[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can Uber survive self-driving cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: New-Logo-Vertical-Dark[1].jpg (142KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
New-Logo-Vertical-Dark[1].jpg
142KB, 1000x1000px
How can Uber survive self-driving cars?
>>
>>1178163
I'm sure the company itself will survive. Just replace the drivers with the self driving mechanism. Costs will go down tremendously. Cars are sitting in a parking lot 98% of the time. With lower costs for rides, people will be incentivized to not own a car, but simply just call for an Uber whenever they need something.
>>
>>1178163
>how can American Airlines survive teleportation devices?
>>
>>1178163
People who use uber typically don't have the money for a car, let alone self driving car
>>
I don't knwo what you're talking about.

uber IS self driving cars.
>>
You're literally retarded. Uber is practically funding the research for self driving cars they want them so bad.

Honestly I think it is a mistake on their part, they will have to take the hit for depreciation on their vehicles, gas costs, maintenance, and higher insurance rates that the drivers are taking now. Considering they pay their drivers practically nothing I think it would be cheaper for them under the current system.
>>
File: ss (2016-04-06 at 03.53.14).jpg (28KB, 638x389px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-04-06 at 03.53.14).jpg
28KB, 638x389px
>>1178169

But right now they are reaping extreme network effects due to being first mover. They have the most drivers so thats what the customers use and because they have the customers thats also where the drivers go and so on. Lyft, June and other services can't really gain any traction because of this.

Self-driving cars are going to absolutely destroy their monopoly because any competitor will be able to buy a bunch of cars and sell rides through an app.
>>
>>1178186
By that point everyone will be familiar with Uber, have used it before, and have the app on their phone and an account created linked to their credit card account.

Nobody is going to want to fuck around and be the guinea pig for some random startup. It's like, hypothetically anyone can open a fast food franchise, but McDonalds has the process down so cheap and so efficient who wants to bother trying to replace them? And what stranger would eat at Joe's Burger Shack with a McDonalds right next door?

Plus, there is actually a lot of technology invested in Uber. I think they do their own mapping. It would be better for Apple or GM or whoever to just buy them out than try to compete.
>>
>>1178186
Except Uber will have more cars on the street, leading to shorter wait times.
>>
>>1178176
>depreciation on their vehicles
Just another tax deduction on the spreadsheet, besides, they'll probably lease their vehicles

Also OP there's a thing called foreign markets
>>
>>1178163
>how can a company survive robots being invented that replace their labor force
idk man, not having to pay their drivers anymore because they aren't human is going to be tough and they'll probably be fucked

just remember how bad it was for safeway when self checkout lanes were invented and people started bagging their own shit without getting paid for it
>>
>>1178163

The real question is how can UBER survive?

They cut their rates to shit, and the drivers hate them. Constant turnover eventually spells disaster for a company. It just hasn't happened yet.

Besides, I don't know why in fuck I keep seeing all this automation shit on 4chan. its AT LEAST 20 years away.

You can't automate all the shit that can go wrong while a car is driving.

> Oh there's a pile of nails on the highway that the AI camera doesn't pick up on
> 4 flats at once
> crash at 70mph
>>
>>1178163
Self-driving cars are Uber's whole business plan. Humans drivers are only a stop-gap until driverless cars become viable and legal.

The near future of transport is fleets of driverless cars. Using these fleets to get around will be way cheaper than owning your own car. It could even be free due to advertising in the cars. Uber plans to be the major player in this game. They will basically be like Google but for irl transport.
>>
OP are you retarded?

UBER whole masterplan is to get rid of drivers. Cut out the middleman. Drivers are crying over how uber is treating them like shit, well they dont realise how expendable they are and that uber gives 2 shits about its drivers cause it will replace them as soon as it can.

>>1178176
>yfw they pay a couple of pennys to use people's cars when not in use by the owner.
>>
1) Self driving cars are not going to be widely consumer available till ~2020

2) The cost will prevent 99% of people from switching to self driving cars over the next 40 years. There are still a large number of people still driving 80's-90's cars right now

3) Self driving cars don't compete with Uber's business model at all, and if anything, enhance it.
>>
>>1178236
This tech is already here
That shit will take less than 5 years to work out.

Self driving cars don't need to be perfect, they just need to be safer than a human driving, which they are. You wouldn't stand much of a chance in that crash scenario either.
>>
>>1178163
>How can a company whose largest expense is paying people to drive cars survive cars that can drive themselves?
>>
>>1178170
Only correct answer.

I know this is a chink comic board, but can we try to act 18+ occasionally. Completely automated transportation is a fucking ZYGOTE.

Idiots...
>>
>>1178292
>UBER whole masterplan is to get rid of drivers.
>>1178236
>They cut their rates to shit, and the drivers hate them

How the hell they even got drivers to work for them in the first place is beyond me. Shit, you're better off just being a regular old cabby
>>
>>1179084

there is a entry cost to become a real cabby

uber capitalizes on tards with no money who think they can make quick bucks working for them
>>
>>1178169
>lower costs for rides
A business providing a cheap service, that's a good one.
>>
>>1179608
This. Driving cab is hard work. Driving for Uber is hard work, it just doesn't suck as hard as driving a cab.

I feel bad for the Uber and Lyft drivers I ride with. They're good people, it's more fun than riding with cabbies, but that's because they're not burned out yet. (And because they don't have $500K+ in debt hanging over their head for the medallion.)

But I know that Uber's present valuation (and Lyft's) is dependent on the assumption that robot cars will enable the company to eliminate the human drivers (and the expense of paying them) entirely.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.