[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROTH IRA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

is there is good or bad time of open a Roth IRA? i have almost 40k in savings after a year of working and i realize now that i should have this money invested somewhere.

Is Fidelity a good place to open one?
Is right now a good time, or does it even matter?

Any advice welcomed, Thanks
>>
Try a fixed indexed annuity
>>
>>1159250
how is this better?

Is there somethign comparable to /fit/'s sticky of all the basics and how to start going about all this? Its a lot to take in at once.
>>
Always put as much as you can into an IRA. It is always better to have money in an IRA compared to just regular investments. Buy Vanguard mutual funds, they have the lowest fees.
>>
Open at Vanguard if you meet the minimum. If not I think TD Ameritrade has no minimum. Dump into passively indexed funds that track the global market. VTWSX is one of them.

Google 3 fund lazy portfolio.

https://www.bogleheads.org/w/index.php?title=Lazy_portfolios

Start here. Click into the links. Read more. Don't buy anything with any kind/front/back/other commission. Don't buy any life insurance. Don't buy any kind of annunity, fixed or variable.
>>
>>1159204

Don't fucking try a fixed income annuity.

Use one of the large low-cost custodians. Fidelity is fine, you can do it with Schwab, Vanguard, or any of the others.

The issue is what you bug with it and your Roth limit is $5,500 anyway so keep the rest safe or you'll open a taxable account for some of it.
>>
>>1159297
so i think i have till tax deadline to put money in for last year. can i put 5500 before april and then another 5500 a few weeks after?
>>
>>1159282
Taking Fit's sticky seriously is already your first problem.

Here is when roth is smarter than 401k:

When you are young, the returns on your investments will be worth more than the money you put in. So you would rather be taxed on the money you put in.

When you are making almost nothing, your tax rate is lower so putting the money in post tax is smarter.

When traditional is smarter
When your adjusted taxable income is on cusp points between tax brackets.
When you are older and the gains on the money will by smaller by withdrawal than the money put in.
When your tax rate is so high that the gains from investing will not equal the initial deposit loss post tax.

So I am guessing you are pretty young. Roth is smarter because 1) you already have the savings taxed and 2) your tax rate is below 40k. You'll make more on the 5500 over the next 30 years than the 5500 is worth. Non taxed profits are better for you.
>>
>>1159296

This guy is giving good advice. Vanguard is not mandatory.

An arguably minor consideration is that since it will be a Roth at $5,500 you will not qualify for admiral shares. In that case, ETF's are a better, lower cost option, especially if you can get them for free (Ameritrade, maybe?).

Schwab offers a number of low-cost, diversified ETF's and mutual funds which track the big indexes
>>
>>1159317

Sorry, yeah. You can actually send two checks one with 2015 Roth in the memo and the other with 2016 Roth. Put them in the same fund if Vanguard and meet the req's for admital shares.
>>
>>1159322
>admiral shares
>>1159329

according to their site, requirement is

>$10,000 for most index funds and tax-managed funds.

if i do 2x 5500 deposits, i make it then right?
>>
>>1159372

Yes, 2 $5,500 deposits will do it. I didn't have to wait my first year. Had done the prior & current year as bank transfer 2 minutes apart.

You can back transfer too.
>>
>>1159400
Dividends and capital gains- do i reinvest them or transfer them to a market settlement fund?
>>
>>1159322

You can convert investor shares to admiral shares after you reach the 10k minimum in total amount put in.
>>
>>1159409

For a retirement account, just have dividends reinvested.
>>
>>1159434

True. See above re: two transactions, one for 2015 Roth, one for 2016 Roth.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.