[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi fags, what can an undergraduate degree from Harvard afford

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: Harvard_Wreath_Logo_12.png (537KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Harvard_Wreath_Logo_12.png
537KB, 1600x1600px
Hi fags, what can an undergraduate degree from Harvard afford me? I know that it's prestigious, but is it prestigious enough that I'm basically guaranteed citizenship in the USA (after employment and shit)?
>>
No. H1b work visas are drawn randomly through a lottery, doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or University of North Dakota. You can slightly improve your chances if you are a STEM major though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJCHoEDNgs
>>
>>1119177
this, a harvard degree opens up many connections and opportunities however that you can't ge outside of top 10 schools
>>
>>1119487
Not going to help you to get a visa or citizenship though
>>
>>1119177
Why this system? It doesn't really make sense, does it? Wouldn't a country want more of its citizens to be 'smart' (troublesome word, but let's take it as those who go to Ivy Leagues) instead of any old Tom Dick and Harry?
>>
>>1119641
I am in the process of trying to obtain a work visa. I have masters degree from a top 10 program in which I graduated in the top 10% of the class, a gmat of 740 and a job lined up. Yet my chances are probably less than 50% to get work visa after my first year.

Congress won't pass any laws on immigration without a comprehensive immigration reform which won't happen in the near future. It looks like America doesn't even want any well educated immigrants these days.
>>
>>1119487
This is bullshit. I have some of the best connections in the business and they are all from working my ass off at internships.

Do you even work in finance kek?
>>
>>1119809
Why not work in your own country? No jobs?
>>
>>1119826
I am from a western European country so its not bad back there but I like the US a lot more and I would earn a ton more over here.
>>
>>1119824
just because you got connections from internships doesnt mean other people didnt get them cause they happened to go to harvard/other ivy lol

way to project your subjective experience on everyone retard. everyone whose head isnt up his own ass knows top schools = easy/more opportunities for connections and networking
>>
>>1119832
Fuck off we're full
>>
>>1120024
back to /b/, faggot
>>
>>1119824
what part of finance do you work in?
>>
>>1120018
The only people who think that are retards who make excuses for not having a job out of school.

>>1120090
I'm a Jr investment analyst with a major in finance and minor in macroeconomics from a fucking shit school in alaska. I found employment 1 week after graduating. My employer takes care of me too. Got paid to get my JIA cert and just started a management program with my firm.

I'm just tired of losers on /biz/ trying to discourage people because they couldn't compete with their peers.
>>
>>1119487
How would you know?
Fuck off with your Ivy dick wagon
>>
>>1120105
and i'm a hedge fund analyst after going through analyst/associate levels at a major bank even though i didnt do any internships because one of my profs used to work at the bank and he just put in a referral. see it goes both ways.
>>
>>1120125
Seems weird to go make switch after being an associate at a BB. How common is that?
>>
>>1120137
fairly common. analyst to associate was a pretty straightforward progression and i was associate for <6 mos before hopping over to HF. associate to VP takes like ~2 years and it's still a lot of shitty hours, plus you're sitting with a lot of insufferable MBAs who are worse than analysts
>>
>>1120145
Isn't A to A somewhat rare at BBs?
I always thought that people who get offered and stay want to be bankers.
>>
>>1120125
What's your point? Your professor worked at a bank so you got hired on a referral. Doesn't prove you need an ivy league education to get anywhere. Hell, doesn't even prove that's the common outcome kek.

Shit, I could meet someone on an airplane who offers me a job. Doesn't mean flying on a plane is a fucking requirement for networking.
>>
>>1120162
depends. i wont say its the most common progression but its far from unheard of. and yea there are a lot of people aspiring to be career bankers but people change their minds and shit, esp when they realize life as an associate is not that much cushier.

i was honestly never super committed either way i think i just got a promo offer cause i was, to brag a little, pretty fucking competent at my job/helping everything run smoothly so they just wanted me to stay around. i never actively sought a move to the buyside but then some HFs came knocking with much better offers so yeah.
>>
>>1120167
my point is just because your subjective/personal experience indicates that ivy league isn't necessary (who the fuck says it is?) it doesn't mean ivy leagues dont make life a lot easier if this is the path you want to take. to deny that is absurd. just like you say my experience isnt the most common, neither is yours, and honestly, mine is a lot more common than yours
>>
>>1120173
No I get what you're saying, and I agree that my shit was subjective but I'm just making the point that not having an ivy league education means you have to struggle. Maybe I misunderstood your original point. I just see people spout this ivy league shit on here like it's some sort of requirement for networking and building career connections. Internships and being likeable go a long way.
>>
>>1120168
I did an internship at a HF for a while and I am about to take the research route after graduation. Gonna start a job in the endowment management at a reputable university.

Also doing CFA and hopefully finishing it in 18months.

How fucked am I if I want to end up at a HF or other proper buy-side firm?
>>
>>1120186
Can you do the 3 Levels b2b? I'm doing Level 1 on June so I'm interested in finishing this ASAP.
>>
>>1120200
I did L1 in December. L2 and L3 are only done in June.
>>
>>1120185
nigga you're on /biz/ most people are are unemployed/in community college/state schools memeing about le finance. who gives a shit what people pretending to be from ivies think?

also i didnt go to an ivy but it was an "equivalent" as far as wall street networking is concerned.

>>1120186
how did you like the internship/how did the firm like you?

endowment management is essentially a buyside job, though maybe a bit less glamorous/exciting than "traditional" buyside. people can transition well if you're at a reputable university with a sizable portfolio, but you'll want to make an extra effort to go out and network with "proper' HF guys to build connections, since they come less organically than if you worked at a HF. HF guy stalk to each other ALL the time, try to get in to those conversations, even if it's just a coffee with a couple guys here and then or a group dinner organized by a broker.

When you say research, do you mean you'll be contributing directly towards investment decision, or is it more peripheral research?
>>
>>1120036
no seriously, fuck off. we are at full capacity.

the job market is insanely competitive as it is and gen x is larger than the baby boomers in terms of population by almost 2x. too many fucking people. we need a god damn culling if anything
>>
>>1120211
Yeah you're right bro. Sometimes I forget we are still on 4chan.
>>
>>1120211
They loved me but it was a tiny fund and they recently closed down.

Portfolio is definitely sizable (close to $5bn) but my role will mostly be evaluating current and new managers. This should give me great contacts, but I realize that it's not the same as security research. I will be attending all the strategic meetings though and travel to meet with fund managers.

GMAT and GPA are top notch. Working on CFA, not sure how relevant all this is though.

Thanks for your answers btw
>>
>>1120224
keep in touch with the guys at the fund then, assuming some of the guys there are still staying in buyside.

to be honest i don't think CFA is -that- helpful to elevate your status if you already work in finance. my experience has shown that CFA is super important for:
1. people who lateral into finance from industry, to prove they know basic financial concepts;
2. sell-side analysts, just to slap a credential on the report's front page next to their name. also some overlap with 1.

don't get me wrong it's not a detriment by any means, but i don't think a CFA alone carries much cachet for people trying to move "upmarket" within finance and get to a HF. GPA and GMAT always helpful, but again, since you're already in industry, you are assumed to have baseline competence and it's more about just finding people who enjoy working with you and think you can add value.

it's helpful if you're genuinely interested in investing/stock markets, which doesn't actually describe me.

when you say
>my role is evaluating current and new managers
do you mean asset allocation to funds/indexes/etc. as opposed to specific security analysis?
>>
>>1120236
>do you mean asset allocation to funds/indexes/etc. as opposed to specific security analysis?
Yes, we are basically a fund of funds. We do not invest in single securities ourselves. There is an overall strategy that might change depending on our macro views, but we get our exposure through investments in funds, PE shops, etc.

Pro: I will be meeting a ton of managers, who could potentially employ me one day.

Con: My skills will not be exactly be very applicable to most buy-side jobs.

I did not want to do banking initially and got recruited for research fairly early which I am sometimes not sure about how smart it was. But I still hope to transition after 2 years without an MBA.
>>
>>1120262
MBA is like CFA, you don't/shouldn't need it to transition.

keep in touch with managers and do some personal investing/reading of stocks in your free time. ask to speak with actual analysts/PMs as part of your job, instead of limiting yourself to the BD/sales guys who are there to sell you on their fund, and try to engage in interesting/memorable conversations with them on their investment methodologies and such. HF guys love to talk about how they invest and they'll probably be happy to be part of a "sales" process now and then since it can be a "fun" part of the job, and are probably amenable to some networking.
>>
>>1120274
Thanks, mate.

I know that networking will be key. I have been told that my firm will let me meet with managers. I imagine the hard will be to get myself involved in the meetings and make the managers remember me.
>>
File: YmgvrY2.jpg (587KB, 1000x1489px) Image search: [Google]
YmgvrY2.jpg
587KB, 1000x1489px
>>1120218
>we need a god damn culling if anything
Yeah maybe of NEETS such as yourself.
Also why do you regard the job market as one thing? It's not like as if it's going to really be difficult for me to find a doctors position at a hospital if there is a shortage of doctors? It's not like as if my chances in that regard are going to be significantly hurt if all the burger flipping positions are out.
Hurr durr unemployment is up 20%
>15% are NEETS and confused art majors
Guess what faggot, how about you read the fuck up on what you think of saying before you say it, because atm you sound dumb af.
>>
>>1120167
Flying on a plane is actually really good for networking. People who fly on planes have stuff to do, so they are good people to meet.
>>
>>1120976
Lel retard gl on the visa, firms literally filter out OOS and internationals. Columbia literally tells its MBA students to put if they are a US citizen on their resumes
>>
>>1120218
You do realize that perhaps this phenomenon is being observed in most, if not all, of the global cities right now? I'm assuming that's what you meant, because I don't suppose you were referring to the "insanely competitive" job market in a rural town somewhere.

It is just the way it is.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.