[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is economics really that bad of a major? Everyone here seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1449174692676.jpg (74KB, 707x682px) Image search: [Google]
1449174692676.jpg
74KB, 707x682px
Is economics really that bad of a major? Everyone here seems to put it down here, so I want a unbiased answer from ACTUAL econ majors. Is it easy to find a job with a bachelors?or am i wasting my time with this? people who aren't economics majors fuck off or be nice and tell me why you didn't choose economics.

Also I really want to create my own small business, I don't want to be huge just moderate, so is this a good/bad choice?
>>
I have a bachelors in econ it's hard but not too bad. started around 35k and now around 45k a year. I also want to start business. very interesting major.
>>
>>1142369
because for everything you want to do finance or accounting is better.
>>
>>1142385
Good to know, I'm glad you think it's interesting that's what I'm going for. Do you think the major has provided you with skills to start your own business?
>>
Bump

I know we get a lot of these but I want more opinions
>>
econ major here, is you are going to do it make sure to take as many technical classes as possible

econometrics etc

standalone I would say finance/accounting are better for employment

if you are going to get a MBA/MSF I would do undergrad econ
>>
I didn't do econ, because it is a social science. A math/stats minor can do any calculation an econ major can do.

I didn't want to be lectured by idealogues who then harp on how their theories are right, even though they are not provable.

Economics also tries to predict the future. which is fucking impossible, I suggest all econ major read nicholas' taleb's book "black swan"

Also, I couldn't imagine a position where an economics major would be the best person for a job.
>>
>>1142369
Economics is the type of major where you're only going to get as far in life as you can take yourself. It's very interesting and at least at my school you didn't have to take all of the bullshit business classes, but you have to make sure you do something outside of the classroom. Join clubs and try to get some kind of research experience, otherwise you're gonna be shit out of luck when you go looking for a job.
>>
i majored in economics, didnt really learn much but i got good grades. ended up with the job i wanted, but i dont think what i majored in had much to do with it. i should mention i didnt go to university to learn, i went there to get my degree with as high grades as i could.
>>
>>1142595
As far as you can take yourself? Is that not with anything major? I think I'm making the right decision with choosing econ
>>
Econ is great but you absolutely need to supplement it. You need to think of a career path. Analytics is hot right now and only looks to be getting bigger.

I'm an econ grad and doing fairly well for myself. I expect to break $100k/year this year (full time job + a side analysis gig). But I know many econ grads who are not doing so well.

The difference is the dedication to learn AND APPLY supplementary skills. SQL, SAS/R, SQL Server/MySQL, Visualization (tableau, etc).

You just gotta be hungry enough.
>>
>>1142638
Do you have your masters or doctorate?
>>
>>1142369
>people who aren't economics majors fuck off or be nice and tell me why you didn't choose economics.

If you look at the highest paying professions for people with a Bachelors, all of them revolve around applied math in some way.

A lot of economics is just bullshit. When politicians talk about how the pie should be divided up, they trot out an economist. Anyone who is not a naive fool will realize at that point they're about to hear a lot of bullshit.

Look at Arthur Laffer and Paul Krugman. They're just political shills, one for Republicans, one for Democrats.

People who work with math and science are dealing with the world as it is, not wrapping up ideology in economic obscurantism.
>>
econ majors, masters and PhD degrees are the most wellpaying of nearly all majors.
>>
File: 1457662844755.gif (2MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1457662844755.gif
2MB, 250x220px
>>1142575
>nicholas taleb
kek
>>
File: 1447086454888.jpg (87KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1447086454888.jpg
87KB, 720x960px
I majored in econ and graduated last year. I got a job as an analyst in Texas that pays 80k.
If you want to start your own business, econ is an alright choice if you truly have a passion for learning business. Otherwise accounting would be vastly superior in terms of hard skills that go in to starting a business. I mean macro trends and fiscal policy are important things that go in to business decisions but majoring in econ and learning solow growth models and public economics may not be your best use of time. If you really want to go into economics. Double major with finance or accounting or cs. Take as many technical courses in econ (game theory, advanced micro theory, econometrics, finicanial economics) rather than the more social sciences kind (public economics, health economics, behavioral economics) . With that being said, those course I mentioned are still highly theoretical and being able to apply it in the real-world is tough. Just don't want you to suffer from disillusionment. Join a club and honor society and do as many internships as you can.
>>
>>1143369
I'm about to graduate and have a pretty solid resume.

How do I get a job as an analyst? Which skills do they look for? What should I specify on my resume and cover letter?
>>
>>1143376
Experience in the related industry.
Try to go private equity
>>
>>1143376
Forgot to ask. What experience do you have?
You're resume should include quantative results and a desire to learn
>>
>i make significant life decisions based on the advice of an anime image forum
>>
>>1143251
>highest paying professions for people with a Bachelors
http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors?page=2

52k starting / 98.5k mid.

You don't know what your talking about phamilia
>>
>>1143380
Interned at the Fed and have done research and minored in math and have taken econometrics.

How do I fair?
>>
>>1143392
Well, what kind of research? Just one internship?
>>
Friend of mine got an econ degree from a C+/B- university. He graduated a couple years ago and got a job at a tiny company making 24k. I don't know what he makes now but he got a promotion recently so maybe he's at 35/40k?

In either case he has lots of room to move up in the company and has his own office already. He spends most of his day either running some simple reports in excel or some other programming language or just fucking around.

His company was recently bought by a bigger corp so who knows what will happen, tho. However, he didn't seem to have a problem finding a job, and once you have a foot in the door you can get by with a little hustle.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.