[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these actually worth the read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: biz booklist 3.gif (1MB, 1078x1660px) Image search: [Google]
biz booklist 3.gif
1MB, 1078x1660px
Are these actually worth the read?
>>
>>1172237
are you the same guy from the /lit/ thread?
and yes alot of them are worth a read if your interested in the subject matter
>>
For the love of.. why the fuck gif?
>>
>>1172343

probably because gif and png dont get really distorted. none of those titles would be legible if that was a jpg
>>
Most of these books are not available in the Net in proper format.
I guess if they are not worth pirating, they are not worth reading.
>>
>>1172766
not really, because there is no demand for it. plus people who torrent these days can't be bothered reading when you have tons of movies and shit
>>
>>1172237
>Including Das Capital in the list
If you want to read about political economics you should read Hayek
>>
The problem with those, is they are /biz/lit/ tier, for later in life. If you're young, I recommend reading /biz/sci/ tier textbooks.

I would like to invite other Anons to contribute and we can make another compilation. Here's my recommended learning:

Calculus: Gilbert, Jordan, Guide to Mathematical Methods
Linear Algebra: Strang, Linear Algebra and its Applications
Statistics: Rice, Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis
Probability: Jacod, Protter, Probability Essentials (relatively obscure)

Corporate Finance: Myers, Brealey, Principles of Corporate Finance
Investments: Sharpe, Alexander, Bailey, Investments.

Furthermore, the CFA offers a mile wide and a shallow deep curriculum, but it might be good in this case. It touches on EVERYTHING about the capital markets. I recommending pirating the self-study volumes from the Chinese Google. In fact, you can find all of these for free, but most should be available in some University library.
>>
"I am God" - Martin Shkreli is the only book you'll need
>>
Warren Buffett describes The Intelligent Investor as "the best book about investing ever written."
>>
>>1174042
bumb, more books pls
>>
>>1174081
Check out this list for ideas:

quantstart.com/articles/Quantitative-Finance-Reading-List

(Note: Be extremely cautious about blogs, as their articles are carefully tailored to sell some product or service like CV-checks etc. Never pay for Netflix when you have Yify)

Check out this thread too for video lectures:

>>>/sci/7941588
>>
>>1172787
Torrenting books is dumb anyway. IRC is the medium to pirate books.
>>
>>1172379
Bullshit 3: The sentence
>>
>>1174042
>>1174047
>>1174092
Thanks.
>>
>>1174104
tell me more, I'd read so much more if I knew where to get pirated books
>>
>>1175391
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Bookz

Used to be in the sticky of /lit/, but it still works just as well.
>>
>>1174047
>"I am God" - Martin Shkreli
Do you have link to this book?
>>
Some of them, yeah. Don't bother with marx, most of the economics books, and most of the real estate shit. For dummies books tend to be shit.

I can recommend Your Money or your life, richest man in babylon, carnegie, and desu anything by Trump or Buffet would be good. A lot of these books are written by fuckface retards who later go broke, so how good is their advice? Toilet paper. Google the authors. Also read up on rationality and cognitive biases.

>>1175391
>if I knew where to get pirated books

A ten year old can figure this out. You just blow in from r3ddit?
>>
>>1172237

Reading The Big Short at the minute, it's quite good.
>>
>>1174047
>>1175939
Does it even exist?
>>
>>1172237
is the shit in Forex: patterns and probabilities applicable to cryptos or are there significant differences?
>>
>>1177198
Honestly, I'm a newb, but as far as I know the only crypto worthwhile is BitCoin and it's extremely volatile, so the predictions you make using Forex patterns, might not be very accurate.
Besides, cryptos seem to be only bubbles (DogeCoin) and pyramid-schemes (OneCoin).
>>
>>1172833
Exactly.

Kenyesian economic practices can die.

>>1172237
>No Creature from Jekyll Island

It's almost as if this list were intended to keep the reader in debt.
>>
File: 1455588011359.jpg (1MB, 6536x1906px)
1455588011359.jpg
1MB, 6536x1906px
Working on updating this list.

We need more business, spin up and operations, management. Structuring.

The real estate books here are only mediocre, nothing valuable.

legal is weak. Need more on trusts, partnerships, PPM

The economics section needs review for repetitiveness and source better source materials.

maybe an international section.
>>
>>1172237
Read actual books, no "how to git rich" shit. Make sure to read The Black Swan, a biography of Keynes, Capital by Thomas Piketty (whether you agree with him or not), and everything this guy posted: >>1174042
>>
>>1172237
those books are all basically the same information presented differently. if you read one you've read them all. just read the intelligent investor. its a book that is nothing more than common sense and if you find anything about it "ground breaking" you might be in the wrong field.
>>
>>1177619
Babylon, Idiot and Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow can be supplementary for kids or smth, b/c they aren't useless books. (Babylon is simply very basic advice; Idiot is for altruisitic people; Thinking Fast is some pop psychology.)
>>
>>1172833
>>1177548
>austrian school
>relevant

pick one
>>
File: time_to_be_serious.jpg (180KB, 580x542px) Image search: [Google]
time_to_be_serious.jpg
180KB, 580x542px
Think and Grow Rich is 90% filler, same for 7 Habits For Highly Effective People. They're those books that you'd be better off reading a review of instead of actually reading.

48 Laws of Power and How To Win Friends and Influence People are perfect for understanding when someone is trying to manipulate you. If you're trying to manipulate someone who hasn't read shit like that, you practically can make them do whatever you want.

The Intelligent Investor is great and you're a dumb nigger if you don't read it before you start investing.

The Millionaire Next Door truly should be a required read for anyone who wants to become a millionaire. It's easily the best first book for anything related to money.

Shit like Rich Dad Poor Dad and MONEY from that 6'10" tony the tiger faggot are bullshit.

>>1172237
>>1177619
>>
Most books here, are too info-heavy and boring, good as a long-term goal so you don't have to call an accountant or CFA every time you have a dumb questions.

The Millionaire Fastlane was the most scammy sounding and least appealing book of them all.
I read it last.
I wish I had read it first.
Way better than expected, and covers the one thing all these books leave out, or mention in passing.

Namely, that a brand, book(s), course(s), info product(s), organization, tribe, team, network, etc is the wealth key, and systems (what you do, and how you do it) is fundamental, not a bunch of academic or professional tier info.

Mostly dumb guesses and persistence get you further, because you gain IRL experience first hand.

The guy trying ten stupid ideas a year will outpace you, while you spend 5 years perfecting some 'perfect conditions' business plan.

I think Kiyosaki is great, because he mentions it too - but you have to read between the lines and see what he actually does, not just what he says he does...

Anybody seriously recommending Babylon but hating on Kiyosaki probably hasn't read anything by him IMHO.
The Richest Man In Babylon?
Each chapter was literally one in a series of pamphlets printed by a bank* in the 50's, for children, to encourage them to save money and not buy sweets and toys and shit.

*your first 'red flag' - your money should be in a bank as a teenager or pensioner, in between, it should be anywhere but a bank. Either spend wisely, and build business/assets/capital, or spunk it and enjoy it.

**your second 'red flag', 99% of books on Wealth written before the 70's should be mostly disregarded, since they were built to a market of serfs already pre-qualified by showing the persistence to learn to read and buy a non-fiction book.
I think it is vastly underestimated how rare that was, and how expensive it would be to fill a bookshelf then.
You couldn't torrent it, or buy 99 cent kindle versions, or choose from millions of 2nd hand copies.
>>
>>1180286
i read the kiyosaki book...
he basically says that: "poor people are stupid because they don't have $480k in the bank at the very least so they could skip work and let their money work for them."
"fucking poor people are so stupid because they are poor, right?! you should let your money work for you!!"
>>
>>1180742
Kiosaki in a nutshell:
"All you need to do to get rich is to stop being poor"
>>
>>1180742
I have read all of his stuff.
He never says this.
He did, however, say in an interview 'most people are pussies', and I agree.
You need balls more than brains.

He once related a conversation with a friend of his (who owned a profitable business) said to him -
'Robert, you're pretty lazy, aren't you? I mean, you don't like hard work...'
'yeah, I guess'
'you're also not too smart, would you agree?'
'uh-huh..yeah, I guess'
'So why don't you start a business? You can hire people smarter and more disciplined than yourself. What do you have to lose?'

I have used everything I learned from him with success, and, yes, mostly because his books are entertaining, engaging, and everything a textbook is not.
Yes, it's essentially some fundamentals, some contrary opinions, mixed in with some self-help type stuff (like that's a bad thing) but if it was boring, I wouldn't read it.

He actually said he deliberately wrote it so a 9-year old could understand it.
You could say this is taking advantage of a meme mentality, but those people, like me, are the ones who need the most help, and they/me were never going to study business or finance in any academic or professional capacity anyway, and I still don't.

The great thing is, greed is good, in a way, but to me, it's not MY greed that gives me leverage, it's other people's greed. I want a simple life, but I have no trouble finding 'smarter' and 'greedier' people than me, and hiring them, because they want a fucking Lambo, or they have a Porsche or Duplex they still owe money on, and I don't even own or want a car, full stop.

They will turn the wheel that turns the grindstone that grinds them, if I dangle a piece of cheese.
I give away over 50% of what I have because it creates that buzz that has people applying to be interns...
>>
>>1180751
Another wagecuck or illiterate cuck who has never read or listened to anything Kiyosaki said.

>kiosaki

If Kiyosaki was in a nutshell, he would break out, or call an assistant to break him out.
Then he would sell the broken nutshell as original art, signed by him, and shoot a video to tell the story, and tell of lessons learned on his blog and in interviews.

You, on the other hand, would cry to yourself, and if released, would become a recluse, and claim social security, saying you were traumatised by the event and can't leave the house anymore.
People would say you're a nut...

Which is ironic.
>>
File: IMG_00053695.png (163KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00053695.png
163KB, 1024x600px
>>1174042

>Academic level shit
>mathematics
>Implying this kind of shit is more important than the correct mindset

I think there are a couple of million broke-ass students and wagecuck professors who are still in school that would disagree with you.

Kiyosaki frequently makes the point that -

1) most professors do not live in the real world, since they never left the education system, and they will 'shill' their brand of 'info marketing' forever.

2) most brokers are broke.

3) Most financial advisors, wealth managers, etc - supposed professional gurus - don't practice what they preach, and very rarely achieve high wealth or success.

It's true, while some idiot fucks around with gambling, day trading, Forex, real estate, half-brained biz ideas, etc, by putting real skin in the game and learning about themselves and their strengths, they gain even if they lose.

Meanwhile, the 'smart' people would rather spend hours debating amortization rates or economic theory, or free market legislation.
>>
>>1180773
>>1180778
dude i just read rich dad poor dad a few days ago every second sentence is basically this:
>"All you need to do to get rich is to stop being poor"
>"To become rich you need to let your money work for you"
which is for a poor person a very shit and worthless advice.
i'm not poor i'm well off have savings enough for many years to live comfortably but even i can't make use any of it because i would need like 10 times as much as i have to make a dent on my living cost from dividends or rent or whatever.
>>
File: IMG_00053688.png (178KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00053688.png
178KB, 1024x600px
>>1180816
>every second sentence

Nope.jpg
either you didn't read it properly or you are lying, and Kiyosaki has maybe 30 books or so?

Each one covers specifics.

The second part was so rambling I couldn't even understand it.

You have savings to last several years, but cannot use it to build assets?
I can use nothing to build assets.
I could be poor tomorrow, and build assets from day two.

>10 times as much

I assume you are thinking of 'off the shelf' solutions being marketed and sold by CFA's or brokers.

Most have 0% originality and creativity.
If it's not in a textbook, they say it's 'risky' or they don't understand it.
>>
>>1174072
its more abour portfolio management and bonds tahn only choosing the right stock .But imo it is very useful
>>
>>1180830
>I can use nothing to build assets.
yeah sure
you are a great wizard amiright?
>>
>>1180742

Did you actually apply any thought to the concepts mentioned in the book? The delivery is junk-tier, but what Kiyosaki says between the lines carries some weight.
>>
>>1180286
>>1180773
>>1180778
>>1180815
>>1180830
I take it you're financially free and practice what you preach?
>>
>>1172237
These books are the best cure for insomnia known to man.
>>
>>1180860
yes it caught my attention and gave it a lot of thought.
it inspired me to make some life choices that i put off.
i get the philosophy it's just this "poorfags are stupid because they are poor" shit is all over the book and makes it tiresome to read very repetitive and really not helpful.

i made many calculations based on my earnings and wealth the projections are bleak if i stop working to invest my money in a business the risks outweigh the benefits.

he admits that 1 in 10 business fails in the first year and 1 in 10 in the first 5 years.

basically even if i earn 10 times my investment in 5 years which is almost unheard of i still have a 1:10 loss ratio statistically.

if you can buy meaningful assets that make you money that's good i guess but there is inflation and a small amount of assets generate a minuscule income even if you choose well.

so a poor person can buy all the assets he can buy they won't make a hundredth off what he earns in wages.

i have $30k i add about $6.5k (+$500 from investments like bonds) to it annually by working. that's 21%. wtf makes that kind of money that not involve huge risk of losing it all?

nothing at all. i would be stupid not to hold a job.

but now i try to walk around with open eyes and always look out for fellow investors. maybe a guy has a good idea but can't make it happen alone. maybe i can pitch in maybe i would enjoy some benefits from the partnership aside from the money. like for example i could be partner in a range where i could shoot for free or something like that.
>>
>>1180778
LOL

I bet you went to his real estate seminars and paid into his shitty board game too. I'm sure you learned valuable life lessons. Go get em champ
>>
>>1180892
LOL no,
Never been to a seminar, even a 'free' one.
They literally do rehash some basic advice then sell your on the super duper seminar.

The prices were outrageous at that level from what I have read - 15k, 30k +

The board game(s) and the software and now appears and online versions, show how much mileage you can get out of one IP asset.

Genius.

Like I said, you can learn just as much from what he does than what he teaches.
I really research that too, same as any others.

If you had asked me if somebody would pay that amount, or anywhere near it, for seminar(s), or the $200+ for a board game (original price) I would laugh at your business plan.

I didn’t laugh when I saw the prices, and the sales and profit numbers on his empire.
>>
>>1180879
Yes, and yes.

Also, almost forgot, those hating on Kiyosaki and making a case for taking it off that list should say the same about Steve McCuck's real estate book.

I read 2 of his books, and while it was 20-30% good insights, it was 70-80% relentless shilling for his own seminars that would make even Kiyosaki blush.
It basically seems a rehash of Robert G Allen Real Estate books from the 80's.

(I have read all his stuff too, some gold in there too, I read everything including the corny stuff, because you can find 'keys' or clues everywhere. Sometimes it what they don't say, sometimes it maybe a throwaway comment, interviews are great, because it's much easier to blurt something out, than write it down.)

Robert Kiyosaki does not relentlessly push his seminars, courses, or other books and products, and certainly no more than any other person would.

I actually felt disappointed that it took me a while to find out about the other content he has, because I wanted all the books and audio and video content.

He is a masterclass in 'soft selling' - he won't say 'you need to buy all my products' but he will say 'you need to invest in your education'
>>
>>1180830
> I can use nothing to build assets.
How do you do that?
>>
>>1180851
>>1180883
>>1181947

>how do you do that?

It costs nothing to set up a microbusiness, product or service based, that you can outsource, step aside for your replacement, scale up, sell or licence, franchise, etc

You chase a lead, you find a market, you find unemployed NEETS, you find people that need work done, you find buyers, you introduce sellers, or sell it yourself and generate leads.

That really only costs time.
And it can be tweaked and leveraged, and packaged as a company or business or brand.
Once you set it in place, it is an asset.

If I create 'Acme Dildos', selling dildoes, and the manufacturer is Yang Seng Industries, which brand is more marketable?
If marketed correctly, which brand is more saleable with proven Cashflow profits of even $10k a month net profit?
Acme Dildoes, which would have a valuation of $120k+
You own the IP - a non-tangible asset created from thin air, the name, logo, branding, systems, etc

>he admits that 1 in 10 business fails in the first year and 1 in 10 in the first 5 years.

This is a common fallacy, a widely-held myth, it is based on outdated statistics from decades ago showing the number of business bank accounts closing.
What it doesn't compare is businesses folding or dissolving, and it doesn't account for the fact that if a business is successful, it will no longer be a small business or startup, and will likely need new arrangements if incorporated, the corporations status changes, or it is set up offshore or otherwise financed via different accounts for legal and taxation reasons, etc etc

If you believe this common myths, you can start with nothing down, or maybe $100, with minimal risk and exposure.
Get testing and you can test one business every month or quarter, so even if 1 in 10 only succeeded, you would exhaust that risk within 2-3 years, 5 tops.
You would be on your 10th business, where even the pessimistic odds are in your favour.

Stocks or IRAs, etc do not give you flexibility and leverage.
>>
>>1183206
thanks
>>
>>1180815
>most brokers [and financial advisors] are broke.

Behavior gap. Same reason we have fat nurses and doctors who smoke and drink. They may know their shit, but actually doing it is what they don't have willpower for. Their advice isn't necessarily incorrect.

Also I agree with you on that. Textbooks are generally garbage, and you don't need to learn the complicated technical shit until after you grabbed all the low hanging fruit, then you can pull up a formal probability textbook as a ladder if you want the harder to reach fruit. They're not wrong, they're just not going to give you much marginal utility compared to a more general mindset book that can be applied to everything, not just a one in a million perfect condition specific subset of a subset of finance transaction. Basically it ain't worth reading unless you're really bored one day.

I don't agree with everything Kiyosaki says, be his book isn't bad to make people reexamine their assumptions. The basic point holds true -- a high paying job does not automatically make you rich.
>>
>>1172237
You can add Fred Schwed - Where Are the Customers' Yachts?

It points out the whole randomness in Wall Street and how not to be a sucker by trusting "investment advisors" in shorter and funnier format than Nassim Nicholas Taleb's books.
>>
>>1183206
>so even if 1 in 10 only succeeded, you would exhaust that risk within 2-3 years, 5 tops.¶You would be on your 10th business, where even the pessimistic odds are in your favour.
Probability does not work that way.
>>
>>1184683
They're not independent events, as you get better with experience.
>>
>>1184906
This.
It's not a dice flip,
So my point was, even if those were the odds, or worse, there is a learning curve here, so odds improve.
>>
Good thread.
I'm happy.
>>
>>1186474
>>>/sci/7941588 was even better.
>>
>>1186486
Were you the guy shilling this thread in another thread here?
If so thank you, i got a lot of useful shit from there. I wish people shilled good really good threads more, just the REALLY good ones though.
>>
>>1186530
>Were you the guy shilling this thread in another thread here?
>another thread?

You mean if you scrolled up here (>>1174092)?
>>
>>1186543
kek
I presumed you would've quoted yourself if it was in the same thread
>>
Love this thread btw. Read through some of the books on gif. Some were better than others, but very nice understanding.

Love to read anyway and really getting into finance/investing. Cheers
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQbhemM8_JA

Kyosaki book in about 35 min interview. Ok its slightly more extensive but this is the grand idea. Its mostly just a mindset shift.
>>
>reading books
yall fags tbqh
>>
>>1183758
>Books are for fags
>>1181181
>>1180920
All of you go suck a dick
>>
>>1187670
>>1187687
Poorfags detected.
>>
>>1172237
How an Economy Grows and why it crashes is a good book for people who don't have a clue on how an economy works.
>>
>>1172237
Martin Shkreli "I am God"
>>
File: graeber-book.jpg (22KB, 510x768px) Image search: [Google]
graeber-book.jpg
22KB, 510x768px
Bought this the other day
>>
File: 1419519247753-1.jpg (76KB, 477x262px) Image search: [Google]
1419519247753-1.jpg
76KB, 477x262px
>>1174047
OH BOI LOOK AT THE TIME
ITS TIME
TO
EVAAALUAAATE!
TODAY BIZ WE ARE EVALUATING THE PRICE OF EXXON IF IT WAS BACKED BY MATTELS BARBIES FROM 92!
>giving the albanian shill money
>>
>>1177548
>Creature from Jekyll Island

Isn't that book written by some crazy 9/11 truther who thinks cancer is a nutritional deficiency and shit?

How is that credible at all?
>>
>>1172237
Anyone that's read even half of these is a 100% guaranteed bona-fide NEET.

Reading is essential, but not as essential as taking fucking action. Something mental masturbation wizards have no clue about, and why they'll never make it.
>>
>>1189109
if only the big bankers treat us NEETS more equally.. We must start an online petition to break free of their oppression!
>>
>>1189109
Dude, you're a fucking retard. It's important to build up your financial IQ before taking action, then apply it, or else your action is that of a retard (you).
>>
Has anyone read any of The Economist's subject guide books, and if so were they any good?
>>
>>1189108
>Creature from Jekyll Island

yeah, im so sure he was a 9/11 truther back in 1994 you stupid faggot.....next your going to be saying Alex Jones is a new world order pawn
>>
>>1189234
NEET spotted. Beyond the basics experience trumps mental masturbation about 99% of the time. You learn the concepts, and you put it into practice. If you're not putting new concepts into practice AS you learn them, instead reading a million books before you make a single fucking dollar, you deserve to be broke forever.
>>
Richest man in Babylon is good
>>
>>1174047
I was watching his stream yesterday, he says he reads voraciously
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.