[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finance Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: jobless.jpg (87KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
jobless.jpg
87KB, 640x360px
Alright /biz/ my life is a complete shit. I graduated with a finance degree from an university in New York, unfortunately I couldn't get a job in my field. I have tried applying to banks and companies, but no luck. Hell they even said no to me on teller positions. I am stuck working in a shitty retail.

Did I do something wrong /biz/? What can I do with this finance degree and what is the best way to get a job in my field or anyway close to it? I am thinking of saving up and moving east to China, Thailand, or even the UAE, since I might have a better chance there. It helps that I am an American and can speak english perfectly and stand out from the usual crowd on those parts of the world.
>>
>>1178907

Why can't you find work? Did you have a very low GPA?

Also, I'm assuming you're looking for work in NY. Try looking for work in other cities and states.

Finally, use your university's job placement services. I'm assuming you went to a somewhat reputable university and it reflects badly on a college when its graduates can't find work so they're usually pretty motivated to place you.

Also, the placement center might have contact information of alumni in industry. Contact those alumni and see if they can't do a fellow alum a solid and help you land a job.
>>
>>1178907
most banks require a Master( not only bachelor ). For the moment studying finance in europe, probably have to do 2 interships before finding e decent job ( funds, IB, consulting etc.) GOOD LUCK
>>
>be yuropoor
>country wants big energy savings
>educate as energy technologist
>take bachelor too
>been an intern three different places
>finish bachelor back in jnauary
>haha, time for job
>lol no
>been to 2-3 interviews since
>currently doing a non-paid internship
At least I have something to wake to now.
You really do need to be 20 years old and have 30 years of experience to get in.
>>
If you come from a non-target school, forget about banks
>>
>>1180201
Friendo. Is IB by far more competitive than other common things people do with finance degrees?

Could you give me a rundown of what is the most challenging and what is subjectively the best route to take for a career?
>>
>>1178907
Go to Zurich
>>
>>1180279
IB very competitive long hours(14-16 hours a day);long term i would never suggest it but for 6 months or 1year experience would be the best thing on your CV.
Working in a Fund is god tier ( hard to get in , great payoff and you get normal working hours)
Best route it depends by you how challenging you are, i would go for Derivatives market or Fixed income then after some years of experince i would probably apply for private equity of invesment funds
>>
>>1180290
Friendo, I just got offered work at a financial services firm. I'm a first year so all I will be doing is filing, getting coffees etc.

Is this a good start to end up in a fund. I would definitely prefer to end up in a fund or prop trading. I like looking at markets and what not.
>>
>>1180295
you should see the potential that the current job has to offer after one year (look at your colleagues ask them when they started and how many years they have been working there, you will create an idea of the environment )
Everyone starts from the bottom so dont worry "coffe lunch" its all normal
>>
It's a meme degree like STEM in that everyone is doing it. Because of this, mediocre graduates get jack shit.
>>
>>1180191
Is a 3.4 gpa considered low? I did well on all of my major classes with an average gpa of 3.7-3.8. The problem is that there are like 2-3 classes that bought my overall gpa down (the professors sucked, and I mean they did suck. My friend took one of the same class that I did bad on and he got an A with another professor......sigh.....).

Also I've have tried the university job service but it wasn't much of a help. So i gave up on it. I am currently trying Linkedin and Indeed to find work that is available.
>>
>>1180495
3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) is easily good enough to find work and 3.7-3.8 in your major is quite good. I'm not sure if your overall GPA is high enough to get hired by the elite IBs but your major GPA is. The problem, as other have stated in this thread, is that you have to have graduated from one of the colleges they target.

You can still get in if your college isn't on the list but you'll need to know someone inside the company who will champion you, though.

Unless your college is a total garbage school, you should be able to find work relatively easily. Are you a good interviewer? I think your school's placement center should have some services to help you interview better.

Anyway, keep trying and don't get discouraged. From what you've written, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to find a good job. And make sure you don't settle for a crappy salary when you get an offer! Your starting salary is very important to what you will make in the future.

I'm guessing that a finance major should make $55K - $65K starting. I'm just guess, though, so do your homework on this.

Good luck.
>>
>>1181280
Thanks I will keep on trying. I believe the main problem here is that I do not have any experience out of school. I tried to apply for internships during my time in college but it was difficult and I failed to get any. But yea I will keep trying. I am contacting Alumni's through LinkedIn to see if I can get any opportunities, and practice my interview skills.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.