[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does /biz/ keep its backups?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: USB-Hard-Drive1.jpg (30KB, 1000x658px) Image search: [Google]
USB-Hard-Drive1.jpg
30KB, 1000x658px
Hey /biz/ so I'm one of those people who are paranoid as fuck of losing my data so I have 3 physical backups of all my critical data. If you are like I am, losing my stuff would mean losing 2-3 years of my life.

Being the paranoid fuck that I am, I am also suspicious of all of those cloud backup services looking at my data and selling my info to google. However, I have reached the point in my life where I have too much data (5TB, external hard drives are killing me) and just need to take the risk. I'll probably just veracrypt my stuff before I upload it or something. What website should I be using?
>>
>>1175934
If you are like me you probably have a lot of music, tv shows, and movies. If you don't give those as high a priority for backup, then it becomes much easier to create a viable backup plan.
>>
>>1175981
Another way to think of it is that if it can be torrented easily or whether it is easily available to stream and that streaming service price is similar to the amount you would pay for a viable cloud backup service in the terabyte range.
>>
>>1175934

I have maybe 30 GB of images, 100 GB of music, and an unknown volume of videos. Currently, I only need a single 1TB external to fit everything, and I own an identical second 1TB external as my backup.

As my video library expands, I'll face the same dilemma, OP. I don't like the idea of "cloud" storage and having to pay a subscription fee, so I'll probably continue to buy additional externals, which I hope will become more viable as file sizes shrink due to more efficient video formats and improved harddrive technology.

>>1175986

>if it can be torrented easily

Torrent quality tends to be garbage. Especially for movies - encoding quality is terrible and I prefer to make my own.

>whether it is easily available to stream

Anything you can find on streaming is extremely tentative, since the license contracts are so short-term. Videos can disappear in a flash. Not even non-copywriting-violating youtube videos are safe, and you should manually download your favorite videos as .mp4s via Youtube-DL or risk the uploader deleting their history on a whim.
>>
>>1176023
>Anything you can find on streaming is extremely tentative
The point is whether the content is rare. Home photos are rare. A movie that one day is on Amazon and the next month on Hulu is not rare and shouldn't be backed up.
>>
>>1175934

Fireproof safe. Never give it a second thought.
>>
>>1175934
>I am also suspicious of all of those cloud backup services looking at my data and selling my info to google
I use SpiderOak, they at least claim to do client side encryption and have no access to your data. Of course, they could be forced to release an altered software by the gubment. But as long as gubment isn't in your threat model, you'll probably be fine with them.

Personally I use SpiderOak for my most important work files, and then occasionally sync to a couple of USB sticks for larger, less important stuff that would take ages to upload. (2x backups plus SpiderOak)

Just make sure you don't lose your password, or you've lost the data. Lack of a password recovery option is a good sign that the cloud service cannot access your data :)
>>
File: 1458702242635.png (139KB, 425x552px) Image search: [Google]
1458702242635.png
139KB, 425x552px
>>1175934

I keep it on a shelf in my apt, everything is cut into pieces and I hold a piece in a small flash drive hidden somewhere in my car.

Everything is encrypted, the more important files like projects, ideas, ex gf photos I keep on different cloud sites.

I started doing after coming home to see my computer tower was missing a screw, which means someone could have cloned my entire hds.

I update every three weeks or so.
>>
>>1176198
That shirt is great.
>>
>>1175934

> 5TB

What the fuck are you storing bro?

All my work files from the last 3 years is like 10GB
>>
>>1175934
>Sia.tech
>Maidsafe.net
>Storj.io

Literally shilled every week
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-05_00-03-31.png (108KB, 358x349px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-05_00-03-31.png
108KB, 358x349px
Someone's backing it up
>>
>>1176907
yeah you do not want to risk important data to those experimental services
>>
>>1175934
i keep it in google drive so i can access it anywhere.. im prolly gonna regret this in the future
>>
>>1177162
I would trust Sia desu. If you're using it as an extra backup it can't hurt. Veracrypt it like you would before putting it on Google drive if you're worried about that aspect. The platform itself encrypts it and shards it before sending out to lots of different people to be stored though iirc.
>>
>>1177229
Trust it with your life projects? No thanks
>>1176198
Was a missing screw the only change in your apt? You really have an eye for details
>>
>>1177279
Trust it as an extra backup? Sure why not.

New technology needs some people to take risks on it before it can be proven reliable. Store your data on punch cards if you want to be safe.
>>
>>1175934
Don't accrue so much goddamn data. Or don't regard it all as 'crucial'.
>>
>>1177229
I am a Sia hodler myself... and sure, use it as an extra backup. Just not the only.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.