[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

precious metals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: SBAR_10_OZ_SUNSN-01-popup.jpg (239KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SBAR_10_OZ_SUNSN-01-popup.jpg
239KB, 1000x1000px
Stay liquid or buy bars?

I was recently gifted a 1 ounce silver round, I've never invested in anything but it is cool to own something that is inherently valuable. I'm thinking about buying a few more ounces, would this be a fools errand?
>>
it's speculative for sure, but that doesn't make it automatically foolish

I would put max 5-10% of your portfolio as silver though
>>
long term I personally think you will beat inflation and i've always been partial to having actual control of my money.

I would say to be conservative, about 30% of my portfolio is physical precious metals.
>>
>>1130839

>few more ounces
>~$50

I'm sure you'll be fine regardless of what you decide.
>>
File: Stack.png (578KB, 512x677px) Image search: [Google]
Stack.png
578KB, 512x677px
>>1130839
Don't bother with bars or rounds. Cheapest way is junk (coin) silver. Very low premiums, known valuation, and (if you're patient,) can be had for "free" if you search enough rolls.

Pic related, my "strike" this past friday. $50 in coins turned up $10 face in 1965-1970 40% half dollars. $10 in "cost," $46 in silver, with the remaining $40 going right back into the bank. I can't think of any premium that beats free.
>>
>>1131017
What did you do, buy a bunch if coins from the bank?
>>
>>1131108
Posting from my phone. That's exactly right. Went to my local branch and asked if they had halves. Withdrew $50, went through them and bam, silver. Smaller branches without coin counters are best.
>>
>>1131630
Fuck ya. Sweet, gonna do that Friday
>>
>>1130839
There is literally no reason to put your money into precious metals over oil. Try to prove me wrong. You literally fucking can't.
>>
>>1131017
I'm just a dumbass but I thought they stopped making silver coins after 1964.

>be me
>be taking spare change jar to coinstar.
>be putting money into coinstar.
>Coinstar counting and shit.
>Coinstar finishes, spits out a dime.
>Put dime back in coinstar.
>Coinstar spits out the dime again.
>WTF?
>Look at dime. It looks whiter/silvery than other dimes I had.
>Take it home, look up coin on internet.
>FUCKING silver dime made in 1963.
>Coinstar doesn't accept certain weights of coins so it kept kicking back the silver dime!
>Hooray for me!
>>
>>1132972
You're not a dumbass, most folks don't know the history of US coinage. All US coins, $0.10 and above were 90% silver until 1964. Only the half-dollar remained silver (at a reduced 40% content) until 1970. The Eisenhower dollar had some limited special mintages from 1971 to 1976 in 40% as well, but those were in portfolios and you'll never find one at a bank.

Another one that folks don't get is the "War Nickel." During WWII, nickel was in short supply as it was a metal used as an alloy in building armor for tanks, so the US Mint exchanged nickel for silver in the minting of the coins. "War Nickels" are 35% silver and actually have the highest silver-to-face ratio of any coin. You can identify them without having to look at the date, because they have a bigass mint mark above Monticello on the reverse of the coin.
>>
>>1132886
oil is peaking too fast, also silver is useful as currency if everything goes to shit

just ordered 5k worth of rounds, now is a really good time to buy
>>
>>1134297
Yikes. You're betting against the market my friend. JPM is doing 90 day shorts right now. As long as you're going very, VERY long, shouldn't be an issue though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.