
>>1219692
if you can borrow your dad's mower and have access to a car it can be easy.

you will need to print some flyers. shouldnt cost too much and can be just black and white. then just put the flyers into people's mailboxes or just am it between their door and the frame where they will surely see it.

Flyers should state how much you are charging. An example fee structure: $25 per yard, offer a combo for front and back yards for $40, charge extra for grass trimming (if you have a grass trimmer) and make a super combo for front/back and trimming for like $50-$60. if business is good you can get into the more intense shit like fertilizer and shit like that but only if you're making good money. i never went this far but thinking back now it might have attracted some people.

Pricing of course depends on the size of the yards of the neighbourhoods in your area. in my area all yards (front and back) were roughly the same size except corner houses (I never advertised to corner houses, fuck them, it would take too long to mow them). if the yards are huge then charge more, if they are really small then charge less.

what i did one summer was I had people "subscribe" and I would cut their grass every two weeks without them having to call me. it was like a subscription grass cutting service. worked great when it didnt rain much and the grass hardly grew but when it rained a lot and the grass was long as fuck it was hell. But that's business.

What you should do is mow your own lawn and time yourself. If the lawns in your neighbourhood are the same size then that will be base time to complete each house and then you can come up with a rough estimate of the money you will make each day and the time it will take to do it. Of course some houses will have shitty gardens and shit that you dont want to trample or accidentally cut and fucking fruit trees that attract bees and wasps which will force you to spend more time at some locations.
>>
Well for mowing lawns, you work when you want to. Personally, I make $35 for each lawn that I do. Pro tip- make friends with your client and be their servant for 1-2 hours, do what they tell you and do it well. Ask people that you know if they need their lawn done.
>>
>>1219692
Consider working as a waiter. You have experience in the food service industry, so you have an advantage over other people applying. You can actually earn quite a bit in tips if you don't have a shitty attitude all the time.
>>
>>1219772
what was the avg time for one of your lawns?
>>
>>1219772
>>1219776
thanks guys, lots of good info. i was thinking i would just start with like <5 people i know close to my house to get the feel of it, then start making flyers to get more peopel if i can handle it. i'd probably charge low as fuck prices starting out, bc i just need some people paying me, and as long as im making more than $7 per hour of work, im a lot better off than i would be otherwise lol. the subscription idea is also really cool. not something i thought about before

>>1219786
funny you should mention that actually, i hit up some of the restaurants near me, and they all said they werent hiring at the moment. im pretty bummed out because one like a block away from me is really expensive, and a busboy i know who works there makes a killing off tips. dude drives back from college like 200 miles away to work there every weekend
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 640x450px
bump so thread hopefully wont die when im at work
>>
>>1219692

DO IT

working for yourself is infinitely better than working for someone else.

And mowing lawns aint bad.

Just go buy the gear. Ask Home Depot for some tips.

Then put flyers around neighborhoods.
>>
>>1219692
Why not keep the mcjob until you find something better and mow lawns on the side?
>>
>>1220398
this

do 20 hours on the mcjob and grow your mowing biz in the meantime.. once you got enough hours for mowing, then quit the mcjob
>>
>>1220416
This and also start studying gardening and landscaping. The more skills and knowledge you have, the more you can make. Start reading about how to manage a small business.
>>
Maybe 10 years ago you could get a neighbor to pay you $20 to mow lawns and rake leaves. Now a days people do most things themselves to save money. Baby Boomers got hit hard in 2007 and now they are penny pinchers that will never retire.
>>
>>1219807
like 10-15 minutes. i tried to be done with each house in 30 minutes but if they wanted trimming it might take longer since some people had all sorts of weird lawn ornaments that I had to trim around
>>
>>1219692
Go to college you retard
>>
I applaud you. I hate mowing lawns. Our front and back yards take me 3 hours to complete along with edging it. Another 2 hours for my neighbors and I only got paid 20 dollars. Good luck on your business.
>>
>>1220429
any books you'd recommend?
>>
Consider the gas you use and the cost of the lawn mower. Also get a weed wacker. People will ask you to do there shit if they see u doing a good job. Make sure the gutters are good and the entire yard is straight. I'm in college and i make like an extra grand a month from blowing leaves and cuttin grass. Make sure u have headphones and try to listen to something productive so ur time isnt wasted
>>
>>1220398
this mofo
>>
Get an electric lawn mower and save $$$
>>
>>1220432
Idk, there are a ton of Mexican lawn care services in my area. There has to be money in it because I always see them cutting grass.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.