[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

So I just started my first job out of college. I majored in accounting & finance and since mid january I work at a small accounting/auditing firm. Kinda like PKMG, PwC but we're just 8 people.

However, I fucking hate it there. I thought accountants being boring was just a meme, but fuck it's so true. Some days, there are poeple in the office who go through the whole work day without saying anything more than "Hello" and "See you tomorrow" to anyone. I used to work at a hotel for a few years before and during college and atleast the coworkers were hilarious there. Plus most of the girls were kinda hot too.

Accounting is boring as shit. I realize that it's a good marketable skill to have, but let's not pretend that it's actually enjoyable because it's not. I took the job to learn a hard, maretable skill, and I now have the skills to manage a companies finances in the day-to-day operations. The only major accounting skill I lack is closing the books and producing an annual report.

But the worst part is the commute. For every 8 hour work day I spend 12 hours away from home. It's killing me. And it's not like I can work on the train because all of our work is based on having papers and folders and shit. It's just lost god damn time that I'll never get back. Some weeks when I'm feeling very stressed, it feels like I can't think. I can't plan ahead and my mind is just mush. I hate it.

So my question is I guess, how soon can I get another job without it hurting my career? I was thinking of staying a year, but I don't think I can hold out for so long. Would it look weird if I held my first job just for 6 months?
>>
anyone?

tl;dr: how soon can one change their first job out of college without hurting ones career?
>>
>>1219335
mate it's OK

we all have been young and made mistakes. Obviously you shouldn't be jobhopping all the time; but if you hate it there, it is okay to change. No point in remaining in a job you hate, and desu your coworkers sound like exceptional cunts.

Just make sure you don't do anything retarded. Start job hunting now and hold it out until you have a new position. Tell your employer you are leaving within the adequate time, and this is it.
>>
>>1219335
Quit now, you'll work it out.

Do not waste your life doing something you hate.
>>
>>1219478
Don't do this.

>>1219447
Do this.

>>1219335
What's your hourly rate and how many hours a week do you work?
>>
>i choose to live far as fuck from work
>feel bad for me
>>
>>1219497
>What's your hourly rate and how many hours a week do you work?

I have a monthly salary which is the standard entry level salary for my line of work

Work hours are not regulated, sometimes I've stayed until 8PM, most of the time I come in just before 9AM and leave a bit after 5PM.

>>1219502
It's not entirely a choice, really. The region I live in has an insane shortage in housing. Moving to the city I work in is just not possible financially for me.

This together with the fact that I thought beggars can't be choosers when I just started hunting for jobs, made me jump at this opportunity. Also, the job market for graduates in my town is small, compared to the city I currently work in.

Don't get me wrong. This is an excellent entry level job in accounting, but this is not the path I want. It's far from certain that I can even get another job, but I feel atleast I have to try to get a job in my own town.
>>
>>1219335
no one really cares. if they ask just say you were not enjoying the commute but you liked the company.

Ive job hopped like a maniac, theres holes in my cv where i just quit sometimes and ive got by with some of my previous places not giving me a reference.

Dont stress too much. do what you want to do. fuck doing it 'the right way' . things tend to work out if youre a good employee when youre actually there.

If it goes tits up completely join a temp agency.
>>
>>1219335
>being this much of a normalfag

Please fuck off to Facebook or wherever you came from
>>
>>1219635
/biz/ is literally 95 % normals and 5 % losers desperately looking for get rich quick-schemes to pull them out of their pathetic existance
>>
>>1219335
>accounting
Kek. Prepare to have that shit automated soon
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 162x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 162x90px
>>1219335
>PKMG
Senior partner material here.
>>
>>1219335
>>1219409
Wait, don't accountants earn good money ?

Your job might feel insufferable now, but you should keep working as an accountant and socialize some more with your colleagues.

Very few people truly enjoy their job/career.

You've stated that you're not good at producing an annual report.

Work on this weak point and do it for the money.

That's what I'd do if I were you.
>>
>>1219335
Tough it out OP, ask for extra work, and excel. It's ok to eat shit for one year. Those of us on /biz/ who work have eaten shit for a little while.

After a year in, or 9 months start feeling around. You will have something on your resume, and hopefully can talk about all the projects and initiatives you took on when you interview somewhere else.

Stop acting like your entitled to a great job, just eat your shit and smile, you'll get to where you want to be eventually
>>
>>1220038
>most people hate their life so you should too
>that's just the way things work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you're literally the worst kind of person m8
>>
>>1219335
different profession but i was in the exact same spot you are in anon

Do not quit yet. money is the only reason
Start job hunting immediately and quit when you have secured a new job, the only damage you should be absorbing is the days you miss work to attend interviews (who can prove you do not have stomach flew?)
your first job will not hurt your carrier as long as you phrase it correctly when asked why you quit your job in interviews. good answers are always in the form of "ï was not challenged enough"

Also a good use of the commute time would be using this time to read and expand your knowledge of the financial world because uni is not exactly the best place to prepare you for real life.
>>
>>1220055
don't exaggerate. it's true that most people do not like their jobs and do it only because of income security at best.
if you think that this is not a true fact then you are the worst kind of person my friend. the delusional kind that think wealth can be made easily with no effort or sacrifice.
>>
>>1220038
I guess senior accountants that've been in a firm for 10+ years make bank, but it is obvious from looking at my colleagues that I don't want to work at any firm for such a long time. Accounting in itself is just so violently uninteresting and looking at my mentor of sorts, having been in the profession for 10 years, going on about taxes, VAT and regulations makes me never want to never be like him

I looked up salary statistics for the type of consultant that me and him are, and I'm pretty much at the average at my entry level.

What I would like to do is to get into politics, and that process is in motion but it's not something that I can take to the bank at the moment. I figure I might try to get into banking, controlling, sales or marketing.

I'd probably enjoy the work I have now if it werent for the colleages, constant stress and the commuting. Due to my long commute I feel that I just can't squeeze enough out of myself to go the extra mile that I want to go when I'm at work. Some days I want to, and need to, work 10+ hours but I can't because I have commitments at home to attend to.

>>1220045
>After a year in, or 9 months start feeling around

I'm gonna ask for a sit down for a performance review with my boss in mid june when I'll have worked there 6 months. I think I'm a quick learner but I'm also a bit insecure as to how my performance so far have been. I want to be completely honest and put my cards on the table: tell him that the commute is killing me and give them a heads-up that I might be on my way out pretty soon.
>>
Whiny millenial faggot: the thread
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.