[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /biz/ think of welding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

yo /biz/ so currently I am a neet, its pretty decent but sometimes I get bored and I dont have much extra spending money for vacations and a car and shit.

Currently I have the opportunity to be trained and hired as a welder, it pays really good, like $35k per year. However I absolutely hate manual labor and would not fit in at all with my coworkers. However I would be able to get over that part, the part that worries me the most is the health risks. Welding creates toxic metal fumes that you can inhale which is super bad for your health. I would love the money, but my health is my #1 priority.

Any welders on here? Is it worth it? What other good jobs could I get as a NEET?
>>
>>1142497
Why would you work if you don't have to?
Everyday is a vacation when not working!
>>
>>1142521
I want to buy a sports car and go on cool vacations around the world
>>
Ask for $60-$65000 and do it for a couple of years.
>>
>>1142497
If you hate manual work, welding isn't honestly that bad. You just nee to stay in certain positions and keep a steady hand, but you aren't lifting stuff around. A factory I worked part-time in for cash in college had specific material handlers. Our welders didn't need to lift a finger. They just had the material handlers set up their stuff.
As far as the fumes are concerned, just wear a breathing mask (little white mouth and nose mask that straps around your face) OSHA requires factories to have them available for workers. I didn't even weld and I used to get masks just because I came home with black stuff in my nose (people would call me a pussy too, then brag about how bad their hearing was getting).
>>
>>1142497

Where the fuck is 35k per year "really good"?

Especially not as a welder. After my apprenticeship as a welder I started at 42k. I just turned 20 at that time. Now after 5 years of experience, some specializing and a bit of luck I earn 96k.

You are getting ripped.
>>
>>1142591
its really good for an 18 year old NEET which is what I am
>>
>>1141329>>1142630
A real winner does underwater welding or deep north welding. Free money buster, get that diving certifcation and start your own company.
>>
>>1142497
>making twice that and just think its OK
Come on man
>>
>>1142666
Free money buster is only somewhat true for the two welding niches you mentioned. Both are very demanding, and you can be happy with 30 days of work per year. The plus side is that in those 30 days of work you will be making somewhere between 35k and 60k.

Also certifications are expensive. You need half a year of time and around 20k to start.
>>
Come to Alberta

Whenever oil goes up, you will get a job in under 10 seconds and will drown in money. Just be prepared for inevitable layoffs when the economy dips (like now).
>>
>>1142497

welding is dope. go for it.

Just don't do it forever. Get all your skills down for a few years then start your own welding shop.
>>
>>1142497
>What does /biz/ think of welding?
I think I'd weld my dick to her lips.
>>
>>1143412
> tfw no Lea gf
>>
>>1143098
>Thinks alberta jobs are coming back

Oh dear...
>>
>>1142497
Bamp
>>
File: IMG_2856.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2856.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1142497

Welder here. Pic related. I do cell tower welding and I love it. The pay is good, I travel all over and most people seem to genuinely respect what we do. There are downsides though. I recently broke up with my girl because of the amount that I was gone (not the direct reason, but it created a huge strain in our relationship), living in hotels gets old fast and eating at restaurants every single meal sucks after awhile. But I don't think I'd ever change careers.
>>
>>1142497
Depending on what you have to weld, i used to make custom performance exhaust systems and headers and it was incredibly satisfying, nice cash flow aswell. Once i got my titanium welding down i was pulling 50k making something that sounded like an army of farting angels.
>>
>>1143624
Did you go to school for two years?
>>
>>1143624
>>1143760
>>1143769
how bad is inhaling the fumes and dust? I was thinking I should get a PAPR system but they are very expensive
>>
>>1143880
Yhe metal fumes arent that bad and you won't be breathing in as much as you think, inhaling argon is way shittier. It's way heavier than air so gets stuck at the bottom of your lungs and requires a buddy to punch you in the gut to get that shit out. That's pretty much why you can make a bank welding titanium, otherwise it's a walk in the park once you get a feel for the metal and how much heat is too much.
>>
>>1143769
Nope. I learned from an old timer when I was younger then when I got hired here, they paid for me to get my certs.

>>1143880
I weld on galvanized so It would probably be wise for me to use a respirator if I were in an enclosed space, but being outside it's perfectly fine. I really have never used any breathing apparatus indoors or outdoors and have never had an issue.
>>
>>1142497
Welding is ultimate neet job. If you aren't smart enough for college welding is a good choice.

Seriously, some of the biggest losers I know avoid being homeless by picking up welding.
>>
>>1143947
>college welding
what's that?
>>
>>1143947
Did it ever occur to pole polishers like you that some people don't want to be stuck in an office around bitchy feminists all day? I don't get why the trades are still so denigrated by you kikes.
>>
>>1143953
Punctuation is difficult for the college grad here.
>>
>>1143953
College, welding*

>>1143954
I call it how I see it. Nobody who can become more would choose to weld.
>>
>>1143957
I just assumed you intelligent welders who sacrificed your genius in pursuit of a trade would be able to figure it out for yourselves. No worries billybob, I fixed it.
>>
>>1143964
I don't weld you dumb faggot, any more cute assumptions you want to make with your 3rd grade English skills Tyrone? Not everyone wants to be a sackless cuck stuck in a cubicle making money for some rat nosed kike.
>>
>>1143964
don't feel so special for having a higher education, it's literally the norm :-)
t. doctorate in physics
>>
>>1143972
He's unable to read poster IDs too, any bets he's a humanities degree baller?
>>
Yea welding must be for stupid people when a good welder with a truck can make up to 300 k a year in Alberta. But yea we must be stupid. Man I wish I made better life choices lol
>>
OP here, I am starting training on monday. I am getting $10 an hour which is pretty shitty but I cant complain because I have no experience.

I will be learning Mig and Tig but will not be certified. what should I learn to make the most money? Also do I need certification or is work experience more important?
>>
>>1142497
Having your own small firm is probably the end goal here, but it'll take you at least 10-15 years of experience before you can think of that.

Definitely do more research on the health risks, by asking people OTHER THAN welders.
>>
If you are worried about what you are breathing in then just wear a mask while you weld and use proper ventilation. Best paying out of everything is GTAW (tig). And if you want to work for the bigger companies then yes you need tickets.
>>
>>1144189
>>1143991
elaborate more on working in oil field territory? how much experience do you need?

I dont have a family so I would def be willing to work a job with a shitty location and schedule for good pay
>>
>>1144194
>>1144194
Right now good luck finding a job here in Alberta. Unemployment rate getting higher every month. When I started I just drove cross canada and got hired right away with a drilling company making 28-30 an hour. Shifts were 12 hour days for 14 on 7 off or 20 on 10 off. But it can be different rig to rig. I worked with a guy who worked for 60 days straight. He was a zombie. I made 100k with no experience. I started welding last year and don't really know how much I made till I do my taxes. But I know welders with trucks that have made 300k in a year but to set up a good truck can cost up to 100k. So either work and save up or get a loan.
>>
>>1142497
Bump
Who is she?
>>
>>1144693
lia marie some dumb youtube slut
>>
>>1143964
When the college degree bubble breaks, those welders will have the last laugh.
>>
good thread
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.