[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I manage money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: HvPGdl.jpg (51KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
HvPGdl.jpg
51KB, 512x640px
I just got a software dev internship position that pays a nice 53 grand a year. That's a big raise over my current ~10 grand a year I get from working my part-time warehouse job.
Problem is, I don't know what to do with that extra cash. Can anyone link me to a good resource or recommend books on how to save for a newb like me?
>>
Is it worth putting money into a mutual fund?
>>
>>1111616
buy ethereum

>>1111623
no
>>
buy ethereum with your tf2 hats
buy tf2 hats with your ethereum
pump your hats
dump your ethereum
>>
>>1111616
Find out from your employer who provides your 401k. Contact your 401k provider and talk to a rep about starting to contribute. You can start contributing as little as you like but as much as $18k a year towards your own retirement. This money receives preferential tax treatment too. A traditional 401k treats your contributions as tax deductions, meaning you don't pay taxes on that money that year (you pay it when you withdraw). A Roth 401k (if available) taxes the income normally but when you withdraw at retirement all the gains are tax free.

The one trick with 401ks is you can't remove the money until you are 59.5 years old (without penalties [some exceptions apply]). You -should- contribute regularly and get in the habit of contributing as much as possible. Right now you know how to live on 10k, why not just budget 18k a year to your retirement and learn to live on the remaining 35k? With a 401k your money is usually managed for you in a series of funds so you don't have to worry about learning to invest. Your returns may not be as great as someone managing their own portfolio, but you get the preferential tax treatment which is huge and all evidence suggests that if you don't panic and gut your 401k before retirement for some reason you should retire MUCH richer than you started.
>>
>>1111616

Put your money in a GE Capital account while you figure your shit out. 1.05% no commitment interest right now. If you have 30k in the bank, that's nearly $30 a month. That's your water bill right there, or at least a good piece of it.
>>
just buy ETH bro
>>
Buy that ETH dip
>>
>>1111616
You should build up an emergency fund if you don't have one and pay off any loans you have.
>>
>>1112143
Ethan Allen Interiors inc?
>>
File: 1445011588487.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1445011588487.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>1112335
I have no debt as I managed to pay off school with my wage + scholarships. I live at home so there is a large safety net. I may just save around 30% of each paycheck for such a fund. Thanks
>>
File: 1445454209419.jpg (69KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1445454209419.jpg
69KB, 450x450px
>>1111930
Ok, so If I do 18 every year, I'll have like 40x18000 to retire on, plus government money? Sounds pretty amazing desu
>>
>>1112371
more than that, you should also look into a mutual fund or a roth ira. This is just basic financial stuff. Also index funds usually pay off long-term
>>
>>1112400
Are there any websites or books that can teach me "basic financial stuff"?
>>
>>1112495
"Basic Financial Stuff" isn't like a checklist. It's just an ever growing body of knowledge which it pays to be familiar with. I would just focus on building your rainy day fund, building your retirement account, and then if you still want to do more from there you can look up the basics of buying and selling stocks and bonds. Invest in companies you know something about and can take an educated stab at whether they will be profitable or not. If you already own a car, pay your own bills, buy your own groceries, etc then you probably already know more than you think about how various companies are doing and what their future looks like.
>>
>>1111616

Here's all you need to know:

Cocaine: If your gums immediately get numb when you rub the coke on them, it's good coke.

Prostitutes: Go through an agency, get verified. Once you find one you like just deal with her privately and call her up a couple times a month.

I hope this helps.
>>
>>1112335
This is good advice. Save something like $5k for emergencies, then start investing without touching your emergency fund.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.