[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S.O.S.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sos.png (115KB, 803x407px) Image search: [Google]
sos.png
115KB, 803x407px
Hi /biz/ first time here. I am writing regarding my parents financial situation. I am worried about them because they have so much of their 401k in stocks.

This is what they have saved together:
$740,000 401k in stocks
$30,000 CD fund

Annually they bring in:
$180,000 father working
$80,000 retirement from previous job
$150,000 mother working

What they are paying off:
$250,000 house mortgage
$50,000 car just purchased
+ paying for children’s school loans
+ garbage on credit cards

I am sure my parents have no idea what they are doing because they are not educated in finances past what they hear from others at work and what they see on TV.

Can any of you out there give me some advice that I can give my parents regarding their financial situation? I plan on sending them the link to this discussion in order that they can plan ahead for the future. I have heard certain people discussing the current economic situation and they have said it is not wise to have your money in stocks at the moment. If you have any questions for me please ask. If /biz/ had parents in this situation what would /biz/ advise?
>>
>>1174208
Just shut the fuck up and leave them alone. They are doing just fine.

If you want to help them in some way, get rid of those fucking day-glo orange soccer shoes and throw away that god awful flat brim ball cap with "Sox" on it. Quit showing them your new tattoos. Stop drenching yourself in Axe. Put the vidya games away for a couple of hours. Stop scrolling your fucking phone during family meals and get a plastic surgeon to fix the fucking limp empty holes in your earlobes, Gauge -man. Quit sticking tape to your cat's foot for entertainment and quit coming out of the bathroom saying "that brown anaconda was a 7 ringer!"
>>
>>1174219
Oh kek, it's one of /biz/'s resident 50 year olds.

The old timer is right though OP. Your parents are fine.
>>
>>1174220
Is it smart having all of your 401k in stocks at the moment? I spend most of the time on /pol/ and am waiting for the happening. I keep hearing shit about the stock market crashing.
>>
>>1174219
I don't have any of those issues you are referring to except maybe a 7 ringer at times. I am an early 30 year old in medical school because a biology degree wasn't cutting it in the job market. I do not come from a merchant family or culture and this world is changing faster than ever. The economy is a mystery to me.
>>
>>1174224
It depends on when you plan on retiring. Generally as a rule of thumb when you get closer to retiring you want to start putting more of your retirement into safer investments such as CD's or bonds. I imagine your parents are probably in their mid to upper 40's, possibly lower 50's and don't plan on retiring for a while just yet, so they are fine. If they are less than ten years from retiring then they should consider making future contributions to safer investments.

That said, if both of your parents are making six figure salaries I don't know what you're so worried about. You literally have no idea how much worse it is for most people.
>>
>>1174241
My parents are in their mid 60s and I worry something is going to happen sooner than later and that they could lose their savings. Am I just being paranoid?
>>
>>1174243
I don't know why you think showing your parents a discussion on a Burmese cave painting forum is going to somehow make them rethink their retirement plan.

You are paranoid, and a little bit dumb too. If you want to give them some sound advice, ask them to see a financial adviser and not send them to /biz/.
>>
>>1174243
>Am I just being paranoid?
Yes. You're not worried about them losing their savings, you're worried about losing your inheritance.
Anyway, going 100% equities in your 60s is a bit harsh. They should definitely transition into a 60/40 stock/bond portfolio in the future. In either case, even in the events of a market crash, they will have enough to support themselves until they die.
>>
>>1174249
I looked up financial advisers on the web a couple of times and it seems like financial advisers are geared towards people that have a couple of million. Are there financial advisers that are geared towards the middle class?
>>
>>1174257
You would need to do some research to find a planner to fit your needs. Your parents are not poor middle class slobs who can't figure this out. They earn over $300k/yr as a household, this is not middle class for a second.
>>
>>1174290
>>1174254
Thanks for your advice /biz/. I appreciate it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.