[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recruiting Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

File: engineering-blueprint.jpg (2MB, 2000x1319px) Image search: [Google]
engineering-blueprint.jpg
2MB, 2000x1319px
Recruiter Thread: Get advice from recruiters. Ask questions about resumes, hiring tips, interview tips, and where to go when your major is shitty or seemingly doomed.

Areas of specialty:
>Manufacturing
>Automotive
>Chemical
>Logistics
>Recruiting

Careers of specialty:
>Account managing/Outside Sales
>Inside Sales/Administration
>HR
>Accounting
>Logistics - Ocean/Air Import/Export
>Production Control
>Engineering - Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical/Production/Process/Quality/Industrial/Manufacturing/Infotainment/Sales Engineering
>Field service
>Machine operation
>Blow/Mold Injection

Specialty Age Groups:
>New Grads
>Junior level
>Mid/Senior level
>Manager

If you can't find your specific career, ask anyways!
>>
>>1167980
software engineering and management with i.t. knoledge as a grad student.

tell me all you know.
>>
>>1167992
Similar. 3 years experience consulting with a software engineering firm. Lots of cms knowledge and recent lead experience. Is the market good to jump ship?
>>
What's the best job board? By the way, don't use SimplyHired, they are SimplyGarbage. I have never received so much spam in my life than after using them. The "companies" posted on there are not vetted or something.
>>
>>1167992
Software engineering is a solid career choice. I'm not strong with IT, but we often have positions for Network engineering or software engineering that easily reach up to 100k with only six to seven years of experience.

I guess I would need to know your total years of full-time experience or if you've just been in school the entire time. After your master's I wouldn't expect a position that compensates you as if you're senior level: you will need to take an entry position. The good news is that if you play your cards right, and by that I mean finding an engineering position you enjoy that's direct hire and full time that you can stay at for multiple years in a row, then you'll find yourself in a 100k+ position at a solid company. Engineering degrees are always rewarded, but you have to be careful how you plot out your full-time career. Avoid contracts, the horrible hell of IT, and just build your experience.

I promise that three or four years full-time at a medium sized company with a position titled software engineer will make you indispensable.

>>1167998
Hopefully the information above might be of help.

Please let me know if I am missing or failing to address your biggest concerns and questions. I think ultimately yall are safe and in a good career so as long as you make the right moves.
>>
>>1168010
All of my hiring experience (Five years) was at one company that had specific clients in the automotive and manufacturing industry. That being said, we had a lot of inefficient practices due to our size.

So as a result we only used Monster, Careerbuilder, and Indeed. We occasionally have used craigslist, but it's not that great.

So if you want your resume to be seen and called quite a bit, recruiters all flock to Careerbuilder and Monster. Indeed, in my experience, is a good place to apply. Unfortunately this entire topic makes me uneasy, because our company was quite weak in ironically one of the most important parts of recruiting: diversity of job searching sites.

My ultimate suggestion: careerbuilder is my favorite. Cleanest, visually appealing, and straight forward. Free as well of course.
>>
>>1168027
Thank you. Do you have any tips for new grads with little on their resume? Also, do you look down on people who are poor and can't afford the newest threads?
>>
>>1168034
Resume length is irrelevant when you're a new grad. Despite college students saying that it matters, I promise you that if your resume is full looking at is one page, you'll be fine.

Remember to include your education as this is literally the most important thing and the only thing hiring professionals will need to see. Additionally, please include any drawing programs, programming languages, or special tools you have used both in and out of the classroom. These are keywords, and even having just one that a company needs can get your resume noticed in searches and make you an attractive new grad candidate.

Regarding threads, is this for an interview or for work? For interviews, you really only need one good set of clothes, everything you expect. I mean if you're too broke to afford a pair of pants, shoes, three or so solid color dress shirts, tie, and possibly a jacket, then I'm not sure how you're surviving. You only need extra shirts and ties for the various rounds of interviewing.
>>
>>1167980
I'm 20, been out of school 3 years now and am seriously considering being a mechanical engineer and thinking about double majoring in maybe business administration and management. Would the other major be worth the money/hassle? How much do I realistically look at getting and how in need is the market for them?
>>
>>1167980
Also, does the school matter that much where I get my engineering degree from. It's not a community college but is not the top 10 or w/e
>>
>>1168079
You've made the right decision to go to college, first. Second, you're approaching this the wrong way. What motivates you to be successful? Third, you've chosen some good and bad choices for someone who is unsure.

So mechanical engineering is an engineering degree. Not sure how intelligent you are, but engineering degrees are math intensive. Assuming you've been out of high school for three years, you definitely can do it but it'll be exhausting if you're only in it for the money. Mechanical engineering is considered to be among the "easiest" of engineering degree but still is not a breeze. I do not recommend this.

Regarding business, business admin despite popular belief is a pretty open ended degree that really helps people who are equally open ended. It's solid for entry level business positions, like sales or administration or even HR. Double major is probably unnecessary unless there's something particularly fascinating about the second degree. If you're considering engineering, I think you might have big enough balls to attempt accounting. Maybe it's not your taste, but accounting is wonderful to study and work it in my opinion.

Considering your position, I would say that truly business is the most logical path. It's quite flexible, and I'm sensing you're quite open at the moment to new ideas and careers.

Regarding salary, I wouldn't expect anything more than 50k starting, but if you want to get hired list yourself as 40k. Yeah, it sucks and may not seem high, but your first position no matter how low it pays is preparation for the next bigger opportunity. I think you might like entry level business, whether it be HR or sales or whatever, and you could easily get in low and work your way up the ladder. Totally plausible. You might even work for a company that has a product or service that you have personal interest in, even if it's just plain business.
>>
>>1168094
I say with confidence that an engineering degree from an average/mediocre university is still valuable, marketable, and legitimate. Most engineers making 100k+ didn't need to go to the best universities. I doubt even HR professionals truly know how each and every engineering program ranks; they're too desperate for good engineers.
>>
>>1168112
I've heard that a business degree isn't that great anymore. I was one of those people that had a program to get people to become engineers and started in the 6th grade, by the time I was in my junior and senior year in hs I was going to a tech college half the day all to get students to be engineers. Math is my best subject and I would like to say that I am a little brighter than average. The other second major I had in mind was accounting. I really love building things in the 3d modelling software that we used since 6th grade and if I could build stuff like that and collab with other people to make things I think that would be pretty cool. I just don't want to be at the bottom the rest of my life. I was also thinking about being an electrician but I really just don't want to do manual labor anymore even if it is just for the first 4 years. My heart lies with technology but I don't think I would be able to learn a programming language but have not tried too hard. I also thought the market was over saturated with people doing programming and stuff, idk. It is still just a means to an end because I would really love to just live in a tiny home that I built and travel and such, but these are my interests and I'm not going to be the next Steve Jobs or w/e
>>
>>1168142
If you're heart is in engineering, take a stab at it. You'll be in a low of prerequisites before you're deep in the courses, so if you feel confident then definitely do it! Engineering does pay off, and mechanical engineering leads to design engineering which sounds like your jam.

Regarding business degrees, I disagree. They are still important. There are a lot of business positions, and the business degree is a fairly solid preparation and qualification that gives a massive competitive edge over those without it.
>>
Recruiters are fucking scum who are only looking to make money off of you. You are better of dealing with the company directly instead of going through a third party.
>>
>>1167980
Much of my family died in a house fire and it has fucked me up at my uni. I've decided to drop out and self-educate in computer science.

Do I have a chance at landing an interview at all in the cs field?
>>
>>1168160
After a couple years and I am an established non-noob mechanical engineer how much would you think I could make? Would being a mechanical engineer and an accountant be a waste of time? Would there be any sort of overlapping position or will employers not care?
>>
>>1168162
There were definitely moments when recruiting felt scummy; mostly due to recruiters feeling high and mighty with pleasing clients being their primary interest or getting commission. Sometimes coworkers would try to make candidates go to positions that paid less when they could have qualified for a higher paying one. It's happened hundreds of times.

Additionally there are contracting companies which exploit immigrants and rather unsuspecting people into a life of continuous contracts. Contracts in my opinion are a life commitment. It's hard to return to direct hire after so many short choppy jobs.

So yes anon, you are totally right. Commission rewards are a real thing, and recruiters don't always have your interests at heart. However, often we have shitty clients that we can't warn the candidates about or notify them of better opportunities.
>>
>>1168170
Sorry to hear that anon.

In brutal honesty, you will probably end up in IT contract hell. It's quite typical of IT guys, but without a degree and considering the field, you'll be contract to contract constantly. That's fine since if you're savvy you can sustain your employment with continuous contracts, but it's quite unstable and exhausting.

My advice would be to look into network administration, server administration, network security, etc. This can be a competitive field, but the stability is nice. You can also do entry level IT helpdesk, usually a direct hire full time job, and work there for a few years while building your resume with keywords. Embellish if you have to, so as long as you can back up your knowledge.

And while working in entry level positions, gaining experience and prepping for the next big move in your career, you can also reconsider going to school when it's more appealing or available. Network engineering is a great field that seems quite relevant to computer science.

As I mentioned above, I'm not very strong with IT. My clients rarely were IT companies, rather companies with IT demands.

>>1168178
Entry mechanical engineer: 40k outside of Michigan, 50k being quite good. 55k-60k if you're in Michigan and know how to use CATIA or Unigraphics

Junior level: 60k-65k

Mid level: 65-75k

Senior level: 75k+. The sky is the limit here. Sticking with a company can lead to a matured 100k+ salary or more without even being a manager.

Engineering manager/project manager: 100k+. This is definitely the big bucks and the top of the food chain.
>>
>>1168201
So the business double major might help with getting to the manager position faster/easier? Thank you so much for answering my questions.
>>
>>1168210
I don't entirely understand. Are you planning to double major in mechanical engineering and business management?

You will not walk into a manager position, and double majoring while doing engineering is going to be time consuming. You literally could be 26/27 when you graduate.

I highly recommend doing engineering then after five + years in the field, starting working towards a Master's in business management or engineering management. It'll be the first step in preparing for engineering manager, but anon I have to say that engineering managers are usually in their 40's. It's not like the corporate world.
>>
New poster but I'm graduating this spring in IS degree. I have an internship at help desk. For almost 2 years with no certs. I also have a little bit of being an Business Intelligence intern.

I have been to my uni career events and I still have had no responses yet internally from the current company I work at.

I'm in professional student organization and entrepreneur clubs but I just feel I'm not doing enough to get a job. I'm not the most technical in my IT classes but I do have good interpersonal skills at least for someone who browses 4chan.

What else would you recommend I could do. Thanks in advance anon
>>
>>1167980
no one ever knows about the apparel/textile industry
>>
>>1168235
Even Kayne got burned with that. Now he's going around twitter begging people for money.
>>
>>1168229
If you haven't already, upload your resume to job searching sites. At this point, recruiters and HR divisions will be able to contact you and hire you without worrying about having to wait months til graduation.

Also search online, and if you've been at your job for as long as you have, I would approach coworkers in your field to see if they have any advice. Assuming you have a superior overseeing you, don't be afraid to ask him for assistance, advice, etc. Seriously, if you're not hired for after graduation, there's no shame or harm in asking for them for help.

Rigorously search, as you probably have been, and start considering your options regarding relocation. Perhaps you have another area you can move to that you can apply for local jobs around?

Try to avoid massive companies. Try to get in with smaller or medium sized ones. The experience won't be any less legitimate but it might be easier with faster responses from their HR teams.

If it's been a year without any sort of employment, consider contracts as a bitter sustenance to show you haven't been sitting on your ass, but still search for direct hire. If you feel like you're hopelessly doomed and cannot find anything, consider expanding your search to perhaps entry level business that requires IT background or going back to school.

You will lose new-grad status at around 18 months to 2 years after graduation. If you can afford a master's degree in a new or similar subject, then go with that as a last resort. I hate this recommendation because you probably have spent enough money as it is, but this is seriously the last resort.

Have I covered everything? But please immediately start uploading resumes to job search sites.
>>
>>1168235
I worked in retail in high school. Are you some sort of designer or are you in apparel business?
>>
>>1168251
Kanye didn't know shit about the industry when he first started, though. And he still doesn't, really.
His salary cap for his first line was outrageous because he doesn't know how to make patterns or source fabric or make tech packs etc.
His salary cap is still crazy now, it's just mostly funded by adidas.
Easiest way in the apparel industry is doing private label for large sized women, to be honest. They're never happy with how they look so they keep buying clothing.
>>
>>1168260
I just got an AA in Apparel Industry Management, which is essentially Product Development and Production Management.
I'm going to get another degree in a very similar program, a bit redundant, but the second degree would be a BS and would look much nicer.
However, this industry, aside from conglomerates like VF Corp and LVMH, does not give a fuck about a degree.
Really debating if I should defer getting my second degree, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get hired and put in a situation where I'd have to make that decision.
>>
>>1168271
Sorry anon, you were right. I truly have no idea where to start, what type of people run the industry, or anything really.

Assuming you have a passion for the industry, I can only recommend networking and expanding the scope of your job searching.

Also, an associate's is probably not enough, but again you know more than I do about this industry.
>>
>>1168278
Yeah, it's fine though, just a bit frustrated but hey, I took the risk of studying to get in this industry.
Any general tips on standing out in resumes?
Especially with barely any experience?
>>
>>1168282
Keywords that will show up in resume searches. Different production programs, concepts, etc. If you're going to be working in some sort of production aspect, chances are you'll need familiarity with concepts specific to the production, distribution, etc of apparel. Might be a nice start to getting recognized for your business knowledge and not just apparel knowledge. This certainly means you'll need to do your own research and stuff.
>>
Uni grad in Supply Chain Management, been out of school for nearly one year, no job yet, no experience/internship in the major.

What the fuck do I do?
>>
Hey OP, I've got 6 years of job experience (call centre, shooting range, barwork and tutoring), am on track for a 1st (around a 3.8-4gpa for you Americans) in my liberal arts degree and actually have social skills.

I want to go into a law degree and get a training contract. I know it isn't your area of expertise but what do you think I should do? Bare in mind that I have no experience in a law firm despite my good job history.
>>
>>1168290
Location? Consider logistics as a back up. Slightly different, but supply chain majors usually end up in purchasing, buying, procurement, or logistics.

In fact, those are your job search key words. Procurement, purchasing, buyer, logistics, import, export. Even if you aren't thrilled to do logistics, it's quite similar and will not hurt. There's also a huge amount of those positions available. You can easily land an entry level position.

But I do need to know your location, options, desired salary, etc. Follow the tips above, including uploading your resume online and using those keywords to boost your resume.

>>1168302
Your previous years of experience are irrelevant anon, sorry to say.

If you enjoy law, think you can hack it, then feel free to study it. I don't think it'll be pointless, and it could lead to other options if you can't get into a law firm for whatever reason. Like you said, not my field nor my country so I cannot say with any certainty what the market is like, rate of success, etc. I can only provide the usual, "Do your best!" advice. :|
>>
>>1168313
That's fair enough, I wasn't really expecting anything apart from a 'good luck' haha. So thanks anyway.

Are my years of job experience really that irrelevant though? Surely employers would like that I've shown a fantastic work ethic in the past (and at a young age, I started working at 15 and haven't stopped)?
>>
>>1168313

I have looked into logistics related jobs.

Upper midwest area as of graduation, open to relocation as long as it isn't in bumfuck nowhere. As for salary, I'm shooting for the SCM grad average 45-55k, been looking at SCM related management trainee positions to no success.

It seems alot of entry level positions related to SCM require direct experience in the field which is kinda hindering to my situation.
>>
>>1168316
The "my part-time positions that I held on to for a long time to show my work ethic" is a meme. Trust me, as long as you've worked as a bartender, it's not going to be a conversation employers want to have. Bartending, shooting range, etc are not law, and I usually recommend removing them the second you get a full-time job or after several years of work.

Actually, they can hurt you. I've come across resumes of people who otherwise would have been qualified, but they worked at Hooters, strip clubs, or somewhere else and put it on their resume. My supervisor threw that shit in the trash. As a college student, include them but don't depend on them for conversation or credibility of your worth. Use your education as your greatest tool!

>>1168322
>Midwest
Where? Chicago and Detroit are solid for purchasing. If you mean Wisconsin or Upper Michigan, move.

>45-55k
Might as well just say 45k, but consider even 40k. It sucks but you'll recover from the shit pay eventually. It will suck if you're in Chicago or something because 40k is literally enough to survive and have a social life but nothing more.

Anon, if you're comfortable with contacting me over email, I can get your basic employment preferences and get back to you if there are any positions I know of that are available. Manufacturing is a great place for procurement and such given the scarcity of good supply chain professionals in the industry.
>>
>>1168201
Can I just lie about college education?
>>
>>1168344
All companies can verify your education background easily. Wouldn't recommend. We've had some ... ahem... African american women lie to us quite frequently. It's always lulzy when they get caught.

Go to community college if you cannot afford college; it is better than nothing and I do mean that.
>>
>>1168339
Milwaukee area.

Funny you say Chicago and Detroit because those are actually the two major cities that I've wanted to avoid entirely despite my "beggars-cant-be-choosers" situation. There's just something offputting about those two cities despite their respective histories in manufacturing.

I've been out of work for the past 6 months coming out of a part time office job in the state I got my degree in. I'm getting to the point where I'll have to say I've been traveling (you know, that after graduation bullshit a lot of kids do) if I ever have to explain the employment gap in an interview.
>>
>>1168352
Milwaukee ain't so bad, but if those two cities are out of the question, consider Ohio and Indiana as the next biggest and promising areas. Not that they're particularly glamorous but they do have manufacturing sectors.

Also, Ann Arbor is really nice and is within commuting distance of Detroit's suburbs which house all the country's major manufacturing and automotive companies. I get Chicago but why not Detroit metro area?
>>
>>1168361

>why not Detroit
Robocop. Jokes aside, it seems like the metro area is a third-rate city surrounded by ruin and abandonment.

If I were to go for medium to small size companies for possible jobs, what kind of indicators would you say are trait to a good company? There's say in job hopping after your ,that is, recent grads, first year or two in order to maximize pay/experience. What's your take on this?
>>
>>1168374
First year or two is not recommended. Make that first three years or four. If you absolutely despise your job to the point of depression, then move on, but you want to keep jobs for as long as possible until you feel you've been completely capped out or need to increase experience and income.

Ideally for you, you would get an entry level manufacturing procurement position, stay there for five years, then move on. Even if you entered in at 40-45k, you could leave making 50-55k (or more?) after five years (or more?) and expect 60k-65k, depending on the company and the circumstances.

That's ideal. I can't stress how ugly a resume is when every job lasts one or two years, even three is bad. Our rule in the office is no more than three jobs in the last ten years. That means new grads who hop around are at risk, but it's never the end of the world. Good experience can still win over being a hopper.

Just don't hop.
>>
>>1168288

Have you heard about keyword stuffing? The idea is to stuff a lot of keywords that recruiters would use to filter our resumes to help the odds of your eyes actually getting seen.

While I don't have the coding knowledge I feel it would be easy to write a program to detect this and it would be shitty to get blacklisted before even starting a career.
>>
>>1168379

What's your take on physically walking into a company, asking to talk to management or ideally, someone from HR, and asking if there's a job for a recent grad?

I've only done online applications so far in my search for post-grad jobs.

Thanks for the input btw
>>
Hi.

I want to change my job and I finally found what I would like to do.

I have graduated university in 2015 with master of arts degree in pedagogy with resocialization. Since May 2015 till present I work in municipal police (as officer in terrain), but have been also operating the city cameras (monitoring), for example Seetec. I am succesfull at my job, os the only one from 9 new guys I have been promoted and got a little raise. I do what I have to do and I try to do it best I can.

But here is the deal. I started learning Excel (pivot, formulas, conditional formating, charts, some basic macros etc.) and I would like to work with it. In future would like to learn databases/programming - this is what I really like.

I'd love to find some entry lvl job in corporation but honestly I do not know if I have a chance. I am 25yo now. I live in Poland, polish is my native, english is communicative or intermediate I guess. I have no problems with speaking it (not scared or shy).

What is your advice to me? What to prepare for? I will attach here my english CV soon (I hope it'll be today).
>>
>>1167980
Thank you for creating such a helpful thread.

I've reached the point in my studies where I have to decide between specializing in Operations & Logistics, Organizational Behavior & Human Resources, or a dual major in Economics and Statistics.
I have connections to banking companies and logistics companies, but nothing regarding HR.

What would you recommend that I do? I'm interested in all three fields.
>>
Hi OP, I´m currently on a Electrical Engineer major, and I´m planning to go for a Bioengineering medical route. But at the power engineering is the strong side of my school.
Any tips on what route I should take?
Considering markets and whatnot for the coming years.

What can I do to make my resume nicer?
Also, please consider that I might be graduating at 25 yo.
Not an American, but planning on leaving this country.
>>
How do I land an internship if every internship worth their salt asks for prior experience?
>>
Sorry I was gone all day! I'm back.

>>1168397
I'm not sure what context you're referring to. As in a program or what? To me, keyword stuffing is craftily placing many different keywords into your resume to enhance the chances of being found online. It's not illegal at all. For example, a new grad accountant can put just accounting, or they can get creative and say financial, managerial, auditing, CPA, SAP, ERP, Oracle, Hyperion, etc. Even if the phrase is, "Familiar with Oracle" that's a valid way to insert a keyword. This is highly recommended due to boolean searching.

>>1168413
This depends on the company and position. When companies list positions on their website, that usually means they're open and occasionally and also unfortunately recent filled. I would check on websites to confirm that a position has been posted. However, some companies do not list job postings as they are using recruiters or recruiting companies. So, would I do it? Not until I was absolutely desperate. It's sort of an invasion of operations, because not every company is expecting visitors or wants randoms walking in.

If you're concerned that your resume is being looked at when submitted, it usually is. However, some HR teams are super inefficient, like forgetting to check emails and stuff. It's difficult to say, but I would recommend putting your resume online and letting people contact you, applying online to websites, and even contacting recruiting companies (not contracting companies) to see if they have anything. Depending on your desired profession, they might have something immediately or they can use your resume later when something pops up.

My final advice: don't do it until you're quite desperate. Expand your possibilities (changing company size preferences, salary, new industries, or keywords) and hope for the best. I'd like to return to this question, because I feel like my answer is very disorganized.
>>
>>1168521
Hey anon. Are you looking for work in America? Or is this Poland?

And you've got an interesting career in mind. Databases, information manipulation and organization, etc are all relevant to businesses. It's never too late to retrain, but I would recommend a few options.

1. You'll probably need a degree with some relevancy to your subject. Management of Information Systems, Management Systems, Accounting, etc are some business fields that work with databases and information, but there's a lot more. I don't think you'll find a huge amount of entry level positions that are directly working with databases (that's usually a higher up promotion), but research some relevant positions that will eventually mature into that type of career. It's sort of a cross between IT and business, and I'm sure websites can gie you a list of good keywords to use when searching for jobs.

2. Do not expect a high salary. You are retraining, starting over again. You will be entry level, and that means sacrificing some of the income you are making now. Or not? Depends of course.

3. Consider getting a master's over a bachelor's. I believe in the United States the cost is not astonishingly higher than a bachelor's, but a master's program might be flexible enough for a working full-time adult.

4. Consider where you want to work. Poland sounds better, because visa sponsorship could cut your career short or cause issues for finding work. Some companies might prey on your visa status and exploit you. But if you come to Chicago, our massive Polish population will make immigrating easier.
>>
>>1168586
>>1168586
First off, Economics is not recommended. I'm not knowledgeable about statistics as a profession either, so this option I must both not recommend as well as plead ignorance.

However, Human Resources isn't a bad option. It's not the most prestigious branch of business in most people's views, but HR managers make 70-90k, and directors make well over 100k. So this area pays well and is not overly technical. The downside is that HR is flooded by both business and non-business majors. This is a great profession for someone who majored in something unmarketable, like psychology, because it does not require extensive business background or knowledge to start off as an entry level HR generalist.

That being said, most of your competition will be women. It's literally 90% women, so males have an incredible advantage in this career path.

Operations and logistics are slightly different from each other, but they do go hand in hand. Logistics, like HR, is not overly technical nor difficult. However, logistics can also mature into a well-paid position. Usually logistics overlaps with purchasing and procurement, both of which are also quite useful in manufacturing. I think it's an easy position to get into, mostly because your competition will be people without degrees or women with psychology degrees like HR. I recommend this career too, assuming you enjoy the tracking/importing/exporting of products as well as improving efficiency in movement and purchasing.
>>
>>1168607
Hey anon, thanks for asking. May I ask what country? This is sadly relevant to the discussion, because where you a from affects your visa sponsorship possibilities and such.

Electrical engineering is really good, perhaps better than bioengineering in my opinion. You might have an easier time finding work with electrical engineering due to the automotive and manufacturing industries.

I recommend two words to add to any mechanical/electrical engineer's resume: CATIA and Unigraphics (NX, UGNX). These are CAD programs that the automotive industry always uses, but schools rarely teach these programs due to the cost of implementing them. Trust me, invest time into understanding these and you are a strong candidate.

Regarding your visa status, note that you will have a hard time finding visa support on your student visa or any sort of temporary status. You will most likely be contacted by contracting agencies who will use you for contracts that pay fairly well. It's work, but you can expect to return home in a few years. This is particularly a problem with Indian engineers. Chinese engineers also are flooding the market but dont have an easy time finding work. I'd say anyone who isn't European has a harder time finding stable and sponsored engineering work, but even Europeans don't always get to stay here.

Once you have a green card or no longer require support, you'll effectively have no problem finding stable long term work. Companies will gladly hire you, so it's not about race or ethnicity as much as it is your immigration status. It's expensive to keep immigrants in the US.

But, if you're Japanese... that's a different story.
>>
>>1168646
What's your major?

Internships are great experience, but you might be uhhh... looking at too many big companies. Realistically, an internship looks good so as long as its a legitimate company. Additionally, internships shouldn't require previous experience... so I can't speak on that.

I suggest online searches, emailing small/medium sized businesses, and exploring different kinds of companies and industries to work at. Every fucking business major wants to intern at Google or some shit, but they could easily intern at a roofing company and learn as much. Of course, if you're trying to be some economist wolf of wall street type, I'd say reconsider your career path or options. That's quite a fantasy.
>>
>>1169861
>CATIA and Unigraphics
Should I learn these even if I'm not going to go into the automotive industry?
>>
>>1169906
I should say automotive supplying industry* or manufacturing.

They're design programs used by manufacturers to design specific parts, much like every other CAD program. Engineers have said they are quite similar to other CAD programs, but I recommend these due to the extraordinary amount of companies that request this experience in engineers. For the amount of companies I have that request this versus the low amount of entry or even experienced engineers that put this on their resume, I'd say it's a competitive advantage for any engineer in design, mechanical, or electrical engineering. You might use it to design a speaker system or different mechanical components.

Final answer: yes if you do product designing or want to. Not entirely restricted to automotive.
>>
>>1169923
Any other skills Electrical Engineers should know?
>>
>>1169949
Not really, but make sure you distinguish whether or not you want to do computers, manufacturing, etc.

One field I recommend if you're interested is infotainment, speaker design, antennas, etc. That's a field that only electrical engineers are qualified for out of school, and there are quite a few infotainment companies who will fight each other for your employment.
>>
>>1169949
How to apply for fast food jobs in their 50s and avoid getting their paycheck leeched by MBA grads.
>>
>>1169959
Inaccurate; MBA students don't have an easier time finding employment. They usually lack experience while asking for more than a company wishes to pay.
>>
>>1169955
I'm unsure really, I'm on the fence between computers and signals and systems.

Also should I go to graduate school?
>>
>>1169986
No, get a real job first. If you truly cannot find anything, go to grad school as a last resort. You truly don't need a master's; electrical engineers are god-tier.
>>
I posted this in another thread but here goes:

I'm graduating with a Kinesiology (Exercise Science) degree in the fall.
My main intention was to use this B.S. to get into a Master's program for Orthotics and Prosthetics.
After a few years of shadowing, volunteering and working in the field, I found that the practitioners in the field are slowly dying as in it's kinda sucky.
The masters program is a few years old, so there's going to be a huge influx of kids straight out of school looking for jobs, and the ones I've talked to have told me theyve had a shitty time and they regretted doing it. The salary wasn't as advertised and employment rates are low.

What can I do straight out of the gates as a Kinesiology B.S. holder?

I've been thinking of going to med school or becoming a PT or OT or something else.

I have 4 years of sales exp.
>>
>>1167980
Graduated with a B.A. in Accounting, and while I took all the targeted accounting classes necessary for the CPA, I have absolutely no desire nor care to ever take the CPA exam. Never have wanted to, and it never did grow on me through college. I have a solid job doing tax accounting work (13 years general experience in the office, and 7 of those 13 years on on high level tax work). I am considering taking the Enrolled Agent (EA) exam (IRS Tax designation, actually more directly applicable to my work than a CPA), but I just do not have any desire to do the CPA. And of course, all you hear during college is CPA. And all you hear at recruiting events is CPA. And they want to hire you and pay you while you study and take the CPA. Everybody just wants you to be a CPA and they have no idea what that means beyond, "Hey, you passed a hard test!"

But as a recruiter, what is your opinion on looking for work as an accountant without a CPA. I want a good job, but nothing extravagant (I have never looked). I'm not aiming for CFO or anything important. I refuse to be part of a tax firm, and the Big 4 is not for me to even consider. I aim low, but I am aiming where I'm comfortable and doing what I want. But everyone needs accounting and officework done, so there has to be plenty out there outside of CPA's, right? I've got the degree, excellent experience, and a good work ethic. But you're sifting through the job listings, is it hard to find accountant work without a CPA? Or is everyone still blasting that as much as they can? What does the field look like?
>>
>>1170021
It makes me happy to hear you have done well without the CPA, anon. I agree, the CPA is made to be quite a deal. In my experience, the CPA is always a bonus and never a requirement. That being said, my clients vary in their expectations of accountants. I will try to break it down.

A) Entry/low level accountants: some clients look for these, barely require any sort of degree or experience. Did you use SAP/Oracle-Hyperion/Peachtree/Quickbooks? Awesome you're hired.

B) Mid leveled accountants: This is where you will usually start to see CPA on resumes, but in truth most people are only partially CPA certified (passed one or two sections). You will find a handful of CPA certified, and we let clients know when one is CPA certified or partially. However, your job experience is by far the most important here.

C) Senior level accountants: Same as B, but more CPA certified individuals. I still think it's not required, even at this level. Solid work history is still more important.

D) Controller: Alright, good job experience must be a given. CPA certified I would argue is highly recommended here, but a candidate with the right work experience (a particular client, 10-20 years at one client, a client similar to the one we are searching for) will still be sufficient.

Do you need CPA? No. Is it helpful? I'd say in the long term. Should you kill yourself trying to take it? Nah. Should you go for it? Yes.
>>
>>1170018
Sales experience as in cashiering in retail or sales representative? If sales associate at retail, that is not sales experience unfortunately anon.

Regarding your situation, as I mentioned above I am not qualified to confidently speak on science/medical topics.

I can, however, say you are qualified for entry level business. Your degree might also give you an edge if you target companies that produce products related to your major (textbooks? retail products? manufacturers?). It's a lead at best, though. Again, I can't say the chances of this path working out. Just know that your degree means you're most likely not an idiot and definitely capable of working entry level sales, logistics, HR, etc. I just hope you find a position, if you do go this route, that relates to your studies.

Otherwise, go to grad school for a similar/different subject. You, however, know more about grad school for these subjects than I do. I hope this helps in some way, and I apologize again for not being able to say much more.

Side note to to the thread: everyone has had great questions as well as responses! Thanks for the civilized thread. I hope to keep answering questions until the thread dies. As with anything, do you own research into my answers as well.
>>
>>1170038
Haha I guess I cheesed it, yes, retail/customer service.
Your qualifications were exactly why I posted in this thread, so your reply was perfect. Thank you, you have me thinking in newer avenues now.
>>
>>1170028
Awesome recruiter anon. Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it.
>>
>>1170047
I'm glad to help! I think people in your situation can only lose if they end up settling for a job that neither interests them nor lets them advance. Even if you cannot or do not wish to go directly into the field of your major, I promise you are qualified to explore similar avenues. Good luck!

>>1170057
Thanks anon! I admit, I have a soft spot for accountants. I took a few classes myself as a possible avenue for my own career. It definitely helped, though I did not end up in accounting. Thanks again for sharing your experience as well.
>>
>>1169841
I am looking for a corporation job in Poland. Actually I live "near" many places where corporations are having their locations, like pwc, UBS, capgemini etc.

About your degree idea, currently I work shifts that include weekends, holiday, nights and 12h special shifts, so I am unable to go for bachelor or master degree is any field. Plus I lack money to do that. I can only make some courses like Excel course, Access course or I do not know, let's say Java course... They are mostly fast (2-3 days - which I can do) and relatively cheap according to universities. Yet I have no idea about what is worth such a "certificate".

I do not expect high salary, but, hey... Now as municipal police officer after promotion and a raise I earn... Prepare yourself... Around fucking $350-360 a month. Yeah, lucky me... There are probably no entry level corporation jobs that pay less, really, welcome to Poland.

Plus my current job is dead end. Even if they would pay me $5000 a month I would still leave because I want something more, to learn all the time, to be better, to achieve my goals and to build my own path/career. Money isn't everything.

And to the point, as I said I have started learning excel, I would love to learn it in practical way by working with it every day. I am just looking to get some entry level corporation job because I know I am good enough to work, learn and to go up the ladder. I like to work, really... Best as I can. There is no "no" for me.

I am writing my polich CV right now, need to translate that (must be good). Could you tell me, honestly, what are the thought about it?

Thank you for reply and your time! Love to be in contact with you anons.
>>
File: me2016.jpg (203KB, 1362x859px) Image search: [Google]
me2016.jpg
203KB, 1362x859px
>>1170220
>>1169841

My CV or Resume, call it whatever.

Tell me honestly what is wrong, what should I put into trash and what is good. HONESTLY.

And tell me do I have any chances with that cv in corporations I am aiming for?
>>
Great thread, OP.

I'm an EE who's been working in the IP law field for about 1.5 years (out of school for 2.5 years, 4.0). While the pay is pretty sweet (90k plus bonuses that were in the 30k range last year and should be better this year), I can't help but wonder - at what point does the degree go "stale" by working in a non-technical field like IP law?

I can see engineering work that requires fresh design/analysis skills (which aren't as applicable in my role) being unreachable to me if I stick in this position for another 5 years, but I don't know if that's really based in anything concrete.

You also mentioned the MBAs don't have a free pass in terms of getting jobs easily due to lack of experience and overblown expectations of pay. What sort of experience (when coupled with an MBA) would an EE need to just be on "easy-mode" in terms of getting a job? And what would that job look like? Definitely interested in a life where I do less work for more money, and MBA always seemed like it was the path to that.

Though, I can't be the only one who thinks that, which probably results in a glut of people looking for the same work. Any experience with IP law candidates + MBA? At this point it seems like I should just stick in this field if any career change would be a side-grade or down-grade in terms of pay or work/life balance...
>>
>>1170332
Your resume looks very organized actually, though in America people think adding pictures is weird.

My only change would be to make your employment history as one entry with three sub-entries.

You have:

Municipal Police

Municipal Police

Municipal Police

But I would make it,

Municipal Police
-Junior
-Apprentice
-Blah blah

Including dates. Let me know if the change is confusing or not well explained. The reason for this change is due to your resume looking like three separate jobs or something (trust me people get confused or angry at this formatting), so instead it should look like one job. Hope this helps! Good resume anon!
>>
>>1170905
First part of your response: Your degree will become "stale" faster than you realize. Engineers who aren't actively in a hands-on position rarely return or cannot return in the same capacity as they expect.

Second: If you stick with that position for any amount of time, you will not be competitive in hands on positions. You are right, but 5 years is more than it takes. It realistically could be a year before you truly lose your competitive edge. This is why new grad engineers who can't find work in two years in their field are almost forced to get a master's or something. It's unusual for engineers to not find work right away, but in your case you simply have just been in a different field. This also happens to engineers who start in entry level sales engineering or applications engineering. Often they find it's impossible to go back to the hands on technical roles. I caution you to make a decision soon on whether or not to go to hands on while you still can. Although desu you're in a better boat since you have bomb ass pay so early in life.

Third part: MBA's with two-three years, maybe even as little as one year, will have no trouble finding work. At this point, they are definitely qualified. The problem is when they step out of the classroom and ask for 70k outside of Detroit. Lol. These jobs are similar to people with bachelor's, but they usually compensate more, have more supervisory functions, and have "better" companies to work for. Example: A project engineer with a master's in electrical working for Panasonic, leading a team of electrical engineers to design speakers. Compare to bachelor's degree electrical engineer being led by the master's degree, but still a good company and still considered a project engineer. MBA usually means easier promotion through ranks to the point where you can simply lead a team of engineers and supervise projects (project managing, bomb ass pay).
>>
>>1170905
>>1171204
Part 2 cont.

Fourth: Not sure how you ended up in IP law to be honest, but you're quite ahead of engineers. I'd say you've found a strong career field that people would kill for, attend extra school for, and never make it in.

If you're unhappy, then see how plausible it is to make the switch by doing some searching, company contacting, etc. If you're happy and feel like there's advancement in your career, then I'd say keep going. You're making more than a lot of electrical engineers 7 years or so into their field. You probably could keep making more or as much as engineering managers.
>>
File: latest.jpg (100KB, 681x567px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
100KB, 681x567px
Not sure if it fits here. I'm a German engineer master student with focus on system engineering. What industry should I try to get in? I thought about either automotive (BMW, Daimler, ...) or Aero (Airbus). Any advices or alternatives?
>>
>>1171209
Systems engineering is usually desired by infotainment, electronics, or something similar. You have a choice anon. It's all manufacturing, but which product you get behind is different. Automotive/automotive supply/manufacturing/etc. What interests you the most?
>>
Please help me OP.

I was previously doing a civil engineering major but due to my diagnosed depression and family issues at home, i ended up dropping that after 2 completed years and switched to environmental science. I am currently set to graduate in a year from now focusing on hydrology. I've never gotten any coop or internships in either engineering or enviro science. What should my next steps be so I dont end up unemployed after I graduate? By the way, I'm a Canadian living in the Greater Toronto Area if that's relevant.
>>
>>1171308
Anon, like I mentioned above, some areas I just don't know anything about.

How do you feel about business with environmental applications/products?
>>
>>1171324
Im not really good with business related subjects. I was only ever good in math and science.
>>
I graduated college three years ago at an early age (with an economics degree), and then went into a Doctoral program that I subsequently dropped out of after a year. When I got out, I had an immediate need to pay bills and the best job I could get was grunt-level data entry, so my work history is now pretty much two years of data entry, a year of academic research, and then two years of retail that I did in college. I'm now at a point where employers who are looking for new and recent grads to train aren't interested in me because of my awful career trajectory and failed stab at grad school, while most other employers are interested in someone with highly-relevant experience, which I don't possess.

How do I get this shit on track and get a job somewhere in the financial realm? I've had a few interviews for underwriting positions but haven't been able to land any. Everything besides that seems to be sales-intensive, which I am not good at. Should I try to get a temp placement somewhere?
>>
>>1167980

Just got a call from a recruiter this morning and he told me he wants to meet me on Tuesday. How should I prepare for this meeting?

Also I'm a guy making $29k a year in my second year of working full time as a lab technician in academia (actually an in vivo research associate but it was cheaper for the uni to hire me as a tech) and have authorships for publications in the nations best neuroscience program. I told the recruiter I'm aiming for a salary range between 40 and 60k but realistically I want to make at least 60k.

How would I go about making this a reality? Should I just wait until negotiations when I land a job to even discuss salary? Does me making $29k a year currently hold me back form making over $60k a year?
>>
>>1171328
I cannot help you then. That field of science is beyond my knowledge, and I would only be confusing or misleading you. Try /sci/ for their help.

>>1171341
You need to refocus your aim, market yourself for a specific career path. Data entry is not a career as you know, but you are more than qualified for entry sales, inside or outside, HR, logistics, purchasing, etc. You can do it anon. You need to just search for entry manufacturing positions, and apply even when they say you need certain amount of experience. Trust me, if you're lucky you can get a call, show your personality, and hope for an interview.

Ya fucked up, but then again I wouldn't have recommend such a blunted degree as economics. Refocus your job hunting to specifically entry level and use keywords. I'm not sure if you've already taken my advice, but please let me know if I can help more or be more specific.

>>1171343
Dress nicely, act as if this is the real interview with the client. Recruiters can prevent you from interviewing with their clients, so it's not a joke. Tell them everyone you want, and always add that it's negotiable. If they pester you on certain facts, then let them know you are flexible and everything is an option.

Regarding salary, you aren't qualified for 60k anon. Not saying that you're bad or unworthy, but no company hands lab techs 60k because they have 2 years of experience. I would say that 45k is your best bet. Don't negotiate too much, because then you don't get a call back. From our perspective, we can find someone who won't complain about the salary as much.

Your current salary DEFINITELY holds you back. No one ever jumps 31k. EVER. Not even senior level engineers. Advance at this new position, stay there a few years or until promotion, then jump ship for the pay you want.
>>
>>1171191
Thank you so much! I think I am going to change that because your way is much more fucking logical and looks actually more organised - how did I not know that... I fucking wonder!

Picture here in Europe (especially eastern) is good to have.

So, do you think I have some fucking chances to get the job that I want? I like simplicity and tideness. I hope my CV shows that.

Thank you again!
>>
>>1171204
>>1171207
Awesome insight, especially about the "staleness" of technical degrees...

I really needed that sort of reality check, as it can get kind of echo-chamber-y in my position since I interact with probably just 2 or 3 peers every day of every week or every month for the last year and a half.

I'm not unhappy by any stretch, and I think that any differentiating factor of "rewarding work" would be offset by me being set back in terms of my financial goals. One of my colleagues in this job who has worked a few years longer than me earned about 300k last year (earnings are proportional to billing at this firm), so there's definitely scope for advancement. Also, I have really good job security, and the only way I could conceivably lose the job is if I myself quit.

Only issue is overwork, but unless I get into that MBA-space, my interactions with peers who are "hand-on" project/design engineers in EE suggest that it's not that different than what they experience.

If you don't mind me asking, what inspired you to make this thread? Really appreciate the insight you gave me, and I enjoyed reading your other posts as well. Thanks :)
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.