[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /biz/. Just changed my major to accounting tell me what to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1450207996528.jpg (37KB, 604x437px) Image search: [Google]
1450207996528.jpg
37KB, 604x437px
Sup /biz/. Just changed my major to accounting
tell me what to expect

picture unrelated
>>
Depends.

CPA Route - 60k a year working 80 extremely high stressed hours a week in a cult like atmosphere where everyone is completely brainwashed in order to not kill themselves. My boss would usually have a mental breakdown where he would flip his shit at everyone, go in his office, smash a bunch of shit, load up on pills, and come out happy and high as a kite once a week. Also he had a heart attack in the three years I worked there. After three years of this you can leave and make about 100k but you will still be working 70/80 hour weeks on the reg and pretty stressed out with little time for vacation.

Non CPA - Working a stressful A/P A/R job at some deadbeat local company for 25k, as well as being someones personal secretary who will most likely be an asshole. (various friends experiences never lived this one)

Government is the only way to go and not die of misery if you go the accounting route.
>>
>>1162939
>CPA Route - 60k a year working 80 extremely high stressed hours
What firm and what location are you talking about?

I'm at a mid size firm making about that much, but I go home at 6 usually, 7 if I need to finish something. I get to the office at 9 to 9:30-ish.
>>
>>1162866
>tell me what to expect
>picture unrelated

expect
picture related

Not kidding. >>1162939 is spot on. Don't get into it just because of the money. Unless you actually like accounting or you have a natural talent towards it and you always score at least 20% above your peers without effort, don't get into accounting. It's a fucking meme.
>>
File: 1313461267270.jpg (54KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1313461267270.jpg
54KB, 720x540px
B4 drone here, >>1162939 this is a little extreme but it's sorta true. Haven't seen people flip their shit but I hear of people crying all the time, girls and guys. Barely even have the time to study for the CPA anymore, once I bail I don't even know what I'm going to do.
>>
>>1162939
This is kind of right, but extremes in both of them.

CPA route is only hell during busy season. Expect 80 hours per then. Afterwards, it's not too bad. 45-50 hours per week and after a few years, you can get any executive position you want in industry.

For the "non CPA" route, 25k is a bit low. The lowest I've seen those positions (full time) were the low 30k, usually closer to 35k. They're stressful, but nothing too bad. And most of the people I know working those 'little people' jobs seem to like it and have a lot of friends in their offices.
>>
Guys I'm an accounting major and have a shit gpa
I think I'll graduate with a 2.7-3.0

Grad school may not be an option. What should I do? Is it possible to get into consulting for big4? I work in my schools alumni call center doing fundraising, and have talked to some guys doing consulting and it seems a lot of them implement new technologies. My concentration in accounting is information systems and could spin my degree as an "analytical discipline"
Is my gpa that detrimental if I try this route?
>>
>>1162939

Well shit.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about being a research assistant for a miserable 23k/yr but actually enjoying my work and not wanting to kill myself every day.
>>
>>1163573
It's based a lot on networking and the connections you make in college. It will be hard to get in with that low of a GPA but probably not impossible if you are going to a decent school and know the right people.
>>
>>1162866

I was originally an accounting major but switched out of it.

A lot more people recommend private, if you have connections and career fairs take advantage of those. You want as many options as possible so you're not stuck with a position the OP described. It's also not a bad idea to keep networking because there's going to be little room to advance from payroll accounting. Similar to public, do your 3 years and then hop companies.

The public role is an investment. You are going to be sacrificing a lot of time from your youth to get a good job after 3-5 years. The longer you can hold out the more likely you'll find higher up opportunities but you'll also probably go insane after the third year.

Good luck
>>
>>1163573
unless you go to a target school, your chances of working for the big4 are pretty slim. accounting courses are generally considered easy so someone with a low GPA as an accounting major doesn't really look great to prospective employers. your only chance at working for the big 4 may be with EY, because they claim they don't look at GPA anymore. they released a report that said GPA does not correlate with work performance (no shit), but when you're at the mercy of recruiters who have to pick from a stack of resumes, your chances are still lesser than others with higher GPAs. at this point, your time would be best invested in networking with professionals. networking does work if done correctly. start on linkedin and find people in the line of work you're interested in and shoot some emails at them. ask them for a phone chat or to meet up for coffee. i was in your position my sophomore year but networked my way out of it. i had a 3.2 GPA but networked hard and was accelerated into final round interviews for an investment banking internship at a bulge bracket bank. the guy just liked me so he recommended me to his managing director and i bypassed all the pre-screening and preliminary round interviews. they didn't even know what my GPA was and didn't care. at the end of the day, people want to work with people they like, so network your ass off.
>>
>>1164173
>>1164173
OP here. I've got a 3.45 GPA right now, a bunch of extracurricular activities, I have some internship experience with another internship coming up in the summer, and I go to the University of Florida. How fucked am I
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.