[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

App Development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: harvard.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
harvard.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or on /g/, but I plan to monetize so...

I have an idea for an app, and after many hours in photoshop I have drawn up essentially what I want the app to look like. Also, I have written what is basically a manual on all the app functions, like what button press does what, etc. with a corresponding image for each step. Without going into too much detail, it's an app that will involve posting on social networks.

My dilemma is that I have no programming experience. Is there a service available where I can essentially send everything I have to a developer (preferably under the terms of some kind of agreement where the developer can't use my idea as his own) and get a quote on how much it will cost to develop this app?

I'm looking to eventually monetize with ads after a period of ad-free availability.
>>
yeah im not sure specifically where you go, but i hear people in india do this kind of shit all the time. youd have to ask someone else about what the website is called.
>>
I'm an Android developer. If you're serious and willing to pay money and/or give some shares you can talk to me. I've built 12 apps so far, currently working foir a digital agency as a freelancer. If your project makes sense I can do it all (from a PSD) even including backend (if needed).

Send an email with your address to here, I'll talk you tomorrow:

[email protected]
>>
>>1131118
Then learn to program you lazy faggot.
>>
File: 2014.png (83KB, 969x877px) Image search: [Google]
2014.png
83KB, 969x877px
>>1131118
>I have an idea for an app

In terms of worth, the idea for an app is worth 1%. The work of it is worth 99%.

> preferably under the terms of some kind of agreement where the developer can't use my idea as his own

Not that it's unusual, but you're completely deluded that your idea is so valuable, that good iOS/Android programmers give a shit enough about it to rip it off. Your priorities are way out of wack. Your ratio of worrying that you can get get it implemented properly for an affordable amount of money to worrying that you tell some developer and he rips off your "great idea" should be like one billion to one.

Attached is a pic of a percentage of what I made on apps in 2014 (I should attach a 2015 pic - although it is less money - because I did very little work on my own apps in 2015).

My advice is to forget about it, especially if you imagine you can make money out of it.

Right now I'm writing an app that almost certainly will make money if I ever finish it. It's an app that lets people put wallpapers on their phones - cute kittens, the night sky, a beach, whatever. This is a better idea than whatever your idea is. It is going to be a bitch to implement though since I want near-equivalency to the best ones out there right now. I have to do a database schema, then set up the database, then do a Python based API to serve JSON from the database. I also have to gather the data, figure out licenses etc., right now I'm writing a Python script to pull files from one source and insert the data into the database. Which itself will take some time. That isn't even getting to the client side - writing the app itself.

The point is it's a hell of a lot of work, for an app which will probably take me months to write version 1. Which I then will have to spend money getting translated, and do ads for. If I'm lucky it will make hundreds a month eventually, maybe even over $1000 a month. I would charge minimum $20k to do this for someone else.
>>
>>1131334
I never suggested that anybody ripping me off was my biggest concern, nor did I even mention whether or not I was worried about implementing it.

>>1131235
Is Java the best place to start?
>>
>>1131334
That app already exists, in fact there must be dozens like that. Are you sure you can make money with that? I'm asking for real, I'm not sure if a copycat app can make money
>>
>>1132228
App developer here.

Don't start with Java. Only Android uses Java
and iOS users are more likely to pay for apps so you'd probably do better targeting iOS.

If you want to really maximize your gains though, then I'd suggest making the app hybrid using something like PhoneGap so you could write it once and run it on either device. You will get a performance hit, but if it's not that bad unless you're doing lots of processing on the phone ( pro tip don't do this even if you do have a native app ). Oh and you will need JavaScript+HTML for this.

You mentioned interfacing with social networks so you will need understand network calls, REST APIs, security token handling, and if you're doing any information keeping you will need to know how to setup and configure servers.

I know you think your drawings and specifications are 90% of the work, but it's really not. It's barely a scratch on the amount of work you have remaining.
>>
>>1132284
>PhoneGap

nah

Even Xamarin is crap. And we thought we'd spare time with it but in reality you almost always end up for separate projects with the same logic anyway.

Simply too big differences between the platforms.

Better just build an Android app and then hire an IOS dev who can just copy it.

Also learning Java is a valuable skill itself due to its high usage in backend systems, so you have nothing to lose. On the other hand learning Objective-C or Swift is good for nothing else but IOS development at the moment.
>>
>>1131118
Listen to me and listen to me good. This is coming from someone who paid somebody to make an application for me.

They did a great job with it down to the T, but it ultimately failed. It wasn't the marketing portion of it either, because I spent a mint on that too.

It's just that the failure rate for applications is very very high. The chances of you having a return on your investment is very very slim.

If you are going this route you'd save yourself more time and money by just learning to program it.
>>
>>1132348
>>1132284
>>1131334

i am looking to pay someone to make an app for me that takes input from a scanner radio (police dispatch, etc.) and sends that audio to the Watson API speech to text and outputs that text live to the phone. How much is this going to take and how worried should i be about someone taking my idea?
>>
>>1132360
thanks for the idea CHUMP. Heheh

just kidding I don't fucking know that
>>
>>1131118
No there is no such service. If your idea is really good there is nothing to really prevent somebody from stealing it, espetially if the country where your developer is in is not friendly to IP laws. The best course of action for you OP, is to work with someone you personally know, can trust, AND have a legal agreement with.
>>
>>1132360
also it seems i'm having trouble with watson understanding what is said over the radio, is there a more powerful speech to text API than even watson?
>>
>>1132386
watson has about 40% rate of word prediction for each word which is useless right now
>>
>>1132360
>>1132386

Your biggest problem is that you will be needing to pay $$ to get a service to transcribe audio for you on the fly like that. As with any business you need upfront capital.
>>
>>1132398
i have the credentials now, i just need to know that it works first. "First thousand minutes per month are FREE. Additional minutes are $0.02 per minute" -from the site. Should i make this subscription based or make it free for everyone but put make ad money?
>>
>>1132375
>>1131118

Wisdom within the startup community is that you really shouldn't worry about anyone stealing your idea. Because:

1. If it is obviously good then there are already others who have discovered the market niche

2. if it isn't obvious, nobody will believe in it but you

Also you are really approaching this the wrong way. What you want is not ideas but market insight.

Your idea is very likely bullshit which appears to be good to you only because your personal bubble of reality has certain discrepancies in it's knowledge of the relevant markets. You are most likely wasting time.

If you want to setup a business the way to do it is as follows:
1. Pick an industry you are knowledgeable about
2. Get experience in said industry by working in it
3. Figure out **sound** ways in which the industry might be improved
4. Build a business around that

Of course it takes time and lots of effort but few people have attained wealth without working hard and those few were simply lucky.
>>
File: 1265074536352.jpg (142KB, 511x634px) Image search: [Google]
1265074536352.jpg
142KB, 511x634px
lol. Some "business man" that has an "idea" but no actual skills to produce anything. Fuck off and die.
>>
>>1132437
at least we try, most people are obese and die short misrible lives working for walmart or not trying at all
>>
>>1132437
This is 99% of the startup community mat. I wish I was joking. They're all substance and no content at all.

Long gong the era when tech startups were all smart motivated STEM people. Now its all assholes in suits, wall street/mafia money, and more money than ideas and actual creativity.

More people make a living on shit like coaching, organizing conferences, "pitches", investors talks and other crap like that than actual valuable startups with a valuable product.

OP just lacks the connection and sociopathy, but this is literally 99% of startup founders nowadays.
>>
File: Upwork.png (32KB, 985x463px) Image search: [Google]
Upwork.png
32KB, 985x463px
>>1131123
>>1132284
These are true, I thought my sketches were good until my developer told me the errors that were in it and what was actually possible.

Just save up 5k and post an ad saying the most you will pay is 3k, then go from there till you find a cheap/good developer.

This is coming from a guy paying an Indian 5k to make me a website/android & iOS app.
>>
File: Capture.png (280KB, 1430x774px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
280KB, 1430x774px
>>1132827

Oh and heads up, you will/should have to fill one of these requirement sheets out so you can't ask for your money back when they make exactly what you ask for and you made a mistake.

My guy is cool tho so he's letting me edit a ton of shit I thought was cool until I realized it wasn't.

If they don't make you fill one of these things out, it's a scam or you're dealing with a noob that doesn't know
>>
>>1131334
>reverse search this image
>it's been posted before
>>
>>1132386
Watson/IBM will fuck you over in fees
>>
>>1132247
>That app already exists, in fact there must be dozens like that. Are you sure you can make money with that? I'm asking for real, I'm not sure if a copycat app can make money

Yes, it can and will.

Some copycat apps probably can't make money - flashlight apps, sudoku etc. Some can, for the moment any how. And for someone like me who knows how to program and to some extent how to market.
>>
>>1132946
>>reverse search this image
>>it's been posted before

Yes. I posted it before. It's not even a 2015 picture it's a 2014 picture, as I said.
>>
>>1131118
so you did everything but start making an app. way too go you fucking retard
>>
>>1131118
Neil pls, just call me.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.