[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job interview: suit or no suit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: black man in suit.jpg (18KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
black man in suit.jpg
18KB, 400x600px
I have these discussions with my friends. They all say that suit is not necessary anymore.
I say that it definitely helps getting you the job, especially when you're highly educated and applying for some corporate job.

Opinions? Do you wear a suit?
>>
>>1107604
yea wear a suit
>>
>>1107604
Depends on corporate culture.
Wearing a suit while applying for a Software Enginner or a programmer to Google is probably a bad idea. While wearing a suit when applying to companies with more serious atmosphere is really important.
>>
>>1107604
They might ask you why do you wear the suit and they might tell you you're a big guy
>>
a suit is not necessary if you are 100% confident in your abilities. But if you are not, then be more humble and wear a suit.
>>
>>1107731

could i say that it would be very painful if they took off my suit?
>>
>>1107734
yeah it's a matter of showing that you fit in the company m8. If I have to hire someone, I would never take the one that doesn't show up in a suit/I would have prejudice against him.

Wearing a suit shows that you're willing to adapt, shows that you want to come over a s a good person and that you had some form of good preparation/education.
>>
Always depends. If you're applying to be a software engineer or for a blue collar job, wearing a suit will make you look ridiculous.
>>
>>1107750
yeah it's mostly about white collar jobs in sales/consulting/banking
>>
>>1107604
What job is it?
>>
>>1107768
see >>1107760
>>
>>1107604
its hard to be wrong showing up to an interview in a suit, its so much better to be overdressed than underdressed

make a joke about it if you are really fucking overdressed and you'll come across great, suck your interviewers cock a little bit too
>>
>>1107604

being overdressed is as bad as being underdressed.

research the company and figure out how people dress on the job, and dress like that.
>>
Financial industry = wear a suit.
>>
>>1107746
Yeah, to show that you're a slave bound to any order your superiors will say
>>
>>1107604
Suit is default assuming your talking office or corporate you have to be one special mother fucker to get away with anything else. Even if it is a start up unless stated wear a suit if in doubt ask
>>
>>1107923
I disagree. I would never penalize someone for coming in with a suit and tie. If I'm worried about them being a stiff corporate type, that'll come through in the interview. Being well dressed means that the candidate put effort in to meeting with me. One exception is if the candidate is currently employed and came directly fron their workplace; then I wouldnt care what they're wearing.
>>
>>1107604
Do your research, wear something similar. Then wear what you feel comfortable and comfortable in.
>>
Most places you shouldnt. Just need a nice shirt, tie and slacks. Over dressing is worse than under dressing
>>
Dress shirt, dress pants is pretty much the go-to when unsure.

Wear a tie or first button loose (whatever looks better).
>>
>>1108009
>literally the opposite of true.
You must live in California.
>>
>>1107604
Always. I suppose if you don't want the job or want to work with unprofessional hipsters don't. It's respecting their time and the company to show up well dressed.

I have gotten 2 jobs where I was told during the interview that it wasn't necessary. Both companies went under within 2 years. Both were full of people working max 3 hours a day, getting drunk at lunch, and fighting hard against any change that hurt their sit around picking lint out of their balls time.

The best education you can get in the working world is working for a shit company. I actually make sure I clear that up when I interview now. If people aren't working at least most of time, I'm not wasting my time. That applies from the janitor to the CEO. Interviewed today in a shirt and tie in fact. Probably gonna get it. Project leader position. Look up that salary range and tell me I'm the one doing it wrong. I dare you.
>>
>>1107691
>>1107734
>>1107746
>>1107750
>>1107760
>>1107923
>>1107934
>>1107976
>>1107985
>>1108009
>>1108105
Goddamn, good information in my /biz/? What is this world coming to!?

As a hiring manager for the second largest cable company in the US, I agree with all of them. Look up the company, look at the culture, look at the product they're pushing. Dress to the highest level that would be appropriate. If you're going to a Big 4 firm, you'll want to wear your best suit, clean and freshly pressed/starched shirt, nice tie and polished shoes. If you're going to McDicks, clean jeans and a nice t-shirt would work. If I'm doing interviews for a call-center rep, I expect to see someone in a shirt and tie, but a jacket would be a bit much. If I'm interviewing a guy who's applying for a field tech slot, I expect a clean polo or button-down. If I'm interviewing a supervisory or management candidate, I expect a shirt and jacket at least. Tailor (pun intended) your outfit to the interview.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.