[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/JOB INTERVIEW GENERAL/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: 1421516535704.jpg (593KB, 1587x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1421516535704.jpg
593KB, 1587x1058px
>ITT: post stories about your job interviews and give each other tips

I'll start

>2 years ago
>applying for my very first job at a supermarket online
>have to fill in a block with a "motivation letter"
>write the following
>"I could have put a nice story here about how I'm passionate about working here, but the truth is I need money and don't want to sit on my ass all day long"
>send it up
>the guy gives me a call the next and invites me for an interview
>he says that's what made my application stand out over the others
>hired on the spot
>>
>>1152211
>went to a job interview at Target
>wanked my cock off while keeping eye contact
>interviewer just sat and watched the entire time
>got the job
Real story.
>>
Had several interviews at a large multinational firm. In one of them they really grilled me and I wasn't expecting it at all, in fact I got so nervous I asked if we could start over and they said sure. After that though I was much more calm and it went way better. I actually learned a lot of good answers in that interview, and I ended up being offered a position above the one I was interviewing for.
>>
>>1152429
Damn what kind of questions do they ask when they want to "grill" you?
>>
I'm in top-tier software engineering, so the interviews are very different than other fields. Usually 1-2 phone interviews after which they fly you out for an entire day of interviewing, which is usually 3-5 different interviewers. The questions both on the phone and in person are always technical, like taking a CS exam in college.

You need to know how to program on a whiteboard. For the most part it needs to compile/run (i.e. you cannot use pseudocode, you need to know the syntax of the language you're writing-- Python's an easy one for this). You should be able to analyze the space/time complexity of your algorithms.

Common things to know are tree/graph-traversal and manipulation (like minimum spanning tree and shit), dynamic programming, and hash tables.

If you're a fucking autist like I was you'll need to practice. For example if you want to work at Google, interview with Facebook first to practice your on-site interviewing.
>>
>>1152483
Thank you for this, I'm pursuing a degree in Mathematics with programming classes, so I will keep this in mind. Do they also ask personal questions?
>>
>apply for warehouse job for summer
>be the only one who shows up in a suit
>lie and say i intend on staying for an indeterminate amount of time
>say i've heard what the physical aspects of the job are and i enjoy pushing my body hard. i run 10ks, etc.
>get job same day.
>>
My first job was waving signs. They called me in to the office and I was there 10 minutes early. The guy was dicking around on the phone and ended up hanging up after I'd been during there for 40 minutes.

He asked if I was a fellon, I said no, he gave me papers to sign and said "don't worry about the drug testing, that's only for in-office employees" and that I would start work that weekend.

It was weird to me because my boomer family always told me that I had to answer a barrage of questions and prepare for a second and maybe third interview and a whole bunch of other shit.

Every interview I had where I spent more than 1 minute answering questions, I didn't get the job, and every job I got had less than 40 seconds before we shook hands and I was given the papers to sign for employment.
>>
>It was weird to me because my boomer family always told me that I had to answer a barrage of questions

Yeah, you usually do. But not for a fucking slave trade occupation of flailing a piece of plastic.

Literally a crude machine could complete your work more efficiently, literally all you had to do was be alive to get that job. The fact that you showed up on time for the "interview" was enough to instantly set you above all the other "candidates".

How is your career going? Have some cars waved back to you yet?
>>
>>1153642
What are typical hard questions they ask at job interviews?
>>
>>1153649
Prove whether P=NP or not.
>>
>>1152211
>final months of uni coming up
>dirt poor so its a shit uni
>did my best to learn everything I can
>start looking for internship that will at least cover food
>nobody is paying anything
>as the luck would have it some anon says his mother is in my biz in europian country
>ask if he can pass an application for internship
>leaves me email for contact
>week later
>haven't sent application because of fear of rejection
>Its in a expensive country so if they don't agree to cover something i cant do it and I don't want to waste their time corresponding with autistic guy
Fucking kill me
>>
File: 1453011552298.jpg (125KB, 1101x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453011552298.jpg
125KB, 1101x800px
Ok /biz/ so I just got an interview at Costco. I would make $15 to push carts and after a few years I could make $25 per hour. It really is a fucking awesome job.

The problem is I am really nervous about the interview and don't want to mess it up. What should I do to prepare for the interview and what questions are usually asked. What should I say when they ask why I want to work at costco? Its about the money but I probably shouldn't say that right?

Anybody here ever worked at costco before? Thanks!
>>
>>1153751
>bitch about no job or internship
>don't apply anywhere for fear of rejection

You're a certifiable retard.

Anyways, most companies don't "reject" you so much as you just never hear from them. All you need is one to say yes.
>>
>>1153776

>15 per hr to push carts

how the fuck is that real, I'm guessing you would only get a couple shifts per week?
>>
>>1153785
I understand my mistakes.
I just wish i had the balls to overcome some mental views i have about me and my future and about others.
>>
>>1153776
$3k pushing carts

i wonder why all these low wage cucks never can afford to drive a new mercedes.with that monthly.

they REALLY must love to spend it on other shit instead.

the $15/h wage is a meme, even in the USA faggot.
>>
>>1153912
>>1153805
not a meme and I get like 30 hours per week

costco just treats there employees like actual people

novel idea huh?
>>
>>1153776
obviously don't say its about the money.

say something like "I have been a customer her for years and have always had a great experience because of the friendly staff. After thinking it over I've realized I want to work here so I can continue the friendly and courteous experience for others.
>>
>"I could have put a nice story here about how I'm passionate about working here, but the truth is I need money and don't want to sit on my ass all day long"
>send it up
>the guy gives me a call the next and invites me for an interview
>he says that's what made my application stand out over the others
>hired on the spot

Yeah that didn't happen

Literally everyone wants money and wants to keep busy, you're not a special snowflake for saying that, all you're showing is you're so bad at writing about yourself and the company that you have to tell them what they already know. When you write a bullshit resume or cover letter about the company and yourself it shows that you're at least somewhat committed and interested in this company. No shit they know you want money, everyone does, but if that's what you write it's in the trash for you.
>>
>>1154124
Nah, I did this in my last job interview for a sales job. I said

>obviously I'm most interested in the money, but I think working here would be a good experience and the skills would definitely be transferrable to other indistries
>>
>>1154145
>obviously I'm most interested in the money, but I think working here would be a good experience and the skills would definitely be transferrable to other indistries
You really didn't though, it's not the same

>obviously I'm most interested in the money
If that was all you said then you'd look like a fucking idiot

>I think working here would be a good experience and the skills would definitely be transferrable to other indistries
This shows that you care or you're at least trying to give them a reason to be there that they don't already know just by you being there
>>
>>1154154
Well if you literally just walked in and said "gibsmedat" you'd look like an autist. The guy you're replying to got interviewed and probably asked at least some of those questions. Just because the interview didn't go EXACTLY like he briefly described in this thread doesn't mean he is lying. You're just autistic and splitting hairs here.
>>
>>1154124
>Yeah that didn't happen

But it did. Thinking outside the box, they like that.
>>
>>1154124
it was probably like a grocery store checkout boy position.
>>
>>1154710
Yes, like I said it was for a supermarket. I just started working as a shelf stocker.
>>
>>1154145
Best not to mention that you plan on leaving in the future.
>>
Slightly different question. This is gonna be angsty and a rant bexause of intense frustration but i think its relevant.

How do I get passed the initial stage and actually to the interview?

I've Applied to literally ~70 jobs in the last 3/4 of a year and noone wants to interview me. I've been interviewed twice, but they were for longshot jobs and I was lucky to even get interviewed. I got tips and they basically said they wanted someone with more experience and to apply later. I call in and they say to wait for them or that I "am fine but just weren't the person [they were] looking for" except for the two times where they set up the interview over the phone.

I was well liked at my last jobs, I am a student who is three years into his bachelors, I have two years of computer repair and two years of food service, I am in shape and have an active social life and am not creepy or anything. I just moved and there are job openings everywhere.

I have diversified myself and am Cisco network certified, A+ certified, pet-sitter certified, red cross certified, and have completed an internship with a local business solutions firm back at my older location. I also have a clean record.

How do you make yourself stand out compared to other candidates? I'm getting turned down by minimum wage positions that 17 year olds fill as well as positions that I am certified for and have experience with. Its not just my appearance because apply-online positions are also not responding. I feel l'm being punished or something by God. My social group makes fun of me for it because they all just apply and get any job they apply for and can't believe I've applied to 70 places without anyone wanting me. My parents think I'm lying and I'm just leeching off society and its extremely frustrating to see everyone else around me breeze into every job and knowing that positions are open everywhere.

I'm in student loan debt because of this now just so I can eat and keep a cheap apartment.
>>
>>1154742
Damn that sounds fucking shitty. What's your major?
>>
>>1154757
Computer Science/Physics. I'm 2 1/2 years and am technically in compsci, but have been working on a physics minor that might become the major and have compsci become the minor because I think I prefer that and it will only take like a semester longer.
>>
>>1153649
Explain how to treat this patient given his lack of success with these previous treatments
Justify your answers
>>
>>1153776
Former Costco employee here

The interviews are basically how likeable you are because it's all about the image

Oh and for the first 30 days if you're even 1 minute late you are fired. If your shirt isn't tucked in right you're fired. If you say anything that can be construed as offensive to a member you are fired.

They will fire you for literally anything and everything. Hope you're good at being perfect and hope to every God out there that you are never late or sick during those first thirty days because they seriously will fire you for being late even once.

I've seen it happen plenty of times.

And after that if you're not constantly improving when they do your performance reviews they'll fire you.

Costco is probably the biggest bunch of dicks I've ever worked for. I worked in the bakery and got fired because I put ONE piece of bread in the bag the wrong way.

This was one day after they told me I was an exemplary new employee. Never late and don't even take breaks. Open and close. Etc.

I hope your Costco is not as full of faggot management as mine was and I hope you're good at being perfect.
>>
>>1154742
It's weird that you're getting no interviews because you don't seem retarded. You must be doing something wrong.

What type of companies are you applying for? What does your resume look like?
>>
>>1154742
You're boring probably.
>>
>>1154775
I am applying to Walmarts, fast food, computer repair places, craigslist listings that seem legit, bakeries, home audio installation, bank telling, data entry, driving, and waiting at restaurants.

Mostly fast food these days.
>>
>>1154780
I'm a very boring person. People usually tell me I'm very stoical. Which mostly means I don't show emotion or talk much I think.

I have a social life, but its mostly hanging out and shared hobbies. Not really anything exciting.
>>
>>1154790
No one wants to hire a boring person
>>
I posted this is a different thread but Ill post it here as it can be used for all sorts of jobs/companies.

1) go to glassdoor.com
2) look up the company youre interview is for; the smaller the company the less chance you will find it but this is very useful for big companies
3) when you get to your company's glassdoor page select the interviews tab
4) try to find the job you're applying for and you can read what people wrote about their interview experiences. sometimes they even write what questions they were asked during their interviews and you can formulate responses beforehand

i did this when i had an interview for a great new graduate position at a top bank. they asked EXACTLY the same questions as what was written on glassdoor and my answers were fucking great. Now, mine was a perfect situation, you may or may not be asked the same questions but either way this method gives you a good idea of the types of questions your interviewer may ask.
>>
>>1155183
Thanks!
>>
>>1154731
I'm pretty sure the interviewer understands that a 19 year old kid in college doesn't plan on working an entry level sales job until he dies
>>
>>1155325
>>
File: 1368157021321.gif (117KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1368157021321.gif
117KB, 500x370px
>approached by aged black man at wage-slave job
>friendly conversation
>hey you wanna make money kid???
>heres my card gimme your number lets talk about a job interview
>at interview
>you want to make money right?
>your job is shit right?
>you want to make money right?
>I wont tell you about what you would be doing at this job but why dont we schedule you to pay me money for classes
>got any friends interested?
fucking scams
we talked about everything besides the job so much I was almost fooled
>>
>>1155803

Damn those fuckers probably catch a lot of poor young saps out.
>>
>>1154742

70 jobs? Are you willing to move?

Get on Indeed and search "it" throughout the entire USA, assuming you live here..

Before I finished my CS degree, I worked in pharmacy and got laid off from a hospital. I applied to literally 200 pharmacy jobs in states I would live in. I was able to interview through Skype and was offered probably 25 positions within a month.
>>
File: FIRED.jpg (1MB, 4806x3204px) Image search: [Google]
FIRED.jpg
1MB, 4806x3204px
>>1154772
>can't even put a bread in a bag the right way
>complains about getting fired
>>
File: goldie-photo.jpg (21KB, 642x428px) Image search: [Google]
goldie-photo.jpg
21KB, 642x428px
just had an interview for a job at costco, went well. said I would hear back in a week for another interview.

should I call in a few days to check up or send a thank you note? never really had a real interview before
>>
> tfw have adderall script

fucking amazing for interviews tbqh

HIGHLY recommend, makes you seem extremely friendly, high energy, and outgoing
>>
>>1152483

Seems like the type of job where you have to work your ass of, doing boring shit all day, optimizing complicated algorithms, just so some database is 4.2 % more efficient.

I am really glad I went into the more creative field of AI.
>>
>>1153034
Depends on the specific company. Microsoft is sort of an old-style company so they will still ask you some traditional questions, but nothing stereotypical like "where do you see yourself in five years".

Google won't ask soft skills questions at all. At least, if they do it's just a little small talk to make you comfortable before the exam starts, and they won't grade you on it. It depends on the social skills of the interviewers you get.

At a company like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. they will pretty much just ask you personal questions to see how good of a "culture fit" you are. Probably so long as you don't tell them you can't work with women and minorities you'll be fine with any answer you give.
>>
>>1155992
Not at all. We devise creative solutions to practical problems. We actually have a lot of AI/machine learning stuff going on too if you're into that. You're thinking of collared shirt type jobs like being a code monkey at HP or IBM. I said top-tier.
>>
>>1156019

Alright, guess what put me off (besides the lack of creativity testing) is the fact they want to look over your shoulder to check your syntax. As someone that works with a lot of different languages, that seems rather inconsequential and trivial. I mean of course you should know the basic syntax of at least one language, but you'd think that would be a given if you were accepted for the interview in the first place.
>>
>>1155861
>put hundreds of bread in bags for hours
>fuck up once out of the hundreds of breads
>it wasn't even that bad of a fuck up; just didn't look right
>fired after being told by everyone how great you are and how fast you're improving for 3 weeks
It's okay I don't feel bad. Costco is just dicks. You don't guys someone for fucking up once.
>>
>>1156010
Do you know anything about IBs or hedge funds?
>>
I interviewed for a job at Paccar a while ago

1. Tell me about your current job
2. Why are you leaving your current job?
3. Why Paccar?
4. Tell me about a problem you solved
5. How would you approach this ___ problem?
6. Why would you be a good fit for this position?

Pretty basic interview questions, no chit chat, they scheduled it for an hour and it took 30 minutes.

They hired somebody internally.

That's literally the only interview I have ever had, my first job was for a family friend and I was recruited after that.

I have applied to about 50 different positions at Boeing, Honeywell, Paccar, Microsoft and have only had the one interview. No idea if my resume is even getting through Taleo filtering.
>>
I was at an assessment day the other day and I was the only on there who wasn't being made redundant. There was this metal head guy in a black shirt and to his ambitions he answered "I'd really like to travel more, I just got back from Amsterdam"

They seemed to like it tho
>>
>>1156548
>There was this metal head guy in a black shirt and to his ambitions he answered "I'd really like to travel more, I just got back from Amsterdam"
What a faggot
>>
>>1152483
>if you want to work for google

if you want to work for google the first step in applying is accepting you wont be hired.

the second step is applying.
third step (if they think you are incredible on paper) is to pull some flat out autistic computational solution out of your ass on the spot multiple times
third step is to actually go there like you said. this is where you network like your life depends on it and make a spectacular impression
fourth step is stay in contact with the guy thats pushing to get you hired

source: my friend applied there and got the job. He doesnt have a CS degree, he taught himself coding in high school, worked as a programmer when he was 18-19, did an internship for a national DoE lab, got B.Sc. degrees in math and physics, and even then they were unsure of him because he didnt have the CS degree.

He ended up not liking it at google and resigning , lol.
>>
>>1152483
And then you see the kind of shit code these places pump out and it makes you wonder why they even bother with that rigmarole.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.