[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Start Up Companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1428146542064.jpg (86KB, 412x385px) Image search: [Google]
1428146542064.jpg
86KB, 412x385px
Why don't start up companies seem to appreciate any of their employees? You'd think it would be the exact opposite.

Two years ago I joined a start up gas and electric supplier as I thought it would be a great place to get recognised and get rewarded for hard work.

They don't seem to give a shit about anyone that works there, the salaries are very rigid with no room to negotiate. There's no point working harder as you wont be paid more so everyone in the company just does the bare minimum.

Last month I saved the company £1,500,000 ($2,134,425) and prevented the regulator from pulling our licence and I got a "well done". Do you know how much I get paid? A measly £18,000 ($25,000). At an established company I'd be earning £30,000 ($42,000). But unfortunately I can't go anywhere else as there's only 36 energy suppliers in the UK and you only need 1 of me in each one.
>>
>>1173991
>complains on /brit/
>comes to /biz/

alri lad haha
>>
which supplier? what sort of work do you do?
>>
>>1173999
I couldn't say which supplier as I could get in trouble. But it's one that's only been around a few years.

The work I do is one of a settlements analyst. But that job doesn't exist at my company even though I do it. So my actual job title is admin monkey.

I go through lists of accounts spat out by the regulator where errors have been detected, I fix the errors.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 409x409px
>>1173991
>deregulate everything
>cheap credit to any asshole who wants to start a business
>expecting that asshole to give a shit about employee satisfication when he can just get more cheap credit (which he doesn't have to pay back for years and also losses are exempt from taxation) and more cheap EU workers to replace you.

Welcome to life under the Tories OP.
>>
>>1174004
Guy that started my company is a multi billionaire foreigner
>>
>>1174005
Exactly. The government has literally put up Britain for sale with all the deregulation, and rich hawks like your billionaire foreigner only invest here to get a quick and fairly risk free ROI.

Minimum wage increases won't do shit when house, food and energy prices continue to increase on their own thanks to speculation, currency manipulation and price fixing by our import partners (we mostly import btw).
>>
>>1173991

>Why don't start up companies seem to appreciate any of their employees?

Fresh graduates are naive and can easily be lured by the prospects of making it big. Once you work them to death and they leave you get another one from the next crop of naive graduates.

>They don't seem to give a shit about anyone that works there, the salaries are very rigid with no room to negotiate. There's no point working harder as you wont be paid more so everyone in the company just does the bare minimum.

Startups are not know for having great working conditions or good pay. You can only get something out of it if it goes big and you were one of the first employees. But really it's like winning the lottery so I wouldn't recommend staying there.

>Last month I saved the company £1,500,000 ($2,134,425) and prevented the regulator from pulling our licence and I got a "well done". Do you know how much I get paid? A measly £18,000 ($25,000). At an established company I'd be earning £30,000 ($42,000). But unfortunately I can't go anywhere else as there's only 36 energy suppliers in the UK and you only need 1 of me in each one.

Well sounds like you found the reason why you're not being paid more. Sounds like a shitty position to be honest. Cannot you move into a different position?

>>1174004

It's more worrying that the all knowing market automatically decides that a bunch of amateurs are perfectly suited to run critical infrastructure. Until they fuck up and cause loads of economic damage of course. Then the tax payer probably ends up buying back the company, and once everything is fixed it gets privatized again. Sigh. I mean, that's not really ideology is it? It's looks like plain corruption to me.
>>
>>1174005

>Guy that started my company is a multi billionaire foreigner

That's even worst. Critical infrastructure should never be owned by foreigners.
>>
>>1174010
It's a gas an electric company I don't think it's really infrastructure?

An energy company is just a big corrupt middle man.
>>
>>1173991
>>1174002
>I saved the company £1,500,000 ($2,134,425)
>and I got a "well done"
>I fix the errors

So in other words.. you're doing the job you were hired to do? If that's the case you got a "well done" because you're doing your job.

I had this exact argument once with an employee who completely flipped out and ended up quitting because he lost sight of one simple concept:

Your employment is an agreement. You were hired to by X to do Y for Z amount of money. You're not entitled to a percentage of Y unless you specifically negotiated for that. To turn around and blame X for that is just plain lazy.

If they are in fact taking advantage of you because you allow them to. Now ask yourself, who is to blame for that? Be honest.

Market your skills more efficiently. If you're unable to do so it's time to find a new career or consider moving to a location more favorable to your field.
>>
>>1174018
It's not actually the job I was hired to do
>>
>>1174020
Then why are you doing it without negotiating better compensation?
>>
>>1174023
I did and it was denied.
>>
>>1174024
Time to walk then. Like >>1174009 said

>Once you work them to death and they leave you get another one from the next crop of naive graduates.

Don't be that guy.
>>
>>1174026
Sounds like he already is that guy.
You're just suggesting he complete the
>they leave you
part.
>>
>>1173991
Next time you find a way to save them a few million dollars, tell them how to save half the amount. Then tell them you'll reveal how to save the other half if they give you an immediate raise. If they say no, quit on the spot.
>>
>>1173991

I would shop your resume around online.

Maybe consider working in another country.

Does this company NEED you? If so tell them you are gonna walk if they don't pay you more. Thats negotiation 101. Anons on this board are way too scared to ask for money. It's not a big deal.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.