[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ I have a question that is kind of biz related having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (21KB, 459x103px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
21KB, 459x103px
Hey /biz/ I have a question that is kind of biz related having to do with laws, taxes and healthcare.
>dad works Union construction
>makes good money/benefits
>tells me he has to take me off his healthcare because he doesn't claim me on taxes
>basically tells me I'm screwed and have to find own healthcare
>can't afford muh obamacare
>I look it up and nowhere do I find that this is true

So my question is does my dad have to kick me off his healthcare plan because he doesn't claim me on taxes? I'm 21 and go to school full time and work part time. He doesn't claim me because I pay rent and everything. Also he doesn't want to help me with school so I'm able to get financial aid by claiming myself because he makes over 100k plus my step moms income and there's only me and my step brother living with them. I had to pay my own co payments anyways. I was trying to save up so I could get my wisdom teeth pulled. Already have glasses/contacts so I'm good with eyecare. I was going to get a physical soon because I've had two surgeries on my left knee and just wanted to make sure it's doing alright since I workout. Pic related my dads health insurance
>>
>>1179431
Shameless self bump
>>
>>1179431
hahaha your dad's fucking you over because he doesn't want to pay for your premiums, dude. *If he wanted to*, he could claim you as a dependent, since you're full-time enrolled in school. But, he doesn't want to pay for the family-plan health insurance that would cover you, so he's told you it's Obamacare's fault and left you out to dry.

Sorry bro, your dad's an asshole.
>>
>>1179447
He doesn't pay the premium it's covered by his job. He gets a base pay of 42/hour plus benefits (401k/healthcare/life insurance) which makes his total pay come out to about 60-70/hour.
>>
>>1179447
Also if he claimed me I'd be SOL with school since he doesn't want to help me and I wouldn't get financial aid if he did
>>
File: dependent qualification.jpg (145KB, 633x620px) Image search: [Google]
dependent qualification.jpg
145KB, 633x620px
>>1179447
pic related; the criteria that would qualify you as an independent on your dad's tax returns.
>>
>>1179459
I make around 12-14k a year with my part time job and he doesn't provide any assistance for me I pay for my rent/food/car everything. Doesn't even give me Christmas or birthday presents. My Christmas present this was was him not making me pay my phone bill for the month ($75) and I don't get anything for my birthday.
>>
>>1179452
>He doesn't pay the premium it's covered by his job.
If he gets "base pay plus benefits", he's paying for the premiums. There are very few employers who pay 100% of health insurance premiums. If those count as his "total pay" package, then he's essentially paying for it with the opportunity cost of a higher absolute wage.

For instance, if both your mother and father were employed, and he chose to use his wife's insurance, would he then earn more on an hourly basis? If so, he's paying for at least a portion of his healthcare premiums, which means his take-home is lowered by having to use the "spouse and dependents" healthcare plan instead of the "spouse only" healthcare plan.
>>
File: dependent qualification.jpg (129KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
dependent qualification.jpg
129KB, 640x579px
>>1179466
Sorry, used the wrong image/criteria (pic related).

If you're his child, and you're a full time student, it doesn't matter how much you earn.

Also, the "50% rule" is very hard to verify, and the ROI isn't worth it for the IRS to audit. The bottom line is, if he wanted to, your dad could claim you as a dependent and you could use his insurance. If you or he choose not to for whatever reason, that's for you to figure out.

My money is still on him doing it because he doesn't want to have to pay for your premiums.
>>
>>1179475
No his base pay of 42/hour doesn't change no matter how many people he claims on health insurance. I just looked at one of his pay stabs and all that's taken out is federal/state taxes/medicare/social security and union dues plus a 10% savings plan that the union provides. I just saw a paper from his union mapping out pay and benefits and his total pay comes out to 67/hour but the most he can take home is 42
>>
>>1179489
Exactly he doesn't claim me because I provide over 50% of my own support. Also when I looked it up health insurance has nothing to do with who you claim on taxes
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.