[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

University in UK: What to study?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: jc.jpg (557KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
jc.jpg
557KB, 1280x800px
/biz/, I'm an 18 y/o in the UK on track to get some really fantastic grades in physics, chemistry and maths, and I've got a lot of offers from a redbrick uni's to go and study physics with them. The thing is though, /biz/, I want money. I've always lived in poverty and I've always studied like a bastard because I want more than anything to escape that. The fact that I'm studying subjects that I love is just a bonus to that fact. Anyway, I'll get onto my question:
I need to know what I should study at university that will allow me to make the greatest salary. Is physics useful in this regard? Am I better off going into maths? Maybe some kind of engineering?
Also, I plan on having a gap year between college and university, to allow me to apply for courses a year ahead. This will also allow me to do some work, letting me get a little bit of money that I could hopefully spend on a few weeks travelling, keeping some for university. Is this a bad plan? What's the best job I could feasibly get with not too many connections, but pretty shining grades (probably looking like A*,AA) and a solid work ethic?
>>
Physics isn't particularly useful by itself I would say, maths or chemical engineering would probably be a better option if you want to make a lot of money.

If you do a gap year make sure you're going to definitely have a job and not just doss for a year, depending on where you live, getting a job straight after your a levels may not be easy.
>>
Which Universities?
>>
>>1174178
Unless you have mad connections or are a genius (in which case it doesn't really matter what you study) I'd suggest considering going for something which is required for access to a monopolistic professional licence like engineering, law, medicine and so on.
The reasons for this is that as you know government intervention distorts the market and in the case of artificially restricting competition in these fields, this should mean you get a very attractive salary. Idk how your doctors get reimbursed for the NHS stuff though so you'd have to look into that.
>>
Any of ChemE/Aero/EEE at Cambridge or Imperial, will give you the most options. You have the banking route, management consultancy etc. You also have the option to go into high paying engineering jobs as well.

Outside of Cambridge/Imperial, going into banking with an engineering degree is more difficult but not impossible.
>>
>>1174271

The grades for those courses are typically A*A*A or A*AAA. Some offers may be A*A*A* or A*A*AA but it depends on how your interview goes.
>>
>>1174183
I've read how physics has a lot of work in oil and gas, but I'm uncertain if with the recent oil prices, those fields aren't as attractive. But regarding work, 100%. I live in Birmingham. What would be the best sort of job to apply for, do you think?
>>1174195
Interesting point of view. Though with no biology education whatsoever, I don't think medicine is particularly open to me.But everything else sounds pretty relevant.
>>1174271
>Outside of Cambridge/Imperial, going into banking with an engineering degree is more difficult but not impossible.
Would that be true for most engineering degrees?
>>1174275
Is there any chance of getting to those courses with A*AA? Failing that, where else would be good to apply?

Thanks for all the useful information guys.
>>
>>1174284

Physics and Chemistry at Imperial would be worth looking at. The financial support there for low income families is also one of the best in the UK
>>
>>1174305
I was very unaware of that, thank you.
>>
Is comp sci as good of an idea to do in the UK as it is in the US?
>>
>>1174434
I know an actual genius who developed some real good machine learning theories and he lives in a shitty flat in exeter with no job. It's a gamble to go comp sci
>>
>>1174891
This is my nightmare about getting a P.hD.
>>
>>1174891

I know multiple comp sci guys with internships in facebook/google/Microsoft. Others went into IB. The key is not to go to a shit tier uni.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.