[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traders and Their Monitors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: iiM5Sv3sjEVA.jpg (126KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
iiM5Sv3sjEVA.jpg
126KB, 640x427px
When traders have a bunch of monitors, what is usually on each one? Why do they need so many?
>>
Different charts for each of the products they trade?
>>
>>1158701

monitors are to traders what bitches banged is to college dudebros. no other way to show off your rank than by having a 12 monitor battlestation.
>>
>>1158701

That guy looks so dirty.
>>
>>1158701
If I were to guess this guy is a either a forex or comex intra-day trader
>>
>>1158701
just remember

P(failure) = 0.9 + 0.1*N
>>
>>1158823
whereas N is the amount of monitors
>>
>>1158701
different scales for the same chart , or different charts
>>
i have an 8 monitor setup at work, ill give you the rundown on what i have on each monitor.

main monitor : price ladders of my main products(US treasury futures)

2nd monitor : price ladders of secondary products(various government bonds)

3rd monitor : more price ladders of secondary products(EU/US STIR futures)

4th monitor : Order book, Fill window, consolidated time and sales for EU and US rates, to monitor big orders.

5th monitor : excel, a dashboard for monitoring and starting / stopping algorithms as well as altering their parameters.

6th monitor : twitter, email and other messaging services.

7th monitor : news

8th monitor : a couple of charts of products i trade.

90% of my time is spent looking at my main monitor.
>>
>>1158873
some stuff i forgot, theres a big quote board of all sorts of different stuff i keep up. it has currencies, commodities, equity index from EU/US and other crap, and also more price ladders of some weird spreads i like to follow.
>>
File: 1334334752947.png (127KB, 450x346px) Image search: [Google]
1334334752947.png
127KB, 450x346px
>>1158897
I achieved a good degree of success with swing strategies, mostly commodities, G10 spot fx, indices and metals.

Which leaves me with a lot of free time on my hands. Heard about price ladders and people making a living out of it.
Where did you learn exactly? Can't find anything useful on the internet except for dubious paid courses
>>
>>1158823
So having a negative amount of monitors is the way forwards?
>>
File: lol.jpg (12KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
12KB, 270x360px
>>1158701
that guy looks like the fat Asian from MadTv.
>>
The formula for trader profitability:

Divide the number "1" by the number of screens at the trader's work station. The resulting percentage is equal to the probability of the trader making a profit over time.
>>
Actual daytrader here.

Most of them are losers who believe that more displays equal better performance. In reality, they are digging a deeper role flooding themselves with excessive information when decisions need to be made quickly.

Two displays are more than enough, most of the time. My teacher had 4, but he was trading multiple assets and teaching at the same time.

These days I focus on two assets: a foreign currency future contract and an index future. When I'm trading the index future, it helps to look at major movers (assets with more than 6% of weight) to get a bigger picture and increase the odds.

Following too many assets is detrimental to performance, especially in daytrading.
>>
Its a relic from the days of low resolution monitors.

These days a serious trader should only need 3 4K monitors, max.
>>
i have four 22"s that sit on top of a 50" tv that i also use as a computer monitor. the four watch eur/usd, e-mini, gold and something else that looks good. the 50" is used getting n out of trades and for regular pc use.
>>
>>1160004
>Where did you learn exactly?
mostly from other traders ive worked with, mixed in with stuff ive figured out on my own. ive never seen any book or website have any good info on this stuff, i guess the reason is that its mostly used by professionals that dont have a big interest in sharing. but its like any other way of trading, it takes lots of work to really learn it well.
>>
>>1160016
>"the fat Asian from MadTv"
>he doesn't know who Bobby Lee is
guy's a legend
>>
File: 1453690922739.jpg (98KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
1453690922739.jpg
98KB, 600x448px
>>1158701
>When traders have a bunch of monitors, what is usually on each one? Why do they need so many?
Because it's fucking cool
>>
>>1158701
We have a saying.
"If you can't make any money with one monitor, you're not going to make any with five, either."
>>
>>1158873
>a dashboard for monitoring and starting / stopping algorithms as well as altering their parameters

What tool do you use for this? Thanks.
>>
traders wasting money on useless shit, this is why their businesses fail,
>>
>>1161030
i use TT. check out tradingtechnologies.com i use the x_trader pro package which costs $1.2k / month, but i think they offer some toned down alternatives for cheap
>>
File: algo.png (86KB, 1148x552px) Image search: [Google]
algo.png
86KB, 1148x552px
>>1161460
this is the dashboard view i mentioned. this is not an actual screenshot of my algos.
>>
>>1161460
Oh, wow, that's quite expensive. I guess I'm going to need to brush up on my qt...

It looks like that tool begins at $50/mo and increases as you use it until it reaches the price cap. Maybe it will be affordable for a newbie like me.
>>
>>1161470
yeah, i work at a firm so i dont actually pay for this stuff myself, so the terms of pricing may be a bit different for an individual. however, pretty much every professional futures trader / firm uses this software and there is a reason for it, its simply the best. the ADL software is really helpful in quickly implementing algos, and for more sensitive stuff you can always just use TTAPI and do it in C++ or whatever.
>>
>>1160993
universally correct for any investment application. Learn to work with one or none and then five will prove 5 times more profit.

same way of having five cars but not knowing anything of them. Why do you have them if you don't know each ones purpose...
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.