[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Precious Metals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (100KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 620x387px
Hey /biz/, I was wondering, if investing in metals is good and which is the best. I'm considering silver and copper since they are affordable and seem good to me.
>>
they're a good hedge if you think the economy is going to crash
but they don't produce anything so they're not really a growth vehicle
>>
>>1137849
no and it never has been.
>>
>>1137873
/thead
>>
>>1137849
Yea, if you are certain QE4 is going to happen, then go for it
>>
File: some guy's silver.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
some guy's silver.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1137849

They're good for when the economy is shitting itself.

Silver is more volatile. During the recession, it went from about 10$ to 40$. Quadrupled in value.

Gold slightly more than doubled in value.

The gold/silver price ratio (the number of ounces of silver it would take to buy one ounce of gold) has varied widely.

Silver is the more affordable. Uses more space than the same value in gold though, i.e not as good a volume to value ratio.

Copper is shit. Volume-to-value ratio is no good.

Sorry, Peter Schiff and Meme Maloney are right; fiat money is a joke. Glorified Monopoly money. The next crash will be worse than 01 and 08 combined. The past 100 years has been buying shit in the moment, putting off payment generation after generation, and even now if it was paid, it would be paid in paper money that's not worth anything because it's not backed by gold.

Nations are repatriating their gold for a reason. China is buying tons of gold for a reason, likely to introduce their own gold-backed currency to replace the dollar when it finally shits the bed.

But this is crazy talk, the economy is fine, buy stocks, etc so on whatever. Fuck it.
>>
>>1137849
If you insist on investing in metals, actually invest in precious metals. You will *not* get rich, at best you'll ride inflation (unless you get a situation like what happened in 2009-2011 where there was a lot of noise in the market because of people buying because "OOGABOOGA KING NIGGER OBUMMER GONNA HYPERINFLATE MOENY AND ANUSES PANIC GO TO GOLDLINE!!!")

Silver is a good place to start, and I personally would recommend buying junk coinage. Premiums are lower and they're as recognized as modern government minted bullion.

Gold is fine as well, if you have the extra cash to put into it. Again, buying either older coinage (Mexican pesos have the lowest premium on the market at this moment) or larger items (10ozt bars) will save your premiums.

Platinum is a strange duck because of all that aformentioned noise in the market. Normally it outprices gold by a good bit, but for the past 3-4 years, it's been at parity or somewhere lower, price wise. Due to it's actual scarcity though, you'll find premiums will be much higher than gold or silver.

Palladium isn't worth it. High premiums, smaller market, fewer mints.

And anyone says rhodium will be shot on sight.

Finally, don't buy copper or any other non-precious metal. I sell kilogram copper bars on eBay. I get them through Alibaba by the metric ton, 2 tons at a time. Costs me $3200 per ton, but they come pre-finished, .99941 purity, just need to be through my rolling mill to emboss my logos and the purity marks. Each one is sold (depending on the "mark" I put on it) for $15-$25 a bar. Again, it's (at today's spot close) $4.48 in metal. It's not worth your money to "invest" in it.
>>
if by investing you mean investing long term then it's good, every month you buy yourself 3-10 ounces of silver, ten years down the road you've accumulated a considerable amount.
>>
>>1138641
That's pretty smart, what made you think of the copper? Are you just using a hydraulic press?
>>
>>1138891
I was seeing "copper bullion" appearing on eBay and even on actual bullion sales sites like APMEX and JM Bullion and figured it couldn't be that hard. I make jewelry as a hobby and copper is stupidly easy to work with.

I'm not using a hydraulic press, I'm using an adjustable 4 ton rolling mill. It's basically a set of rollers that compresses the bar slightly. The top roller has my mark and a "logo" embossed on it so when the bar rolls through the mill, it's marked. This is the same way that professional mints mark their extruded bars (or used to, I know a number use laser etching now.) I already had the mill, just needed to get the rollers, which ran me about $3k since they were a custom job.
>>
>>1138641

>junk silver has low premiums

Where? Everywhere I see it, it's 3 or 5 dollars over spot. The only cheap ones are 40% Kennedy half dollars..
>>
File: Stack.png (578KB, 512x677px) Image search: [Google]
Stack.png
578KB, 512x677px
>>1139410
Where are you looking? Online, waste of time (alternately, what's wrong with 40% Kennedy's?) Go to your local coin shops, Craigslist, eBay. Alternately, you can hit your bank and get it for "free" if you hunt enough rolls. Pic related, my post from earlier this week. Bought $50 in half-dollars, came up with a full face roll of 40%'ers.
>>
What's the best way to buy gold and silver? Should I just browse online until I find a reasonable price?
>>
>>1139749
- Buy PHYSICAL gold/silver from programs offered by banks/companies that deals with buying/selling gold/silver bullions/coins. Lots of them offer service selling them via online, and later you can collect your bullions/coins from one of the branches. Some of them offer service of keeping the gold/silver with them, with little or no charge at all.

- Never buy gold/silver on paper/certificate. Some fraudulent merchant offers gold/silver on paper/certificate, and then run in the middle of the night. I'd stay away even from banks that sells on paper.

- Don't buy gold in form of jewelry, unless you're really using them. Selling back will depreciate the price terribly. Even banks that sell bullions will have it depreciate if the plastic seal container had been opened. And anything bent/broken will depreciate it even further. Some jewelry cheats by selling jewelry of 995 purity with some 916 purity parts at price of 995 purity.
>>
>>1139749
yea, listen to -->>1139918

apmex.com is a great place to start,

i would just buying as many gold coins as you can afford,

get the gold american eagle coins

imo everyone should have at least 15% of their net worth in precious metals
>>
>>1139605

People don't like 40% as much because they're clad and less known, and less silver by volume..

I look on mainstream dealer like Provident and JMB. I'll try CL and others next, thx.
>>
>>1141538
I hope by "people" you mean the ignorant, which you don't seem to be. Silver is silver. War Nicks and clad Kennedys are as good as any other silver coin since it's a known quantity. Throw it on a scale and you know what you have. It kills me when I see folks buying secondary market rounds because the mark claims 3 9's and they have no idea how easy it is to fake a bar.

Hell, I do jewelry and make my own bars. I could take a poured loaf bar (like those that Monarch makes,) melt it, take a small bit out and replace it with lead and antimony, and re-pour and restrike it with 3 9's on it, and they wouldn't know the difference because the weight is virtually the same AND they don't know to test it. It looks right, it weighs the right amount, but it's only .900. You can't do that with a coin.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.