[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: maga.jpg (58KB, 696x561px) Image search: [Google]
maga.jpg
58KB, 696x561px
/ biz/ I'm stuck at a standstill. 18 and need to pick a major. My original plan was civil engineering since I love math and physics. But after browsing /biz/ for some time, would finance be a better option?

Which one is better in terms of job availability & salary?

pic unrelated
>>
>>1112245
you'll do it for the rest of your life. Pick what you prefer to do. World will always need civil engineers to build bridges and shit. Safe pick.

But if you wish to life fast and die young, finance might be better.
>>
>>1112253
I love bridges and roads and the whole aspect of civ engineering, but a lot of posts here have said this field is dying , not hirjng and paying shitty

Is it just trolls or is this true?
>>
Get a degree in psychology. You'll have a salary of $200k starting in no time.
>>
>>1112264
Doesn't matter. Be the one that gets hired.
>>
>>1112245

Stick to civil engineering. You'll do well and be fine.
>>
>>1112245
what uni m8? im at psu currently in biotech & econ
>>
>>1112245
Don't do it for the money, do it for the love. Besides, business minded engineers always get promoted to management and make the same amount as those wall street bankers without working 80 hours a week.
>>
>>1112264
Oh and what idiot thinks that civil engineering is dying? Hell, there is an increase in demand right now thanks to all the buildings built in the 60s-70s reaching the ends of their lifespans. The world will survive without banker but it will grind to a halt without someone to maintain infrastructure.
>>
>>1112245
Engineering IMO, if it's what you wanted to do in the first place then go for it. Don't go into finance just because /biz/ tells you to, I guarantee less than five percent of this board majored in finance. Study what interests you and you can always make a change after the first year if you don't like it.
>>
>>1112285
got some money from merit scholarships to got to ub , so most likely going there
>>
Do something like Mathematics & (business related field) you will BTFO all the business majors.

Currently doing Mathematics & Economics and I just got an full time offer for 65K, even though my GPA is kinda bad (3.1).

I'll be in the family business though.
>>
Depends on your school and aptitude. Engineering is a safer bet and you have more tangible skills if you want to start a business. Finance is cut throat and unless you're in the top 15 schools, it's going to be a rough ride. Plus, all the classes in shit school are cookie cutter and a waste of time. You would be better off studying engineering and trying to get a masters in financial economics with that route if you decide you want to do finance later on.
>>
>>1112245
>>1112253
Also, with any engineering degree, you can make the move to management or, if you work for a larger company, they might do professional internal rotations and switch into finance if your heart desires
>>
>>1112264
world will always need engineers man. I'd say as long as you avoid petro*, you'll have job security.

*i think kids who specialize their bs are dumb. a MechE can do virtually any specialized job with on-site training (civil, aerospace, petro, etc.)
>>
>>1112245
I hope you read this.

Do civil engineering, or, if you want do a double degree of civil engineering and of finance/business/commerce.

The reason being is that banks ALWAYS hire engineers in to quantitative roles and sometimes in to managing type kinda roles because they are good at math, good critical thinking, good at analyzing a situation etc, oppose to finance guy that did minimal math.

I have friends that are engineers that work for investment banks in a variety of roles and I'm a 2nd year in engineering planning in going in to finance, and if I don't I will stay in engineering
>>
>>1112245
This was in Norway, but a major semi-government company I was talking to said that these days they really wanted people with engineering background who also had finance (or even economics) background. That this specific education /background was in demand.
But as everyone I have talked to said, do what you love then you can always move and change within that sector. You like engineering, do it, if you want to do more finance stuff, you can move that way after some time with more experience.
Or just (semi) double major I'm both.
>>
>>1112245
>Pick mechanical engineering
>Go into military civil
>Get out after commitment with PE
>be able to engineer anything
>>
>tfw went engineering
>now furloughed after two years of working and no prospects
i feel like I made a wrong choice.
>>
>>1114395
What industry do you work in?
>>
>>1114936
Oil & Gas. What's left of it. And petrochemicals pretty much took a nose-dive / doesn't need people since an abundance of engineers happened due to all of the layoffs. Chem Eng degree.
>>
File: eyeroll.jpg (25KB, 345x194px) Image search: [Google]
eyeroll.jpg
25KB, 345x194px
>>1112264
>civil engineering is dying

>>1114112
This.
t. ME doing aerospace work
>>
>>1115644
The petroleum industry is probably going to take a decade to recover at least. Prices are going to be depressed for years. I should know, I'm in Canada and we're getting absolutely fucked by this downturn.
>>
>>1115786
well wtf am I supposed to do, m80? Get a CS master's and join the tech bubble?
>>
>>1115791
Assuming your American, it depends on where you're willing to live, what skills you have, what your academic record is like. Try to avoid going back to grad school unless there's a absolutely nothing else available to you.
>>
>>1112245
Get the engineering degree. Then get an MBA.

Next step? Path to CEO.
>>
>>1115796
Yep, 'murrica. Houston, TX right now. But, only two years of experience so...
>skills
ahahahahahaha.
>>
>>1115837
AYE IM IN HOUSTON MANGE.

You in KTX? Also I am in your field. Work at some offshore drill sites as a safety engineer. Pretty well paying and cushy desu senpai.

If you have 2+ years of Petro. Eng EXP then you can probably get into my company at the entry level (not offshore sadly).
>>
>>1115847
Lol, yea, katy. Sadly I have -zero- petro experience. Safety would be neat, I found that shit interesting as far as plants go but here I am. Glad to hear you're still kickin' it though, man. H-town is the best.
>>
>>1112245
>Which one is better in terms of job availability & salary?
depends on your area or where you want to live
>>
>>1112264
>a lot of posts here have said this field is dying
dude as long as we continue to build structures there will always be a need for civil engineers.
>>
If you're good at Maths there is literally no reason to do anything other than an Engineering or Computer Science major, simple as that. If you want a near guaranteed job and the best grad salaries out that's where you want to be

If you genuinely like finance or economics which some (fucked up self-hating) people do then by all means go for it, but the pay/employment opportunities are less and the maths isn't intensive at all which reflects pay
>>
>>1113970
>I'll be in the family business though
>>
>>1115889
yea boy, i got a masters though from UT, did my undergrad at A&M in chemE

Basically got this gig through connections. Are you involved with the houston SPE? Basically I was in the right place at the right time.

Drop an email if you want to talk. I recommend using SPE to find more tight knit societies. And volunteer. Met the vice president of some big H town oil at a habitat for humanity event, which got me into this tight knit invite only society. Spent about 200$ on a 4 dinners or so.

If you ever get into H-town oil my name is Rob. Drop a biz meme
>>
>>1115938
>on a 4 dinners
>on 4 dinners or so
>>
>>1112245
Stick to what you like. Finance is a great "hobby" like reading history might be a hobby but reading about finance is more applicable to your everyday life and helps you understand why things work like they do and helps you get a stronger political opinion etc.
>>
>>1112245
Is Finance better? You seriously have been swayed by the autists on this board claiming they are successful traders?
>>
>>1115938
aight senpai. I'll check out local SPE's. fug.
>>
Thanks for all the responses everyone, General engineering degree seems like the way to go
>>
>>1112245
Why pay for a finance degree? Why not just learn finance? I majored in computer science but I love finance so I learned it in my spare time. I want to make money not spend it.
>>
What's a good minor to go with a Mathematics degree?
>>
>>1116183
Economics
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.