[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Farmers here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: farm generic.jpg (111KB, 485x250px) Image search: [Google]
farm generic.jpg
111KB, 485x250px
Currently have a small beef farming operation, currently have 12 cows on aprox 40 acres of ground....I profit from this by selling the calves from the cows after they reach an approximate weight, the problem is with so few cows my early profits are very slim, I would like to acquire more cows and pasture land but only have around $5k that im able to currently invest which wont go far at all......curious is there are any farm fags here that can give me some tips on how to grow my Ag business into a full time position.
>>
>>1144240
Looks like you have a clear case for a bank loan.
> Borrow money
> Buy cows with money
> Spend some of your increased profits paying off the loan
> Spend the rest on even more cows, save some for land
>>
I've been interested in doing some farming kind of as a sidejob for extra cash, just in my backyard. I'd turn my whole backyard into raised beds; I don't see why more people could be doing such a thing. Not only for money but for the free food. How much of your backyard is just grass or wasted space?

Look into permaculture op. There might be some things you can pull up on cows and crops - like a relationship. Lot's of people who are into the permaculture thing want to make food forests, a forest but with all edible or fruit bearing plants. A forest eventually takes care of itself without needing any outside input. It interests me.
>>
>>1144472
Bank wants like 8% interest.....I need at least 50k to even make a noticeable difference
>>
Really interested in doing this with my family farm, around 300 acres of usable land. It's the upfront costs that kill the idea for me.
>$6,000 for a good truck
>$1,500 for a trailer
>$2,000 for fencing and labor
>$5,000 MINIMUM for some hay rolling equipment
This isn't counting the cows. At least I have a tractor.
Advice? It's good land and I could roll my own hay to feed the cows. The average cost for a bail in my area is $13. The price of cows at the local auctions are at a pretty low point, so that's a good time to buy.
>>
Not op. How do I make money simply out of growing plants and trees? I don't want to take care of animals and feed them.
>>
>>1145310
Grow vegetables in backyard, sell to hipsters at local farmers market.
>>
>>1144240

Get hustling.

Pro tip - look for old people that have bought some acreage that they have built a house on.

A lot of them end up cash poor with lots of spare land.

Ask them if you can rent it for cheap and you will pay them in cash.
>>
>>1144240
My father is a successful farmer, with 2000 finishing hogs and like, 12 beef cattle, but has worked with dairy farms and the such.
His girlfriend also raises free-range meat chickens, to which we have about... i want to say 60 in the summer per slaughter group. She also raises show chickens, horses, and milk/meat goats.
Father also has a trucking business specializing in custom application of liquids (manure, water, things of that sort). That's where he makes a bulk of his money. A farm trucking business is risky, but if you do it right you can make BANK.
OP, maybe consider going into dairy, because tons of dairy farmers in the US are packing up shop leaving just the bigger farms. Not a lot of young people going into farming. Where are you located? Have you considered renting land/barns like >>1145440 said? I know a lot of random stuff on this topic so feel free to ask me.
>>
>>1144901
Do you have anyone that you could go into this project with, such as brothers or cousins? Do you have any family members or close farmers who would rent machinery to you as you start up?
Lots of older farmers love to help younger ones, in my experience. Try looking around at other farms in your area and ask to rent out their equipment while you start up/look if they're willing to sell. Also, if you're not already, Craigslist man. And with the cattle, when beef prices are shit, they basically give them away for free, remember that.
>>
Beef is shit unless you have thousands of cows.

Raise Alpacas for their expensive wool. I think they go for $25/lb.

Raise bees. A single hive makes about 100lb of honey per year and they sell about $5/lb if you sell yourself or you could get $1.50-2.50/lb if you sell to retailers. Start up cost per hive is about $3-500 and annual maintenance cost of $100.

Raise goats and sell to the halal groceries or nice restaurants.You can also make extra money by charging to cut grass on hard to mow places and bring your goats.

Raise a shit ton of chickens within a small space. Sell eggs and meat.
>>
>>1145521
Alpacas are high maintenance fuckers sometimes though, but yeah, around 25USD/lb. Sometimes more depending on the quality.
Also halal goat shit is A+, especially if you live somewhere with a high Muslim population.
>>
>>1145533
>live near high mexican population

how can i profit off this
>>
File: 1434689521588s.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1434689521588s.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>1145956
plant hot peppers amigo
>>
OP here.
>>1144901
If you have that kind of acreage and are able man I would use a portion of the property for collateral to secure a bank loan, and buy some cow's also I think your figures are kinda low and maybe the priorities are a little off you don't need a 6k truck I have a 88 gmc with a hay fork it serves me fine, spend the extra on decent equipment and fencing .
>>1145310
Marijuana
>>1145440
in my area there are a lot of farmers and the old guys have all the farm land leased up already and a lot of them have had he same leases for 10+ years
>>1145521
you must not be located in the US, here beef is still a very profitable business, the last 2 years beef prices were at a record high, they have leveled off some now, I sold 8 calves 2 weeks ago that averaged 446lbs and price avg was $1.74 per lb so after sales commission ect my bring home was like $6,000....which sounds great BUT I bought about 2k worth of hay and from $500 in feed and roughly $300 in vaccination ect not to mention property taxes ect ect... but if I had say 50 calves to sell my profit would be decent
>>
>>1145521
>Raise bees. A single hive makes about 100lb of honey per year and they sell about $5/lb if you sell yourself or you could get $1.50-2.50/lb if you sell to retailers. Start up cost per hive is about $3-500 and annual maintenance cost of $100.

Bees are easy money so long as they don't get veroa mites. If they do, and an inspector finds them, then they'll just torch your hives on the spot, honey and all.
That nearly put my grandmother out of business at one point. She was only left with a few hives because of it.
Fortunately, she was able to get more bees for free by collecting swarms, and still has contacts with local farmers to keep bees on their fields.
Also, if you do keep bees, speak to local farmers about keeping hives on their fields. Higher yields for them, so they'll pay you to keep bees there.
>>
>>1146090

50 cows is still only $25,000, excluding costs. That's barely a livable wage. There's other livestock that gives you more bang for your buck per acreage.
>>
>>1146187
50 would bring home $25k profit...possibly more if I could afford to sit on them longer and feed them a little more my friend sold some the same day as me that averaged $950 per head (around 650lb avg), he I a full timer and is able to spend more time on his and also gets a break on feed buy buying it a truck load at a time.....................whats more profitable per acre in rural USA im open to suggestions also the average wage here is around 18k a yr so...I wouldn't bitch about 25k and be my own boss
>>
>>1145520
I should look into that. My neighbor has been rolling the hay if he gets to keep it. Land stays cleared, he gets way, win win. I could get him to do it for half and fuel costs.

>beef prices are shit
I was planning on buying in low and letting my heard grow without selling for a year or two.
>>
>>1146300
beef prices are decent, still yet cows do still cost 1,100-1,600 each
>>
>>1146240
Goats aren't bad either.
We have about 25 head of cows. Sell the calves and rotate out bulls every so often. Feed is super cheap especially since no one can sell there leftover hay right now. Just keep grinding and slowly build up your farm. Also get into some other stuff if you want, kind of like diversifying. Get some fruit trees, vegetables, row crop, trees, pigs. It just helps to have a few things going for you.
>>
>>1144901
Lease your land. If its good cropland, you can get $100+ per acre per year.
>>
>>1146948
i'll pass on the goats particularly, I would be interested in some row cropping maybe shit to sell at farmers market but then again I don't have a decent tractor or equipment...
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.