[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a construction worker a good job? >be outside during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: office space.gif (998KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
office space.gif
998KB, 500x267px
Is being a construction worker a good job?

>be outside during the upcoming summer
>the hands-on nature of the work means you're always focuses and engaged
>pretty decent pay
>I could get into a skilled trade from it

So should I start applying /biz/? Or have I just watched Office Space too many times?
>>
>>1177696
Do you even lift? You might get bullied by big men and iron workers union on the construction site. You can get a heavy equipment operators license for about tree fiddy.
>>
>>1177696
Manual labor sucks shit but if Bernie gets 15/hr min wage passed I'll be right there with you.

Pls rub sun block on my back brother
n-no homo
>>
>>1177709
>doing construction for minimum wage of 15 an hour
>not cashier
Kek
>>
>>1177709
>working construction for 15 dollars an hour

Have you ever worked in construction? That's an extremely low wage.
>>
File: HAT UP.png (3MB, 2560x1513px) Image search: [Google]
HAT UP.png
3MB, 2560x1513px
Construction is one of those weird trap jobs like bartender or server. Most people never make it out of poverty.
the money is good enough to party and have a decent life.
If you're a guy who hustles to get shit done you'll do very well.

The trap is two fold. During economic downturns work disappears or moves. These moves and gaps are expensive, and if you partied all your cash away, hey welcome to service economy hell.
Second most of your coworkers are dumber than a box of rocks with money. Lots of drugs and alcohol make it really easy to cope with the tedious nature of the work.

If you can escape the trap w/ extensive savings or another job or some passive income during the down years. you'll come away sweet.

The best thing though is no one wants to do this work. If you start up a niche business and are real entrepreneurial about it, you'll be a millionaire before you're 40. You'll really want to learn PPP law and keep an eye on the larger jobs.

Best thing is to automate the money while you're in the shit. look at Ramit's IWTY2BR

http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

and maybe dream job under triplemaximumwageslave.

But most of all Go talk to some construction workers and ask them to try and talk you out of it.
>>
>>1177742
desu I just want a full time job where I do something straight-forward that doesn't leave any room for window gazing, where I take nothing home and I can go back to my place and drink a beer and play some vidya. I'm seriously tired of this Jewish "work 2 part time jobs one third shift one where the shifts change every week" meme. Fuck I want to be a grown up with a real job.
>>
>>1177753
Work in a factory
>>
>>1177742
>The best thing though is no one wants to do this work. If you start up a niche business and are real entrepreneurial about it, you'll be a millionaire before you're 40.

There is little crossover between people "willing to bust ass doing construction" and "can build a successful business" Worked for a guy who could do the work, but had issues with the money. He is running on credit in a good market for McMansions. I can see him making it if he gets his debt issues under control.

>>1177758
Warehouse work is also good for this.
>>
>>1177696
>Is being a construction worker a good job?
NO, it is not. I worked in construction, it is not a good job, it is a hard job. I worked for a year in carpentry, fuck that, I have a nice office job now. Every year you spend working on construction is a year less of your life desu senpai.
>>
File: 1346225440595.png (576KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1346225440595.png
576KB, 600x600px
>>1177777
>1177777
>>1177777
>>1177777

checked
>>
>>1177696

It's a good stepping stone, but you don't wanna do it for more than 1 year.

Just use it to learn carpentry, framing, concrete and other stuff.

Then start your own company. That's what I did.

And yes, I'm living the real life Peter Gibbons story. I went from a cubicle to work boots and am much much happier.
>>
>>1177828
>And yes, I'm living the real life Peter Gibbons story. I went from a cubicle to work boots and am much much happier.

tell me more anon. I dropped out of college a few weeks ago because the malaise was killing me and I realized it was never going to end if I continued in my field (accounting). I want to do a trade or something but I don't want to get deluded into some fantasy that isn't real either.
>>
>>1177758
>>1177777
Good suggestions. Warehouse work pays less but is more relaxed than factory work from what I hear. I only have warehouse experience, but it's a pretty nice option if you've made too many mistakes in life. Nobody watches you and they blast music all day. They take everyone, so if you're a autistic neet with no job history you'll have no problem. You can move up pretty fast too if you show even a tad bit of motivation and intelligence. It's a much better alternative than getting a mcjob in my opinion.

Just be prepared for a lot of banter.
>>
File: Master Bath.jpg (45KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Master Bath.jpg
45KB, 800x534px
>>1177833

> first "big boy" job out of college
> worked in a payroll office
> the training sucked, my coworkers sucked, it was a drab and gay fucking office
> every minute was just soul sucking and awful
> couldn't sleep at night
> hated going to work
> hated every moment there
> nothing in common with coworkers
> hated the very thing I was tasked with doing

They were paying me about $45k a year, but man did I hate it. I literally felt trapped. Any time the boss wanted he could walk past my cubicle and hand me something, and I had to do it. I'm just not built for this shit.

> Quit that job
> Got a job at a tiling company making $15/hr
> I loved showing up in workboots and getting dirty
> I loved talking how I wanted and not worrying about "PC office language"
> I loved the attitude of just men doing work, and not gay ass corporate culture
> but the work wasn't that great, it got old fast and was hurting my back and neck. Some nights I went home very tired.

After like 6 months, I said fuck this. Went online and formed an LLC, made a website, social media account, and printed out 1000 flyers for tile services (kitchen, bathroom, backsplash).

Within a few days I got my first customer, then another, and another, etc...

Now I'm the boss, so the contract money goes straight into my pocket. Every week I make at least $1k, and never work more than like 25 - 30 hours a week.

I've posted my story before. I think there's many other anons like me that cant stand that suit and tie bullshit. I love what I do and can only go up from here.
>>
File: 1387505926909.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1387505926909.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
>>1177868
thanks anon, I'll see you at the top.
>>
>>1177709
>15/hr min wage
kek obviously never worked blue collar.. That's peanuts.
>>
>>1177881

Not in the midwest
>>
>>1177881
the craigslist ads I'm looking at say like 9-12$/hr
>>
ITT
>comment about $15/hr min wage
>HURR DURR redditors everywhere
>know-it-all plebs AXCTUALLY $15/hr for construction is quite low
>according to your extensive experience
>breathing heavily

Never change /biz/
>>
I worked on a construction site for one month during my Higschool time

It's not fun, even the people there were dreadful and urging me to get a proper education
>>
>>1177696

You've been watching too much Office Space. Being in construction exposes you to serious health hazards. You're either at risk of being in an accident or you're exposing yourself to toxins that fucks you up years down the line. You're also being paid really shit money. Not service-employee low but really damn low. That being said, becoming a tradesman is an easy path to starting your own business, and if you're part of a union you can take advantage of the benefits and job security that come with it. But keep your health in mind.
>>
>>1177878

Good luck bro.

It all starts with that first sale.
>>
>>1177977
We had these 'hippies' coming from desk jobs trying to do construction work, thinking this is somekind of a commune where we all sing jolly songs and drink beer while doing something constructive. didn't last long, but I reckon had more motivation afterwards to stay at their desk jobs.

>Any time the boss wanted he could walk past my cubicle and hand me something, and I had to do it. I'm just not built for this shit.
you would do idiotic bullshit like carrying crap from A to B all day. tiling is not construction work, it is finalisation or refurbishing, don't give the kid false hopes.

t. work in a construction company, started by working on a construction site
>>
>>1177918
that was the opposite of my experience. I was accused of being too educated by me peers. they also laid off half the team after my first week.
>>
>>1178015
I wasn't implying that I was under qualified for the job or anything. They were telling me to get a proper education so I don't end up like them
>>
>>1177912

If you get a heavy equipment license or are a foreman you can pull 35-40 an hour based on the construction bids I've worked on.
>>
>>1177912

Your dead on. Except for the fact that even unskilled heavy highway laborers make $25/hr.
>>
I'm 21 and have been in the construction trade since 16 started out as a hvac laborer which shit then a tech which was shit now I'm just in the excavation side of things so I literally sit in a dump truck all day and take dirt from point a to point b shits cash
>>
>>1177696

>be outside during the upcoming summer
work in shit weather 80% of the time

>the hands-on nature of the work means you're always focuses and engaged
literally break down your body for a living

>pretty decent pay
replaceable employee

>I could get into a skilled trade from it
mite
>>
As with any job it probably depends on the company you work for.

I have friends that work for different elevator companies essentially doing the same job and they either hate their lives or love them.
>>
>>1177707
this. ur gonna get you tiny twink butthole invaded by true, big, strong men.
>>
>>1177868
>After like 6 months, I said fuck this. Went online and formed an LLC, made a website, social media account, and printed out 1000 flyers for tile services (kitchen, bathroom, backsplash).
This is how you're supposed to do it. I work blue collar labor gigs and my boss just drives us to the work site and sits on his phone all day while we bust our asses for measly pay. Meanwhile he pockets a majority of the money.
>>
>>1177696
I always thought that bit at the end of Office Space about construction being a good job was meant to be ironic.
>>
>>1177868
Congrats man. Sounds awesome.
>>
>>1177696
Le bump
>>
>>1177742
>>1178072
>>1177977

It really seems like you're all ignoring the points the above anons made, namely physical degradation. Only a few extremely hardy specimens make it out of a lifetime's career relatively okay -everyone else has some pretty debilitating physical ailments if not cancers, etc. from exposure. These people are fuel for infrastructure.
>>
>>1177735
lmao no it's not. unless you're union 18 is high for a laborer. try 14 bucks dude
>>
>>1177696
If you get into a union yeah. Base pay/health benefits/retirement. Only thing is when the economy slows you might be laid off and out of work depending on what union you get into
>>
28 yo construction worker here with 9 years exp. I'm close to foreman, make ~$30/hr, work side jobs and have an on-call nightjob to save enough to put a downpayment on my first remodel. it has taken me a decade to amass the skills necessary to do a full remodel 90% myself. it is very rewarding work if you dont drink or do drugs. Be smart with your money and work with your mind, not your body. You can learn skills that will always be in demand if you pay attention and dont come in hungover all the time
>>
>>1177977
Office Space hits close to home for some of us in IT though. Who hasn't just had enough of fixing worthless Indian shit for the thousandth time? At one point in my career I seriously considered applying to a steel mill just to get out of where I was.
>>
>>1177696
It's a good job to pay for college

>always away from home
>physical labor gets old when you do
>low pay
>no job security
>1m mexicans looking to replace you for 1/6th of your wage

To get a trade you need to apprentice as one not just go work construction and expect it to happen.
>>
>>1177696

I just realized the gif is me irl. I'm slightly exaggerating; I do about four hours of real work in a given week. I'm about to get a raise.

And you know what?

I complain about my job every goddamn day.
>>
/biz/ I just saw a position for a glazier apprentice open up...that's an actual trade that makes pretty good moneys, do I go for it???
>>
>>1179880
>Pick a field that you'll be interested in. Electrician, Laborer, Cement, Bricklayer, Pipefitter, etc.
>Google "(field) union", ex: "Electrical Union"
>Call the union up.
>"Hi, I'm interested in joining the union, do you have a list of all the union contractors that you can e-mail me or that I can pick up?"
>Get your ass up at 6am and show up at these places and ask for an application and interview on the spot.
>1 a day at least. Get your ass hired as an apprentice.
>You'll start at around $13-$15 an hour but get raises every 6 months.
>Work hard and don't be a dumbass.
>If it rains, show up. Snow? Show up. You won't get laid off.
>Become journeyman after about 3 years.
>Make $30+ an hour
>Continue a few more years, save your money and then do what other anon suggested and start your own company
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.