[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Costco?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1454355149603.jpg (73KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454355149603.jpg
73KB, 600x500px
Anybody work at Costco? Apparently they have a strong culture of promoting from within based on hard work. I make $13 per hour as a cart pusher but if I work for 4 years I will get raises until I max out at like $25 per hour. After that I could potentially become a manager and make like 90k per year.

Anyways I was wondering if working at costco seems like a good career. Idk if I should be a full time worker here or just quit and work full time so I could focus on getting a degree ( in something useful like nursing or engineering )
>>
>>1160775
Where state are you located? I want to break into one of these at night and need info on how their security systems work.
>>
Idk if that's a solid plan, even if you do ramp up to that much of a salary.

It's too dependant on one company, you're basically at their mercy to not having firings or reduce/layoff a few people some time, which is a huge possibility.

Because then you'll be stuff with not really much specialized skills and some experience that's not relevant or valuable for much outside Costco.
>>
>>1160782
what are you going to steal? 100 pound bags of rice?
>>
>>1160775

90k is still poorfag teir
>>
>>1160805

> be me
> get MechE degree
> switch companies
> get MecheE Master's
> get job
> $90k/yr
> poorfag tier
> REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1160805
>>>1160775 (OP)
>90k is still poorfag teir

This. Unless you're making $160k/yr AFTERTAX... MINIMUM. I don't even want to hear it.
>>
>>1160775
Whatever man. Do what you want. All this shit will turn to dust either way
>>
>>1160791
Socks nigga
>>
>>1160835
>>
If you don't have any debt or higher education this is a pretty good idea for now. Be patient, build up some net assets and then make some good investments.

There's people right now going into debt to make the amount of money you make. If you can get up to $50k a year in four years, that's what you would make after a few years in nursing or engineering.

I'd stay where you are, and then maybe take a couple night classes at a cc to see if there's any academic branch you like.
>>
File: 1458655328892.gif (197KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
1458655328892.gif
197KB, 500x285px
>>1160783
This is the only response you should listen to OP. It is not a good plan.
>>
>>1160805
> 40k higher than the average US household income
> poor

???
>>
>>1160923
idk not true I want to be a nurse practitioner and you make like 100k starting I just want costco as a good backup plan

Ill probably try to work full time and go to school. gonna need a lot of coffee tho
>>
>>1160815
lol k. what's it like to be 12 again?
>>
>>1160775
So we really have to spend another 3 days looking at this bitch's vacant stare and nipple-less non-tits? Fuck, just kill me now.
>>
File: 1455550641001.png (7KB, 205x245px) Image search: [Google]
1455550641001.png
7KB, 205x245px
>>1160775
People seem to forget that there are much, *much* easier ways to make money than going into medicine or engineering.

I know someone who ended up living out of a truck (but had all the essentials) and ended up making $100,000 in one year by team driving (i.e. always moving shit) with one truck.
>>
>>1160775

Ehhhhh...

I have had like 5 friends that work for Costco. One of them has been there since he was 18, and is 30 now. I think he gets $80k - $90k a year. And he gets 3 weeks vacations.

It's OKAY. If you want a job where you just show up and don't have to think, it's not bad. And as long as you don't fuck up you have a gauranteed future.

But working there is not that fun, they constantly push the whole "hard work" culture, and you have to suck up a little and worship the Costco lifestyle. Also they play favorites a little. The guy who hangs out with coworkers after work, and sucks up to upper management will get promoted faster.

It's a decent life, but there are much better avenues than Costco.

If this is your life plan, I would advise you to do a trade instead. At least then you can open your own business and not be someone elses bitch.
>>
>2016
>not working as a railroad conductor

Sorry you don't want to make that 90k next year sitting in a chair dude
>>
File: 1432790393017.png (26KB, 775x591px) Image search: [Google]
1432790393017.png
26KB, 775x591px
>>1162034
Can I join the railroad if I'm a scrawny weak little shit?
>>
>>1162024
Would a server job at a restaurant be better? i dont have amy college senpai
>>
Do it just limit the fagetness
>>
>>1162034
where the fucc do conductors make 90k a yeat
>>
>>1162056
you would make more in the short term but not in the long term
>>
>>1162024
I do have the opportunity to be a welder but it is super shitty and bad for your health. Also you dont make that much, I would only get like $18 after like 4 months of training.

Of course I could get certifications and experience and make like 100k but it really is quite bad for your health in the long term and not something I would to do long term

>>1162017
are they just like an owner operator? doesnt seem that bad desu. I would do it but it seems hard to get into for me ( I am planning on going to college next semester and its not like I could be a part time truck driver )
>>
>>1160959
kek the realities of slow moving boards
>>
>>1162017
There are couples out there who are just born to drive together.

They live out of their truck and rotate shifts. They are always moving freight. An O/O on his own can gross 200k+ before any expenses and insurance (which can be a lot). With two people driving you would never stop pulling in money but you also likely wouldn't have much beyond your truck, not that you'd need it.

Still an interesting life. Just look up custom sleeper truck interiors to get an idea for how some of them have it.
>>
>>1162281
Also people take pets with them from time to time. Most common seems to be dogs, followed by cats and maybe snakes or other reptiles after that.
>>
>>1160775
you make 13 as a cart pusher? Jesus. I design manufacturing robots and experiments for the ISS and I make 13 an hour too
>>
>>1162309
Costco is union.
>>
>>1162034

Canada. I work for CP and there are tons of guys making over 100k. I made 96 last year myself.

>>1162036

Yes. Most of the work aside from track repair isn't all that physically demanding. As a conductor there's a lot of walking and tying on manual brakes but that's about it.
>>
>>1160775
Well if you are planning to work for Costco while attending higher education, you can't go wrong with the wages they are offering. My one piece of advice to you is to seek a career that requires either a degree or certification as a career, that way, you have flexibility in the job offerings. Which state do you live in by the way? 25/hr could go a long way in some rural/ suburban areas across the U.S.
>>
>>1160923
Very true, they say one of the best Associates Degrees out their is Business Management. Maybe you could become an assistant manager after you gain your Associates if you are not lazy and have ambition.
>>
>>1162056
There is no chance of any upward mobility for a higher pay grade; so far as you said, Costco starting is pretty good. I would rank Costco as "gainful employment" especially in rural regions of the U.S. where the cost of living and housing dramatically decrease.

I'm a resident Of New York City so if I wanted to live a "comfortable" life style without any worry of my finances, I would have to seek a better starting pay.
>>
>>1162309
What level of Education have you completed?
>>
>>1162235
I know conductors in Canada that do it.

They have a 8 day work week, where you do 5 shifts. These can be scheduled at any time, as long as they are 8 (maybe 12) hours apart. You have to be able to do all of them. So you end up trading any ability to plan your life, but make some money doing it. To make 90k in your first year, you probably have to do some overtime.
>>
File: 1386103588536.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1386103588536.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
I've got a friend that works there. $13 sounds great when you're young but it's fucking shit to try and retire on. You'll get a few raises but never be a manager because everyone wants that position but they'll hire someone more qualified from another branch. Get a real job and stop chasing the retail dream.
>>
>>1162504
>There is no chance of any upward mobility for a higher pay grade
nicer restaurants get better tips and you can get in there once you have a few years experience in a mediocre restaurant
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.