[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so much AI hype on the news /biz/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (132KB, 735x1179px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 735x1179px
Literally everyday i read an article on the business news about how AI automation will be so amazing, cut costs, increase productivity and will revolutionise the economy.

If people don't have jobs because of AI automation how are the fuck are they going to buy all the consumer shit to contribute to the economy?

>inb4 work hard and practice your firm handshake because an AI bot could be made to do that better than you
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
>>
>>1127288
Kek

Its never going to work

Holy shit

are these commies actually serious??
>>
Investors like to hear that a company is working on new things.
>>
>>1127291
Either it works, or there are violent uprisings like never seen before.

Within 50 years, a large portion of the human race will no longer be employable.
>>
>>1127278
>Literally everyday i read an article on the business news about how AI automation will be so amazing, cut costs, increase productivity and will revolutionise the economy.

These things move in spurts. In the 1970s microcomputers came out. Then that craziness died down. In the 1990s the Internet came out. Then that craziness died down. Right now mobile and machine learning are going gangbusters. That will die down.

Next - self-driving cars, drones, Internet of things, augmented/virtual reality, who knows?

AI goes the same way. It makes an advance, there is a lot of excitement, then it dies down and an AI winter starts. Then another advance is made and the cycle continues...
>>
>>1128288

Sooner or later they will be able to automatize everything. Before that there will be shitloads of angry and poor people, that have no realistic possibility to get a job.
>>
>>1128288
Except none of those things you mention had the capability to potentially replace humans all together. I was an early 90's tech kid.

I mean.. just look at this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

AI and robotics is a game changer. This time is different, grandpa.
>>
>>1128304
There are already shitloads of angry and poor people

Just go to the local McDonald's or Walmart
>>
It's been going on for decades. The same retards who thinks autonomous trucks will replace drivers are the same that believed auto-pilot would replace pilots. It's very much the same in what it can actually do. Drivers will still be needed. Same with manufacturing. Sure all the niggers lost their jobs to robots, but higher paying jobs maintaining them were created. The only people that lose are the niggers and women with no skills but who cares about them anyways because I will put them in the gas chamber when I become President in 20 years.
>>
>>1128307
we will be dead before the cost of building bipedal intelligent AI robots is low enough to replace most of us with any sort of significant skill . as for the unskilled plebs, and future generations, yes they are totally fucked
>>
>>1128880
Robots aren't always cost effective in manufacturing. It's often cheaper to hire a bunch of unskilled people to perform certain tasks than to create a complicated machine that does the same actions, but much more expensively.
>>
>>1127396
exactly
>>
I think of 2 futures and we might have to do both

1) School needs an overhaul and I am speaking for my Country as well, look at Star Trek Utopia, whenever they mention school environment, they make it more than clear than their education is way ahead of our, ideally all members of the star fleet are like engineers but not the guy who can build an house because he learnt how, no, rather the guy who knows how to build everything because he/she has learnt how to keep learning and how to see the forest over the tree.

2) Some people will have to be given a basic income, or fund more iniatives to build oversea and send them with it.
>>
>>1130462
2 words, economy of scale.
Also PR and Hygiene, there is a machine now that can manifacture hamburgers, we are talking about cooking, packaging, no human element means no asshole that will spit on it because you hurt his feelings.
There are already those things you can use to order at Mc Donald, which means no queque along smelly bums and yelling brats.
>>
AI is already replacing accountants, paralegals, managers, and doctors.

Also realistic sexbots when?
>>
>>1127291
>it will never work
That is exactly the same shit people were saying of planes before they were invented.
>>
File: 1457327493539.jpg (307KB, 630x647px) Image search: [Google]
1457327493539.jpg
307KB, 630x647px
>>1127278
It's because timetravelling robots coming back through the blockchain are shilling ETH to bootstrap their own existence.
>>
File: 1445414234803.png (61KB, 480x434px) Image search: [Google]
1445414234803.png
61KB, 480x434px
>>1131503
^cuz they run on ETHEREUM.... SKYNET/MATRIX RUNS ON ETHEREUM!
>>
>>1128888
If by we you mean anyone born in the early 80's I agree.

Computers that used to cost over $1000 and be considered top notch gaming machines were the size of a large suitcase. Now machines with that same capability fit on a single board the size of a credit card for under $35 and use 1/10th or less electricity to run. All within the span of 15 years or so.

>>1130462
For now. Think of it on an annual basis. Pay some unskilled min wage worker to pack boxes all day for $18,000/yr or buy a robot and replace them for $30,000. That robot can run 24/7 (basically replacing three jobs/shifts), performs perfectly, is never late, never steals, never complains, never needs a break aside from maintenance, can't sue you, doesn't need healthcare, you don't need to pay taxes on their wages etc etc. Take that a step further; AI forklifts, self driving trucks. You could run a whole factory/production process end to end that would have normally taken 100+ people with 4-5 to oversee it all.
>>
>>1131535
cost of robot, cost of maintenance and such will always always always outweigh that of a human, i can guarantee this
>>
>>1131558
I work in a production facility and I can guarantee you that you're wrong. The machines that bottle and package what we make are incredible. We have maintenance staff that handle breakdowns of equipment but the cost is negligible compared to the speed, accuracy and overall output of the various equipment.

This same facility used to employ over 1,400 people. It now employs around 200.
>>
>>1131563
those arent bipedal androids anon.

there a lot of things machine cant handle, or where utilizing machines would be a greater hassle.

in the end, if the consumer doesnt have any money they wont buy whatever product youre making, unless youre doing international business.
>>
>>1131567
>those arent bipedal androids anon.
Correct. It's a matter of when, not if. I'm not sure if you've ever worked in a large scale manufacturing environment, but there's very little that cannot be automated.

Our company doesn't care about where consumers get their money. That's probably something governments or central banks will need to tackle going forward. Yes our goods are sold internationally. We're an OEM manufacturer.
>>
>>1131574
past our lifetimes probably
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.