[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should the minimum wage be, and why, in your opinion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 1426510999329.jpg (23KB, 175x327px) Image search: [Google]
1426510999329.jpg
23KB, 175x327px
What should the minimum wage be, and why, in your opinion?
>>
It's sad that degenerate truck drivers make more than nurses or paramedics saving lives or teachers that educate our children, yet all people want to care about is worthless McFastFood faggots getting paid $15/hour.

Minimum wage jobs require no skills and are intended for teenagers and college students to have some beer money. Just because fuck ups like felons or single moms rely on them as a living, doesn't mean the minimum wage should be a livable wage. Just kill yourself if you can't do any better.
>>
Depends on the place.

Here in Alabama it's fine at $7.25
>>
>>1144681
>Minimum wage jobs require no skills and are intended for teenagers and college students to have some beer money

Yeah but something like 75% of minimum wage earners are above 19 these days.
>>
>>1144678
$0
>>
>>1144685

They say that on your meme raise minimum wage campaign websites, but if you look at actual statistics, that is not true.

56% of minimum wage workers are 16-24 years old.
>>
You should be paid on the worth of your work surely.
Why does someone putting products on a shelf in Tesco get £7.25 and hour?
>>
Just implement a job guarantee then abolish minimum wage laws and let people work at whatever wage level they want in the private sector. Private employers couldn't be to exploitive because there would be an alternative to work on public infrastructure projects and such

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_guarantee#Overview
>The JG is based on a buffer stock principle whereby the public sector offers a fixed wage job to anyone willing and able to work thereby establishing and maintaining a buffer stock of employed workers. This buffer stock expands when private sector activity declines, and declines when private sector activity expands, much like today's unemployed buffer stocks.
>The JG thus fulfils an absorption function to minimise the real costs associated with the flux of the private sector. When private sector employment declines, public sector employment will automatically react and increase its payrolls. So in a recession, the increase in public employment will increase net government spending, and stimulate aggregate demand and the economy. Conversely, in a boom, the decline of public sector employment and spending caused by workers leaving their JG jobs for higher paid private sector employment will lessen stimulation, so the JG functions as an automatic stabilizer controlling inflation. The nation always remains fully employed, with a changing mix between private and public sector employment. Since the JG wage is open to everyone, it will functionally become the national minimum wage.
>>
9.75. It should adjust for inflation, but not for gentrification. Gentri is a self defeating problem, not really a bad thing.
>>
>>1144699
>75% of minimum wage earners are above 19 these days.
>56% of minimum wage workers are 16-24 years old
These are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>1144678
w-who is that bear?
>>
>>1144678
nothing
>>
File: web1_panera-fast-lane-001.jpg (41KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
web1_panera-fast-lane-001.jpg
41KB, 640x430px
10-11 is fair. A little overdue. 15 is too much. We will start to see more of pic related if minimum wage is set to high. Fuck labor
>>
>>1144685
that because 75% people should an hero.
>>
>>1145049
True though. Eugenics when?
>>
>>1144678
The minimum wage is always $0.
>>
>>1144814
But one is intentionally misleading
>>
File: 1456110960632.png (240KB, 325x533px) Image search: [Google]
1456110960632.png
240KB, 325x533px
I've since moved, but here have a story
>Be in my country
>Minimum wage does not exist
>Work shitty job for like $5.5/hr
>People start bringing up minimum wage on the TV
>Read up on it
>Get a little worried but sure it will be fine
>Government votes through new minimum wage bringing it up to $8/hr
>Go to work next day
>Sorry anon, we can't afford to have as much staff now
>Get fired
>Have to get money from government support
>It is basically the same as getting $3/hr
>mfw I lost my job, went down in income, stopped contributing to the economy and needed to leech from it instead
>>
>>1144685
Thats a problem with our increasingly bloated useless population. Upping minimum wage is not going to solve, or even help the issue that we have a huge number of people who are happy to smoke weed, play games, drink, and live on the dole while working 20 hours a week at a zero accountability job.

I don't even blame the people. They are just a symptom. Read "INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY AND ITS FUTURE."
>>
>>1145812
And what's wrong with how they're living?
Here's the thing. Everyone isn't going to be a billionaire or a doctor.
Most people will simply be averagage and want to live a happy life.

And let's be honest. Without those people you would be quite fucked.

The real problem is that they are using people like you to push the idea that those people who are needed by society are worthless so that they can treat them like shit and keep them from getting a livable wage or having programs or even places in society created that will give them long healthy lives.

The whole "work your way out of slavery!" lie that's pushed to keep people believing on some level that they don't deserve better and the people who have only slightly more then them believing that they've somehow made it.
The denigration of the worker class is a sick pervasive thing pushed in all portions of society to keep said class poor and believing they deserve it.

Whatever.
Have fun with your false sense of superiority.
>>
$10 an hour is far. That is my opinion because I know economics and like it or not we live in the free market
>>
>>1145853
No we don't.
>>
>>1145855
Nice meme
>>
File: lel.jpg (14KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
14KB, 236x236px
>>1144678
>What should the minimum wage be
could we let the market decide?
>>
>>1144681
If trucks don't move, nothing moves.
Most countries currently have shortages for drivers hence the great pay that some guys get.
>>
>>1144681
Those "degenerate" truck drives work fucking hard. They have deadlines and travel many miles on little sleep. Add to the fact that it is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country. What are you talking about with nurses? The oneS that actual save lives make a lot of money. The low paid ones literally just check blood pressure and give shots. They hardly have to use there brains. And teachers? Educating our children? You must not live in america. Most teacher are handed a curriculum and basically just read off it. Not a hard job by any means.
>>
>>1145869
>freedom is when profit seeking business decides what to pay you
yea real free
>>
>>1145844
Uh oh, did we out a welfare enthusiest?

>What is wrong with the way they live?
Nothing IF they support their lifestyle. If someone wants to work as a line cook, live in an apartment, and spend their disposable income on weed and Playstation I say more power to them.

But that is not what we are talking about. we are talking about some of these independent free thinkers living that anti productive lifestyle on someone else's dime. Whether it's welfare programs or mandatory wage minimums (and it's usually both and more) these animals are living this meaningless existance on money taken from my paycheck and money coerced out of the economy. I don't give a shit how a person chooses to live unless their lifestyle choice is to live off of those of us who work. Not as a "safty net" or a "transition" but an actual fucking choice to be useless.

>And let's be honest. Without those people you would be quite fucked.

Without a bunch of people working meaningless fast food jobs part time I would be fucked? Without their housing beneifts, free community college they never attend but we pay for, without people who ACTUALLY PROVIDE FOR TJEMSELVES having to pay for food stamps and utility benefits and Obama phones?

Funny, it doesn't sound like I would be fucked, it sounds pretty great.

I think you have it backwards. These people would be fucked without me and the others like me who pay for your programs and prop up the inefficiency ridden gibsmedat economy.

Get a job
>>
Minimum wage should be dependent on the states' cost of living. Instead of raising the minimum wage, maybe reduce the payroll taxes required that dearly eats out of each minimum wage paycheck.

>>1144765
I have no idea what this means.
>>
>>1145909
>Instead of raising the minimum wage, maybe reduce the payroll taxes required that dearly eats out of each minimum wage paycheck.

>reduce the payroll tax on poor people

Do you know what payroll tax pays for?
>>
File: 1457414820305.jpg (16KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
1457414820305.jpg
16KB, 236x314px
>>1144765
>filthy utopian keynes socalism
NO
>>
>>1145893
You're warped and I feel bad for you. You seem really passionate about your opinions though.. except they're not really your opinions.
>>
>>1144678
15 CAD
>>
>>1145869
Freedom for corporations is not the same thing as freedom for individuals. individuals cannot be free when they are dependent on corporations to supply them with a livelihood, while the corporations have no really accountability beyond maintaining their bottom line. A completely uncontrolled market would cannabalize itself before equilibrium could be reached
>>
>>1144686
Underrated post desu
>>
$15 and adjusted for inflation and cost of living. As FDR intended you filthy degenerates.
>>
>>1144678
sniff my buthole
>>
>>1146218
Don't tell the libertarians. The only argument raising the minimum wage is from salty faggots mad that poorfags won't be living in abject poverty and that pisses them off because MUH BOOTSTRAPS. $15, chained to inflation and States cost of living in the solution
>>
File: edgar.jpg (40KB, 355x417px) Image search: [Google]
edgar.jpg
40KB, 355x417px
>>1146218
>individuals cannot be free when they are dependent on corporations to supply them with a livelihood
no you're not dependent on corporations. you could sell a product yourself instead. invalid.

>while the corporations have no really accountability beyond maintaining their bottom line
not related to minimum wage. irrelevant.

>A completely uncontrolled market would cannabalize itself before equilibrium could be reached
lol wut?

YOU could start your own business and choose to incorporate, then YOU would be in control of a CORPORATION. hey guess what, anybody could do that. If you had said something about breaking up monopolies then maybe but I have no idea what you're blathering about markets cannibalizing... say no to drugs
>>
>>1144678
No minimum wage enforced by government, but unions have collective bargaining

Although unions allow deadweight to stay forever. Maybe we should abolish unions and have a minimum wage instead?
>>
>>1147161
>>1147161
Good luck starting a company in an unregulated market where there are no checks on monopolization.

Also forget accessible small business loans and government start-up grants, wouldn't want governments corrupting the market with their malevolent interference.
>>
>>1144678
Keep it as is and tie it to inflation.
>>
>>1144765
Agree
>>
>>1145893
I'm really economically conservative but you're out of your fucking mind man, beyond me how you think you could live without the working class of this country
>>
>>1147704
Hell no. Unions > Minimum wage every time, interfering with unions is against the free market.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.