[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay so I'm about to finish university with a useless liberal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1442117404639.jpg (41KB, 1111x899px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1442117404639.jpg
41KB, 1111x899px
Okay so I'm about to finish university with a useless liberal arts degree and a mediocre GPA (grad school is probably out of the question at the moment). How do I get into the world of business in my situation? Luckily I'm coming out with zero debt
>>
If in murrika, you'll probably be okish. If in Germany: kill urself, my man.

I do have a PhD in logic with 5,5 years work experience in it consulting and am still looking to find a proper job. I've done a little over 250 applications and had 3 (real) interviews and about 5 phone interviews.
>>
>>1143639
What is logic, is it closer to Computer Science or Philosophy in US terms?
>>
In Germany it's part of phil for historical reasons. Since we believed it to be a brilliant idea to get rid of all the intelligenzija by establishing nazi regime, smart people left. He kept the whole phenomenology/idealism bullshit tier academics, philosophy is still even by today continental. Mathematical logic is quasi non-existent here.

On paper my degree is shit, although what I personally did was math logics for sure. My field is model theory. HR-sluts just see the PhD in philosophy and therefore pass the application to the dustbin. Doesn't help that i wrote about Tarski in my Ba thesis, got into the fast track PhD program and did a PhD thesis about model theory.

Basically, I'm done for.
>>
>>1143639

Just to give you an idea of what I initially planned: I was applying for jobs at banks ranging from analyst to HR positions. I know for a fact that people of various academic background are getting hired in UK and US banks. OF COURSE, this is very different in Germany, as I managed to find out. In Germany this is an ultra-conservative business and consisting of literally 99% business/finance/lawyer-type staff. I never had a chance and believe you me, I did my homework.

For you it could be different. US banks are more open minded, I believe. You could try that.
>>
>>1143698
Time to apply to US companies my friend. How are Merkel's sons treating you over there?
>>
>>1143680
I'm Canadian
>>
>>1143639
there are some college programs that require a liberal arts degree. other than that youd have to get some low tier jobs or continue school.
>>
>>1143986

Can you guys even imagine what it feels like applying in such numbers month after month? Well, I'm at the brink of giving up.

I simply do not know what to do.
>>
>>1144991
So I'm fucked for life?
>>
>>1143680
>>1143687
>>1143698
>>1145366

germany a shit, can confirm that. im a student now but over the course of my 21 years i have easily written over 150 applications for various jobs and apprenticeships so far. dead serious with this. good thing uni was an option for me. god knows what awaits me after graduation.
>>
>>1146236

I hear u. They let us rot there without any slim chance of hope. I honestly don't know what I am going to do. I do not even stand a chance to get a mediocre job here with a doctorate. I mean, guys, think about this: what reason do I have to support any of this any longer? I am literally at the end of my resources and I do not consider backing down. If they don't even let their best educated people stand a chance in the job market, they can go to hell.
>>
>>1146469
yiikes
>>
>>1143639
you have to network you idiot. thats how shit gets done. sure its nice to have a good degree but cold applications dont get you into the positions that shave years off your career
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.