[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

File: 1457737246294.jpg (206KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1457737246294.jpg
206KB, 768x1024px
All you niggaz out here always be like trades yo. So how do I into trades???.
>>
> Go to welding
> Learn to weld
> Don't be fucking retard

That's it.
6 figures starting if you're willing to put in overtime.
>>
Canada or US Op?
>>
>>1152371
yeah yeah nah
>>
>>1152372
US
>>
>>1152371
How much do you get paid an hour?
>>
>>1152371
Go to welding? As in welding school? You gotta pay for that yourself?
>>
Go to a local shop and just keep bugging them until they ley you sweep floors and make cuts for $15/hr. Then you work your way up.

Protip: buy the tools for the job you want to do.
>>
Go out and look for apprenticeships in the field you want to do, if they want you to have some experience ask straight away if you can do some with them, keep going until you get experience in the trade you want and then go back to the company and ask for an apprenticeship. Go through and try to get them to pay for you school/a decent living wage. I'm in Australia so it might be different to the USA or Canada
>>
>>1152371
>6 figures starting
lmfao yeah right
>>
>>1152519
That number is accurate with overtime. You must live in eastern europe or something
>>
>>1152364
I enlisted in the Air Force and they taught me. When I got out I did residential construction.
>>
>>1152531
Nah bud you dont know what youre talking about. Starting welders working in oil fields in California earn about $60. I know cause my neighbor was one.
>>
>>1152537
$60k a year*
>>
>>1152537
>you know a welder who started at 60k
>therefore all welders start at 60k and never 100k
You have the reasoning skills of a 10 year old. Go ahead and cover your eyes so no one can see you
>>
>>1152538
This. Welding is a meme. Average welding salary in the US is around $40k. Underwater welders can make $80-100k after 5 years experience. Some can make more but thats pretty rare.
>>
>>1152540
>You have the reasoning skills of a 10 year old. Go ahead and cover your eyes so no one can see you

Look at average salaries and some job postings you fucking retard.

Welding DOES NOT pay well. It's literally like $30-50k per year on average.

No clue where you're getting 100k starting from. Show us some job listings that don't require a dozen years experience then.
>>
>>1152364

ITT: Honkies. Lots and lots of honkies.
>>
>>1152562
I have never met a welder making $30 to $50k. Where Im from, if you put in the overtime you can easily clear $100k. Union commercial construction pays extemely well. I know because I did it for years before 2008 crisis. If you're a welder making $30k you're either a shitty welder or just retarded. Move to California and join a union. They cant get enough welders and you can easily clock 60 hour weeks all year with double time on Saturday and time and a half over 8.

I dont know why you guys are in such denial about this
>>
>>1152562
http://salarygenius.com/ca/san-francisco/salary/union-welder-salary

You just got BTFO, kid. Average wage is over $85k and average starting is $70k BEFORE overtime. Easily six figures with overtime

I swear there are shills on here being paid to knock the trades
>>
>>1152624
Wrong. I live in California. Even Welder IIIs make like $60k tops. Check any job posting.
>b-but muh anecdotal evidence!
>muh outliers!
>everyone here makes that!
Sure bud. We believe you.
>>
>>1152637
>b-but muh outliers!
>muh one city in the whole US!
Kek
>>
>>1152637
>San Francisco

What next, you'll link salaries in New York City?
>>
>>1152438

well you can always ask momma to pay ;)
>>
>>1152639
THIS

I actually considered welding for a while. Looked it up... Unhealthy as fuck, expected to be replaced by automation for the most part and pay is literally piss-poor.
>>
>>1152643
>>1152644
I posted the payrates in my area. I could give a fuck less about the national average. The original post that anon made was you can make 6 figures welding. And you can. And tons of people do. If you live in Bumfuck, Missouri, you arent gonna make much doing anything. Go knock trades somewhere else.
>>
>>1152637
Those salary websites are always way wrong. Find an actual job lsiting promising six figures to weld. Oh wait you cant cause you dont know what the fuck youre talking about. You're a lying little poser.
>>
>>1152540
Bro, my old man is a welder. They don't make 6 figures starting out even with over time.
>>
>>1152653
I hope you realize "salarygenius" very well pulled that shit out of their ass or took 5 self-reported salaries.

Open craigslist or whatever and look for some. Nearly none pay over $20/hr as starting.
>>
>>1152656
>I know one welder
>all welders are exactly the same

>>1152655
Unions dont post job listings, idiot. Thats the point of joining a Union, they find work for you
>>
>>1152661
Ok bud. youre right and the rest of us are wrong.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-19-18-25-33.png (404KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-19-18-25-33.png
404KB, 1440x2560px
>>1152653
So you're assuming that he is specifically from SF, California? That is probably one of the only places in the entire US where you can make $100k as a regular welder, including the rest of California. Do you even know what an 'outlier' is? When you say stuff like "welders make 100k" it might be correct in very special circumstances but the average is well below half of that. Welding is a meme. There are a lot of trades that pay much better.
>>
Look, faggots. OP asked about trade work so we could all speak from our own experience on it.

My experience is this:

OP, if you are located in or interested in relocating to the SF Bay Area and Silicon Valley, you can pull six figures working union construction in a wide variety of trades, welding being one of them.

If you would like to live and work for shitty pay in shitty places where other anons ITT are located, go right ahead. In that case, you will not pull six figures. Instead, you will end up angry that anyone could possibly live and work in a high quality of life area where work is abundant and pay is exceptional, and find yourself trying to discourage others in fits of autism
>>
>>1152665
>Literally breathing cancerous fumes as a profession for <$50k/yr

IS THERE A MORE KEKED CAREER?

HAHAHAHAHAHAJAHAH

ECONOMICS MASTER RACE

GET TO WORK PEASANT TRADESMEN. HAHAHAHA
>>
>>1152673
Silicon valley is known for having salaries well above the norm. Next time you tell someone they can make $100k as a welder you should probably preface it with "but I live in a retardedly expensive area where secretaries make $100k, oh and also I work 60 hours a week".
>>
File: pepe_50_0.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_50_0.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>1152673
The cost of living in SF and Silicon Valley is also literally one of the highest.

So you're saying that us living ANYWHERE but there is shitty? That's a little ridiculous.

Oh well. Someone's gotta breathe the Carcinogenic fumes. Better you than me, bruv. Enjoy your salary while I drink coffee and pretend to work

Pic related is your facial expression asking yourself why you became a trades cuck before shooting yourself.
>>
>>1152681
>>1152682
>B-but muh cost of living
I pay $700 for a two bedroom. I also make twice the national average for my occupation. You do the math

>protip: cars, groceries, phones, cable, internet all costs the same everywhere you go

"Muh cost of living" is a meme underachievers use to justify their tiny salaries. If you live frugally, it makes no sense to not live where the money is
>>
>>1152684
Go die 20 years earlier from the fumes KEK
>>
>>1152682
The guy youre replying to doesnt actually weld. He's full of shit. He probably doesnt live in SF or work any kind of trade.

I looked and union journeymen ironworkers in SF earn $34 an hour. MAYBE if you grind a lot of OT you can crack 100k a year but it seems unlikely.

http://www.universityofiron.org/trainingcenters/beniciaca.html
>>
>>1152691
That's what I thought.

I've seen a lot of trades threads on /biz/ that sound they're from people who are fee up they can't crack it at Calculus and MicroEcon101 or whatever they have so they try to look for something easy and "just as good"
>>
>>1152691
Bad bait. Iron worker =/= all welders. Looks like I have to educate you, too. In the trades, every company hires welders and they work under the union contract of that specific trade. The guys I worked with made $45 plus matching 401k, pension, healthcarse and vacation time. The entire package is north of $120/hr
>>
>>1152688
This. Might as well have been a secretary or executive assistant there. You would take less health risks, work less hours, and not have to be on your feet all day in the sun (and make the same salary). Not many options for people without a degree but at least you wouldnt be working 60-80 hours a week just to pull in a living wage.
>>
>>1152696
>secretary or executive assistant
Why not just professional cuckold? Have some self respect for fucksake. Tell a girl you're a secretary and see how far it gets you. Now tell her you build skyscrapers for a living and try not to get washed down a stormdrain by the waterfall erupting from her panties
>>
>>1152696
Nah man I like people who work trades.

We do need SOMEONE to do the shit we can't be bothered to do it.

That's why I love poor people. It's hard not to love someone doing physical labor or cleaning toilets for you.
>>
>>1152695
>The guys I worked with made $45 plus matching 401k, pension, healthcarse and vacation time. The entire package is north of $120/hr

Cool if this was in the CBA that you can link us up the CBA and prove us all wrong.

In the meantime I'll continue to call you a lying poser faggot.

-Signed an actual skilled tradesman and union worker
>>
>>1152698
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Le trades are manly meme

Is that why every tradesman is a fat 80 IQ fuck with dirty oversized clothes and a fat wife?

I've LITERALLY never seen q tradesman I wanted to be like or said "damn he's got a nice life" about
>>
>>1152698
Hey you're the one without the degree. I'm just trying to give you options. I heard plenty of cases where people with cuckold jobs make over $100k in silicon valley. I personally would never live there. I used to fly to San Jose every week years ago and worked in a few companies there and SF. I just didn't like the vibe so I work in LA instead.
>>
>>1152700
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/pdf/cbrp2174.pdf&q=1621%20glaziers%20collective%20bargaining&ved=0ahUKEwjW39KGls7LAhUO1GMKHSQ6DzIQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHxmkuv0YblqJ6Q7x9PZgL88te73A

Read it and weep faggot. Oh I even forgot to include travelpay
>>
>>1152701
>>1152703
>t. $35k/year office assistants
Good luck paying back your $50,000 college loan on your McIntern salary
>>
>>1152706
>Mfw no debt

Enjoy your lung cancer
>>
File: scum.jpg (25KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
scum.jpg
25KB, 600x455px
Lel Lel Lel
Enjoy your union jobs, uneducated masses
Because those will never get replaced by automation
>interest rates incredibly low
>sovereign debt negative interest rates
>corporate debt cheap as fuck
>equipment Capex ALL DAY LONG
>>
>>1152706
>because an office assistant or intern would by flown in every week for a year
Haha. You're reaching. All I am saying is that everyone in silicon valley makes over $100k. Welding is not any special trade and 99% of welders make less than $80k.

Now underwater welding...
Thats something entirely different. Too bad you don't do that lol. I might actually be impressed.
>>
>>1152519
Currently working in canada in town as a second year pipefitter. 98k a year gross on 50 hours a week. Welders are matched. Journeyman welders are making somewhere around 120k per year. I know rig welders who are making in the area of over 400,000 a year at 120.00 per hour on contract.
>>
>>1152714
I'm not even a welder. I dont understand all the hate directed towards trades ITT. If you've gone through college, paid off your loans and are now making enough more than $45/hr that youve replaced the 4 years of salary a tradesman earned while you were in school, then by all means, riff on. More likely, though, the losers ITT are roleplay econ majors who will drop out after a year of 2.0 GPA and wish they had a skill that could get them 6 figures, but are "too good" for the trades
>>
>>1152704
I dont see a pay schedule anywhere. Also, 401k doesnt appear anywhere.
>>
>>1152719
Any rig welder making $400k is obviously an underwater welder. Its an extremely specialized field.
>>
>>1152723
>>1152704
Found the pay schedule. Journeyman glaziers make less than $40 an hour base pay.

http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd-staff/contract%20and%20salary%20schedules/Local%20718%20salary%20schedule.pdf

Stay wrong, faggot.
>>
>>1152723
Cool, I dont really give a fuck what you see. The pay schedule tops at $45/hr, $52 for foreman. I cashed the retirement account like an idiot 3 years ago. Had accumulated $7500 in 4 years without making any contribution whatsoever. Stay mad you live in Kentucky and make half that for the same work
>>
>>1152722
I have nothing against trades just against trade schools that pump out tons of graduates due to lenient requirements and pell grants who then realize that they are not making half the salary they were promised and have a hard time getting a job. There are trades that pay better than others. I dont think anyone took issue with people going for trade jobs, it was just your specific statement that welders make $100k/year. It just is not accurate. The average salary for welders is around $40k. Just because some welders in silicon valley make more does not mean anything because every salary is double the average there.
>>
I'm a 2nd year apprentice welder in Alberta working in a pipe shop. I'm making $34 an hour plus $3 an hour for night shift. 10 hour shifts with overtime after 8 hours. 5 days a week with optional 6th day for more overtime. Journeymen I work with make $56 an hour and up depending on the tickets you have. For everyone talking about how much welders make, it's a lot. I have met many rig welders who have made over 300k a year.
>>
>>1152725
Nope, B pressure/CWB working in the oilfield. Taking home 240$ subsistence, per day. 120.00 per hour, and working 10-12 hour days. Considering he's also self employed, he can write off quite a bit. I've also seen the income tax report. It's very real. US tradesmen are on the shit tier cuckold list.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-18-14-45-29.png (129KB, 717x1274px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-18-14-45-29.png
129KB, 717x1274px
>>1152729
> The pay schedule tops at $45/hr

45 x 40 x 52 = $93k

Like I said, barely cracking 100k with lots of OT

>Stay mad you live in Kentucky and make half that for the same work

I live in Los Angeles. I'm an ILWU longshoreman. Pic related is what I make. See, I can actually back up my claims with proof cause I'm not a lying poser faggot like you.
>>
>>1152738
Considering most tradesmen in alberta work 50 hour weeks. Not 4 days a week... and also get overtime after 8 hours a day. Plus full benefits, matching pension. It adds up.
>>
>>1152741
Too bad we're not talking about canada. We're talking about California. Your dollar is weak as fuck which is why your wages are higher than ours. Fuck off.
>>
>>1152738
You're a union tradesman calling other union tradesman poser faggots for being union tradesmen.

You have problems, bro
>>
>>1152737
You're the second Canadian on this thread to claim this and I have no reason to believe its not true. Why is the wage in Canada so high? Shortage of welders? Something else?
>>
>>1152743
Our dollar was matching not long ago. Despite that, wages haven't changed.
>>
File: 20150909_102217.jpg (833KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150909_102217.jpg
833KB, 2048x1152px
>>1152744
I'm calling YOU and only YOU a lying poser faggot because you are. Post your paystub. bro. Post some pics from work. Here's a pic from my work.
>>
>>1152741
>>1152743
Ahh I just realized you are talking about Canadian dollars. Its still higher that US wages though when you convert it. Why is this?
>>
>>1152747
>post a paystub on an anonymous liferuining-enthusiast website
Lol no. I dont have to prove anything. My posts make it clear I know what im talking about. 28 with 10 years of trade experience with a short hiatus circa housing crisis.

P.S. youre an idiot for posting your work here. Screams "desperate for validation"
>>
>>1152745
Oilfield pays really well here, and the average rig welder (contracted/self employed) works for a wage of 90-130 per hour. Subsistence is usually added as well and it's not taxed in the province of alberta. Not all welders make this, or stay employed year round. But the fact that they're making somewhere around 900-2000 per day still stands. Whether you work 2 months a year, or the full 12 if you've networked well enough and made a decent name for yourself allows you to live more the comfortably.
>>
>>1152756
>My posts make it clear I know what im talking about.

Nah they make it clear youre a moron talking out of your ass.

I'm out.
>>
>>1152758
Hey buddy where you working out of. I'm working in nisku.
>>
>>1152758
Interesting. I had no idea. Well there you have it. If you want to be a welder go to Canada.
>>
>>1152761
Lol ok bro. Good night

>>1152758
Is anyone still actually working Canadian oilfields? Probably running skeleton crews right?
>>
>>1152765
Yeah working nisku, at Ledcor modular yard. What about you anon?
>>
>>1152767
No just the west. Trades make shit money out east. A welder in Ontario makes like 20 an hour maybe and it's not really a trade there. There it's called being an iron worker, I got a friend doing it and I'm trying to get him to move but he won't cause the wife and kid
>>
>>1152770
Yeah, tons of people are still working, tons of people are also currently laid off. My yard is fully manned at the moment (300 people). It's at the point of, if you have a job. Hold the fuck on to it.
>>
>>1152771
Working at jv driver in their pipe shop. Got laid off in October and start back in a week.
>>
>>1152776
You live in beaumont?
>>
>apprenticeship in plumbing
>300$/hr starting
>any contract I want
>>
>>1152790
I live close to Fort saskatchewan. Pay is too good not to drive a little.
>>
The starting wage for a welder in California is $15/hr
>>
>>1152801
>California is one place and everyone is the same
I never understand people who make blanket statements like this. The beauty of capitalism is that one negotiates their own pay.
>>
>>1152808
>says the person who said welders make $100k based one small city in California
>doesnt understand how people make blanket statements
>when he did exactly that
Topkek. Are you just trolling this thread are you really this dense?
>>
>>1152826
I said it was possible to in my area. Thats hardly a blanket statement. Why are you still so mad that welders can make 6 figures? Did a welder steal your girlfriend or something?
>>
>>1152837
>doesn't know how IDs work
>being this much of a newfag

Also
>6 figures starting if you're willing to put in overtime.
sounds like a blanket statement to me you fucking retard. You didn't say it was just your area until halfway through the thread. Then you deride someone else for making a blanket statement. You're an idiot.
>>
>>1152826
Not just one city, friend. It's not uncommon for skill trades to do 100k in any major city west of texas.
>>
>>1152808
Not to be a stickler or anything but his statement was more accurate than yours overall because he is correct, the starting wage for a welder is around $15/ hour for MOST of California.

>>1152837
That guy isnt me.

>>1152851
Name another city in California where welders can make $100k after tons of overtime. I am looking at all the job postings right now and 99% of them are $40k.
>>
>>1152858
I have cusins pulling 10k a month in Las Vegas working 60 hour weeks. Im not really interested in getting into a whole discussion Im just saying. You guys are underestimating the money alot in skill trade work
>>
>>1152808
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ca.htm

Download the xls file and see for yourself. The starting wage for a welder -- without experience is $15 /hr in California.
>>
>>1152867
We arent talking about skilled trade workers making $100k. I dont disagree with you because I know that some trades pay well. We are talking about if welding in general is a high paying trade. Its really not. There are a few outliers like with any statistic where people make a decent living but most welders make around $40k. There are much better trades. Overall welding is a meme.
>>
Op here. what about dem electricians n shiieet??
>>
Ausfag here would going into solar or geothermal electricity be a good investment?
>>
>>1152624
Such nonsense... Welders don't make that much in California..
>>
Trades are for dumbass edgy kids who couldn't pass high school and were given a torch.
>>
Long-term, trade work isn't really ideal because if you get hurt or sick, you cannot make any money.

You can't really work into your 50s/60s like you can in finance or IT.
>>
>>1153053
This is true with my dad. Once he turned 50, no one wanted to hire him. He's a master mechanic, and I'm not sure if I could afford his shoulder surgeries. There's less grueling work, like an electrician, but still.
>>
>>1153063
IMO electrician and plumber are the best trades for work to money ratio
>>
>>1153047
to scorch your blowtorch, dork
>>
>>1152878
true- plus any trade will take you 10 years to become a real journeyman. its good to have a trade but it isn't a winning lottery ticket
>>
How hard is it to get into the electricians union?
>>
>>1152540

You gotta know somebody to make six figures starting tho>>1152552
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.