[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bog/ - Business owner general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 9

File: 1455246903381.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1455246903381.gif
2MB, 640x480px
Small, startup, big, struggling, profitable etc.
Doesn't matter. If you own a business of any kind, you're welcome.

Self-employed trades, marketing/advertising, questions, nightmare stories, and related success stories.

Question of the thread: What is your end goal, and why?
>>
I'll post my own story for now.
I've worked and finally found a supplier for a product. My current plan is to buy it, slap my own brand on it, and sell it for a higher price.
I've made the site, bought the domain, done all the graphical work, negotiated rates, made some people spread the word for free, and so on.
Everything is in place already. Literally all that remains is:
>Registering the business officially
>Launch site (1 click away)
>Launch ad campaigns and find out what sticks.

So I'm pretty excited to be honest. The budget is pretty low for what it is, so if it fails I'll just stand here with some experience and a set back for a bit economically.
>>
>need general liability insurance for security company
>ok
>get it
>$1700, Not bad at all ok
>1 month passes and no invoice
>suddenly mailed invoice
>Payable on mail date or something like that otherwise you get 2% interest
>uhh thanks

The fuck man.
>>
I sell collectibles online and at conventions. My end goal is to fund an action figure made in the US. Because A) I'm tired of everybody making the same 10 toys over and over and over and B) I'm tired of everybody crying about not being able to do anything in the US.
>>
any tips on making a good selling business?
>>
>>1100201
Ask me in 3 months and I'll hopefully be able to tell you.
>>
>>1100216
type your email or something
>>
Simple.... Find a need and fill it....
>>
File: workaholic6.jpg (601KB, 2434x2592px) Image search: [Google]
workaholic6.jpg
601KB, 2434x2592px
Any suggestions for traffic redirection/SEO?
Virtual service prepared. Website online. Business registered. Traffic required.
>>
My end goal is to build up then sell. I want to travel. But there is no way I could worry free if I had somebody manage it.
>>
how to learn writing sales letters?
>>
>>1100218
[email protected] from now on
Hit me up at some point,

>>1101439
Pretty interesting goal, albeit controversial. A decent amount of entrepreneurs say that built to sell is built to fail, since the 'passion' to do a lot of work isn't there. Some people sell their companies because they feel they have reached the end of the road of what they want to/ can do, and want to pass off the torch.
I don't agree with the entire 'passion' thing, but hey.

What about hiring someone else to manage it scares you?

>>1101452
As in, how to write letters meant to make people buy?
>>
>>1101458
Yeah, i think the proper euphemism people are using is "converting" haha
>>
>>1101499
Look into copywriting,
It's the 101 of sales.
>>
>>1100452
SEO is a huge game of cat-and-mouse, and even the era of "content marketing" has reached a sort of twilight due to sheer saturation in 75% of search terms. There is always a play to be made for the long tail terms, e.g. you can be on page two for "cheap groceries" and make up for it by ranking high in all of the "cheap groceries [city name]" or whatever is appropriate for your business.

But for most online businesses, be they transactional or subscription, that have a discernable target audience, I would advise and spend 5x the time/effort on traditional marketing efforts (email marketing and ads) as you do on SEO or social media. Don't avoid the latter, but don't focus on it at the expense of more bread-and-butter ways of getting customers. Kind of hard to recommend specifics without knowing some of what you do.

Exceptions:
1. You are already an "influencer" in your space, or know people who are. It's such an annoying buzzword, but it's a well-known one for a reason.
2. You are just some affiliate-marketing-based sales/discount site, in which case I have no experience with such operations.
>>
>Realised literally most of the skills I've been developing over the past 7 years relate in some way to ecommerce
>Marketing, copywriting, programming, photography, graphic design, etc
>Only just realised that and now putting my site together

I'm in a niche targeting just my country now with physical goods relatively popular with a large subsection of females. Going to launch as soon as I finish securing good suppliers, any anecdotes about growing pains/the grind/how long it really took people to ramp up their online business? I already know a lot of the how around successful ad campaigns etc, I just wanna hear stories that aren't hyped up Youtube shit.
>>
I want to start a side business. Something Internet-related, since I'm a programmer and it's cheap to get started.

How important is the idea?
>>
I run a small mowing and gardening business.
My end game goal is to have enough business to keep be busy full-time. Because I'm fit and do a good job, I make "fast easy" money, but just can't get enough work.
I don't have anywhere near the work required to afford to move out. My business is growing, albeit slowly.
I advertise through friends/socially, gumtree (aussie craigslist), pamphlet drops. I get a lot of odd jobs through referals too. I've built up a customer base of 10, but am really struggling to grow more. What do /biz/?
I know I do a better job than most of my competitors and at a better rate, but my adverts just are not working.

I'm young, inexperienced and have no ideo how to progress with this venture.
>>
Just finished filing article of incorporation. Hope to be up and running within 2 months. I'd like to get to the point where money is no object but desu if I can make more than my day job I'll be pretty fucking happy.
>>
File: IMG_20160220_072823.jpg (37KB, 536x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_072823.jpg
37KB, 536x437px
>>1099715
I build furniture and cabinetry. Itself mostly local, and I advertise (mostly for free) using facebook.

Just getting into the swing of ecommerce, and so far it's scaling up okay-ish.

As for an end goal, I guess, old me would say, "I'm there." All I ever really wanted was a way to pay the bills without punching a timeclock and making money for some other asshole.

However, new me wants to continue scaling up, hire people, treat them good: (beer at 3:00, leave when you finish the days tasks, come and go as you like provided the weeks work gets done on schedule, etc). At this point, I'm aiming at becoming one of those 'millionaires next door' that works hard and treats people good. I've got a long road still and a lot of work to do, but I love not sitting in a cubicle.

>Pic of Etsy store sales for February. Most of my business is still local through facebook.
>>
>>1102315
Expand your area of operation, and what you do.
>>
>>1102315
I used work at a large homr and garden chain. They had a portion of their biz that catered to high end gardens and one off events that clients wanted nice flowers and plants at.

If yout gardening skills are top notch, you may try to directly sell your services to people with no or small gardens in high end neighborhoods and offer garden setups and then extended maint, end of season wintering and new season prep, etc... you get the idea

Basicly you might explore the groundskeeper nitch over the mowing side
>>
Why isn't this thread more popular..? Is there a better forum for small business banter somewhere, because I'm not into daytrading, cryptos, or college major talk?
>>
>>1102823
this
>>
File: 1455246571716.gif (2MB, 636x258px) Image search: [Google]
1455246571716.gif
2MB, 636x258px
>>1102305
Depends on what you mean with idea.
Duolingo language could be "Online language courses", which a pretty meh idea since a lot exists.
"Online free and organised (i.e. gameified) language learning, where we earn money by translating the web" however is an amazing idea.

>>1102348
Atta boy

>>1102437
You have actual customers, that' a huge first step.
I am actually interested, got any pictures of what you sell? I won't be able to buy any (EU)
Seems like you also have a comfortable job at your own business, which is good.
I hope you the best, and that you will some day have people working for you.

>>1102315
What's your current bottleneck?
Work from there.

>>1102823
>>1102842
Because actual business owners on /biz/ are borderline nonexistant.
/biz/ has never really had any golden age, yet, or a larger core community. Most people just drop by from other boards (/r9k/, /g/, /b/, /v/) and make the typical threads like "How to millionaire?", "Work from home easily?", "Best major?"

I'm doing my best at the moment to help anyone where I think I can.
Once my own business starts to get going I'll post about it here as well.
>>
>>1102855
Somehow my ID changed, interesting. I'm VKKWpVEi
>>
> Running our Family business
> Small but well off country in Europe (5mil)
> 5 retails shops and webshop
> Starting wholesale and agenture (not sure what it's called but helping other companies in the same industry to manufacture products)
> Revenue about 1.5mil
>Profit 200k
>Estimated profit for next year 300k

I'll gladly answer any questions
>>
>>1102867
For how long has the business been running?
How / why did it start?
>>
>>1102868
Father came to country some times in the late 80's
He was dirt poor and came into a golden age for said country. Got rich fast but spent as fast. Now have a few 1-2mil in assets which is not that much considering he could be a 10s of mills if he had invested. He worked hard but was also just very lucky to come here at the right time.

This particular business started in 1994 but he had a business before that
>>
>>1102876
So what's the business itself?
>>
>>1101504
how do I actually get started in this?
>>
>>1102919
You can use this as the 101 and getting the general idea.
https://www.quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-copywriting/
>>
>>1102924
>https://www.quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-copywriting/
how much experience should one get before offering services for pay?
>>
>>1102929
I can not answer that, sorry.
If I were to approach it that way, i would try making some examples, perhaps of already existing products, and then freelance yourself with them as a 'portfolio'. Then as people pay you, you work for them. Build up portfolio and experience.

I would also say study other angles in sales, so you don't entirely rely on an article online.
>>
>>1102888
Clothing, mainstream fashion for 13-26yo
>>
Anyone got tips on small budget/guerilla marketing tactics for reaching 20-50 year old working people?
>>
>>1103033
Facebook gives you most bang for your buck than almost any other marketing channel. This is assuming you are selling your product on the web
>>
>>1102940
Interesting.
Why does selling clothing / your own brand of clothing seem to be so popular?
A lot of the people I talk with who start up business sell clothing and establish their own brand.
Is it the reappearing customers and high margins?

I do not know too much about the clothing industry, since I have kept my head in a others.
>>
Hey guys, I have a question since I'm very new to the whole business thing but really want to move up.

I'm thinking about opening a lingerie store at a small location nearby. I was just wondering if there would be any legal issues to what I was planning so here is the q:

>open store
>buy lingerie from websites online
>sell bought lingerie in store for double what it's worth
>profit

Would I get in trouble for buying from an online store and selling it in my store? Sorry if this is a really stupid question but like I said I really know nothing about this stuff.

Any other things I should be aware of in doing this? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1103141
If the product is targetted at final consumers you cannot re-sell them. You have to get them from a supplier, at least where i live.
If the product is the same your clients will probaly find the cheaper option online since they were looking for it in the first place.
>>
>>1103153
Ah ok, that definitely answered my question. Thank you very much.

I'll be doing some research on google to find lingerie suppliers but would you happen to know where to look for suppliers? I would imagine it works by buying certain things in bulk from them and just selling it through my store right?

Would I also be able to find out an online store's supplier through their site?
>>
>>1103162
Usually suppliers demand some info on your business to know if you are legit or not. You don't have to buy in a huge bulk since they sell to smaller companies too.
>Would I also be able to find out an online store's supplier through their site?
Probably not.
>>
>>1103048
^

I agree. I've had a lot of success with fb, and word of mouth can spread fast. Also, their boosted post ads can be very effective.
>>
File: IMG_20160220_155118.jpg (225KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_155118.jpg
225KB, 1280x960px
>>1102855
>Seems like you also have a comfortable job at your own business

Took a while to get here. I mostly do tables and cabinets etc. Rustic reclaimed wood stuff.

Best of luck to you as well, bro!
>>
>>1103166
Hey man, seriously, thank you for your help. I'm looking around and finding some possibly good places to start.
>>
>>1103184
You are welcome, but please make sure you research a lot before opening a business.
Knowing everything before starting makes the future much easier.
>>
Just started my own waterproofing business.

I worked in the field I'm in for about 10 years when late last year I had a family emergency and had to move to a different state. Tired of working for someone else and thought I could do better so decided to start my own company.

Things are slow right now but I'm excited about the future. I've met with a few potential long-term commercial clients and every month there should be a few public jobs I can bid on that would keep me busy for a few months at a time.

Otherwise I think I'm ready to go. Registered my business. My work doesn't require special licensing. Insurance was the worst aspect so far. $6000 a year that has to be paid up front. Website is up. Biz cards and brochures for potential clients.
>>
>>1102315
I can help you find big jobs anon. What city are you from?

*You have to be insured, be paying your taxes, etc. With a lot of clients, you won't be able to work for them unless you have their minimum insurance requirements.
>>
Any tips on getting distributors to buy your product? Do you charge them up front and then they pay you when it sells, or do you just sell it to them and let them mark it up however they want?

I created an OEM replacement part that I would like to market.
>>
File: Nice Shower Seat.png (388KB, 602x439px) Image search: [Google]
Nice Shower Seat.png
388KB, 602x439px
>>1099715

> Own a small tile business
> Right now it's just me
> On a good week I can make $2k
> On a bad week nothing

I'm 4 months in. It's been pretty good considering what some small business owners go through. I'm 100% glad I have done sales before. If you are a business owner and have not done sales then IDK how you would ever make it.

> end goal
to regularly make $2k a week, and never work more than 30 hours a week. That's the dream. I don't care about being rich. I could expand, franchise, etc... but in the end, if you can have a roof over your head and not have to get off your ass more than 25 hours a week or so, then life is good in my opinion.
>>
>>1102315

My biggest to gets have been social media and flyers.

I try to drop 100 flyer a week. Hit up neighborhoods you know are in need.

NextDoor is HUGE. I have gotten 60% of my business from Nextdoor. It is a fucking goldmine. If you get some chatty cathy in a neighborhood to love you, then you get the whole neighborhood.
>>
>>1102437

good luck nigger.

men like you are rare.

90% of business owners look at employees like farm equipment.
>>
>>1103427
Set a suggested retail price of 100% more than you sell to distributors for. And collect up front. Don't wait to get paid after it sells.
>>
>>1103442
Thanks bruv. Currently in customer facing sales, I know that in B2B it is considered rude to be "constantly closing", other than that I have no idea what to do/say.
>>
Just went through the hell of applying for a business ID in my country. Now, we wait. It takes quite a while to be approved / denied.
After it's approved, I can start importing my wares.

>>1103173
Looks nice, I can see why people buy it.

>>1103432
Sales is vital, I agree, but I would also say that you can study the topic yourself before starting one up.
Experience is invaluable, though.
>>
>>1103440
Thanks bro! I've actually seen you on here before and screencapped your advice. I was going to try and do a weekly /smallbiz gen/ using a lot of your advice in the op, but the interest level on the board wouldn't keep the thread bumped.

For any dudes lurking, this bro's contribution are GOLD, because no customers=no business. Promote, promote, promote. Take note!
>>
>>1099905
Do you really think theres a strong market for action figures...?
>>
>>1099715
What do you guys thing about learning a trade(leather work, blacksmith) and start a business with it?
Even though i have no experience with it. I want to learn a skill and make a business with it.
>>
>>1104476
That's what i did, although i did get a few years of sales experience (recruiter) before learning to build cabinets and furniture on YouTube.

If you can learn fast and sell adequately you can pull it off bro.
>>
>>1104476
I'll add, there's a market for most trades, but still do your homework and find buyers before you spend any money; additionally, aim for something you like or love, because the first year can be brutal learning the ropes on your own. If you can say, "if I was a millionaire, I'd just do this for fun", and there's an actual market, you're ahead of the game.
>>
>>1103432
I should have added earlier. Your tile work is on fucking point, dude. That looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1103432
nice goal m8
>>
22 year old still in college going for an electrical engineering degree at a shitty college so I don't even know if I'll get a job after this.

My end result it to start a business pefereably using my future trade but will not discriminate against type of trade/work as long as I make efficient profit.

I really need help, could anyone advise any types of books that helped anyone or anything. Could you share some of your experiences with creating yourself and how you built a business of nothing. I'm completely serious and have always been hard working and motivated but lack any business direction due to my upbringing
>>
File: sciencememe.jpg (55KB, 480x283px) Image search: [Google]
sciencememe.jpg
55KB, 480x283px
19, currently IT consultant for small businesses, as well as running a part time energy business with Ambit. I am trying to break into building a profitable laboratory structure as i am currently studying physics and want to work with robotics. Anyone have any experience they can share with making profitable private laboratories?
>>
>>1104476
I would suggest working for someone first and learning the trade. Learn the techniques and tools used. Make note of how they run their business and areas they could use improvement. Learn how they acquire their customers and when the time is right, amicably quit to start your own business and use what you've learned to do things how you want to.
>>
>>1104654
This day and age, if a degree is required, that's it. For electrical engineering, I can't see a prospective employer caring if you went to community college or a state university. Just the fact that you graduated and are young, is enough to get your foot in the door to any company.
>>
>>1104770
Thanks buddy I'm also going to take your advice you said to the other guy about learning off someone higher up and then copying him
>>
>>1099715
>end goal
Amass a crew of about 10-15 technicians and dominate the field within about 100 mile radius
>why
A mix of because I can and to prove my dad wrong.

Revenue is likely to at least double this year. The work that is slated to be completed by April equals last year in its entirety. Mostly due to referrals.
>>
>>1104809
nice goal mang. go get em!
>>
>>1104010
>>1104639
>>1104640

thx

Got some jobs booked this week. Hopefully I'll report back here soon with mad money.
>>
>>1099715
>>1099715
Love the idea of a general. /biz/ is sorely lacking in this area. Will start bumping with materials I can find.
>>
>>1099715
I run a small little LLC operation while still in university on the east coast of the U.S.

I pay sales tax monthly, but it's my understanding that for any income or other gains that my LLC isn't taxed, but the money is when it's paid out in salary or equity withdrawal.

Does that sound about right? Do you need state specifics? My operation is so small I'd never dream of being audited in a million years. I've searched online for answers a little and want to be compliant for the fun/learning experience and wanted hear what biz had to say.
>>
>>1104058
Have you ever been to /co/ or /tg/? There is a very strong market for high quality action figures when it comes to adults.
>>
Just starting my own concrete diamond grinding and polishing business in dallas. I'll make concrete floors look like the floor in the home depot. My equipment will also be able to prep concrete floors for other types of flooring (epixy, hardwood, tile etc..)

I'm currently in the process of buying all the equipment. Really excited, but scared at the same time.

Any advice for aquiring businesses as clients?
>>
>>1104995
Start with aggressive pricing and build a reputation on good work and the attitude of getting the job done at any cost. Act like you care about the quality of the product and meeting the clients needs. I picked up a decent client after putting in a 32 hour day. Try different avenues of marketing. Join groups like HBA if they have members that you want to associate with. Drop business cards all over. Build a website. Web presence has been a huge help for my company (low volt electrical). A good 20-30% comes from there. Shit like angies list and home advisor are over priced and give you shit clients. All I can think of off the top of my head.

Also don't be scared of failure. Most fail in 3 years. It happens to the best of us and means nothing about you personally. Tough it out for that long and you'll have succeeded in a way.
>>
>>1104995
Also, search for all local contractors. Solicit their business. Ask if you can be added to the list of subs when the send the request for quotes. The company I wanted to work with the most had no standards for being added to the list.
>>
>>1104995

A brother in arms.

Just focus on getting your first couple jobs right. Really try to nail the job.

The money will follow.
>>
File: CoverFromInternet0.jpg (17KB, 260x396px) Image search: [Google]
CoverFromInternet0.jpg
17KB, 260x396px
>>1099715
Great reading material for business owners. 7 habits is also a decently effective book for Ceos.
>>
Currently own a custom woodworking business, making $300K/year. Have huge profit margins, but need to expand.

I guess my end goal is to go from 1 warehouse to about 8 units at least and pull in 1M+ annual profits. The biggest problem is finding labor. Our standard of quality is extremely high, so it's almost impossible to find skilled people who don't have their own business.
>>
>>1099715
Could add some links in the general posts. Suggested reading, services, blogs, and etc.

We use this site for hosting and website building. http://www.homestead.com/
Wife built our site in roughly 4-5 hours and it looks decent enough.

http://www.vistaprint.com/ their basic level cards are shit so step up to at least the mid level. Or buck up and pay a local company. Likely to cost near double though.

If you buy QuickBooks, do not buy directly from them. Amazon it pretty cheap in comparison.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01326JFB8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456119164&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65
>>
>>1105077
Similar issue in our industry. Best advice is start them fairly green and babysit them. Pays dividends if you treat them well enough. The obvious alternative is pay the premium for experience. Any chance of outsourcing any portion of the work? Automation?
>>
Just went through 2 months of back and forth to finish the process of selling my bakery to someone who wants to be in the industry (essentially a competitor that hasn't moved to my geographic area yet).

The initial offer was more than I thought it would be, but after hammering everything out the closing price was about what I would expect as I wasn't in much of a hurry to sell.

Now looking to figure out whats next, I've devoted 70 hour weeks for the greater portion of 3 years on what started as a project... I'm thinking im going to buy in to become a silent partner at a restaurant that my colleague is starting but I'm not sure if I can sit back and have no real say in a project that will tie up a significant portion of my money.

At the moment planning on taking a 2 month vacation to drive around Western US/Mex.
>>
>>1105132
No experience in the matter, but restaurants seem like way to risky of an investment. Nowhere near the pay off to validate the risk.
>>
>>1105012
>>1105016
>>1105052

Thanks bros, best of luck to yall too.
>>
>>1105055

Thanks bro. For the books and the links.
>>
>>1103432
I'm in sales atm and run a business, about to start a second. My first business is a service (photography), second is going to be physical products.

What would you say is the most important aspect you took from sales into your business? I started back-to-front in that I had a business first so it's hard to see where I learned what.

For me the most important thing I had to learn was confidence in my own work. It's all well and good to be modest about your work when you're a hobbyist, but NEVER do this when you're charging a paying customer. I found out the hard way that it's the quickest way to lose them.
>>
>>1104630
>>1104635
There is a huge market for something i can offer: Trust and honesty.
Most trades like that, here, are made by people without them. I need the skills though.
>>1104763
The thing is, the business are made by people with very little education and they don't really know how to run a business besides working. They acquire their customers because there isn't much of a choice, at least that's what the people in my social class say, the truth might be different, i'll have to check on that.
>>
>>1103167
How do you have success with Facebook and other social media like Instagram and Twitter in regards to marketing and advertisig your brand?
>>
>>1103048
What makes Fcebook the most effective?
>>
>>1105391
The targeting system. Trillions of data points allow you to form the most comprehensive customer profile of any ads out there, and then ONLY advertise to them.
>>
>>1105389
See >>1105400
But in layman's terms that I understand: facebook is all middle aged women sharing clickbait, gossiping, and posting pictures that will make their neighborhood frenemies jealousy of their lifestyles. Find a few that will buy your services or products, and their interaction with your brand spreads virally on it's own; moreover, with the actual paid boosted ads, your message will spread through their network, and their friends network, like a brush fire.

That's my take on it anyhow. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>1105400
>>1105424
Thank you, gentlemen.
>>
Not a business owner but I work in a fairly small family owned machine shop with two CNC mills, 6 CNC machining centres and a couple manual machines.

It kills me watching hours being cut, relying on purchase orders from Halliburton, seeing the owner pay guys $38/hr to run parts an $18/hr operator could do.

It'd be interesting to actually develop a product or a mold for something. Maybe not an oil tool though.

Yeah sorry for the shitty blog post contribution.
>>
>>1106271
>Yeah sorry for the shitty blog post contribution.
desu, anything actually /biz/ related is good in my book. I also blogpost.

So is it your family that runs it?
>>
>>1106294

No, its owned by a retired machinist and his son. They've given me my apprenticeship and paid for trade school so they are a great employer.

The only thing this shop has made without a customer ordering it is a bunch of aluminum crib boards. Although they look sharp and all, in order to break even they would cost around $150 and to make real money I'm sure they would have to make hundreds overnight while no one's on the clock.
>>
>>1103413
me /\

I'm pretty sure I just landed about $4500 in work today. Feels good man
>>
File: humantower.jpg (88KB, 534x898px) Image search: [Google]
humantower.jpg
88KB, 534x898px
>>1105320

> the most important thing I took from sales

That it's a numbers game and a variety game. By numbers I just mean how much do you put out? How many flyers? How many ads? How many social media posts? How many marketing emails? How much door to door? How much referral play? How many people do you just meet in conversation, then pitch and give them your card?

And by variety, I mean the examples above, hitting every single avenue that could lead to sales. You should be doing 5 - 10 different activities that market your business.

My current ratio of efforts to sales is just under 2%. And thats actually not bad. So essentially 98% of people exposed to my business pitch are either not interested or don't respond. For example for every 100 flyers I put in mailboxes, I usually get one phone call.

try everything because some things will surprise you big time. I payed for Google ads and assumed they would be huge. 4 months in and I have not gotten a single sale from a Google lead. On the other hand, some older guy recommended i post an ad on "NextDoor" social media. I thought it would be a total waste of time. But I was like, meh why not. 6 months later, and I get 60% of my business from nextdoor. I now I'm really pushing this Nextdoor shit, but for any home service business its a goldmine.
>>
>>1106735
Term I've heard for decently successful marketing is trickle marketing. Basically sending a steady stream of mailers or emails out. Maybe one every six months to the same business. Essentially establishing your presence. getting your name out there is one thing, getting it to stick is another.
>>
>>1106649
Just picked up 8k in work and became the go to company for one of the largest general contractors in my county. Saved their occupancy inspection when the company they hired was fucking up the fire alarm portion bad. I happen to do that work as well, so I grabbed my laptop and fixed his programming in a couple minutes. Feels good mang.
>>
>>1106735
Weird. Never expected work would come from a place like that. Have you tried angies list/home advisor? I tried, but I hate residential work.
>>
>>1106770

Angies List is oversaturated shit in my opinion. I know other guys have made it work for them, but I havent.

Home Advisor and Houze, IDK. I havent tried either yet.

Right now Nextdoor, referalls and flyers are keeping me busy every week.

I know one full service contractor who doesnt even advertise. He has been around so long and done so much good work his company lives 100% on referrals.
>>
>>1106756

Yeah I agree, it's something I need to work on.
>>
>>1106798
Referrals are the vast majority of our work. The kind I think.
>>
>>1106799
Just asked the wife. Her companies term is "drip marketing". Insurance company that sells internationally. Definitely increased their business in a big way. Company just sold for 20m.
>>
created a social network platform; realized the hard way that SEO/ adwords/adsense/bing
type of advertising is like throwing money into the wind and to never turn on the recommendations on automatic unless you want to go broke very fast

also never pay someone to "manage" an online ad campaign just spend a week learning how to do it yourself
>>
Anyone know how to make online documents or if theres some sort of tutorial for making them through one note?

My mother owns a business and I'm currently in the process of changing her entire system to go paperless.
I dont plan on taking over her company but I'm perfectly fine with managing it.
We run a travel company with emphasis on tourism packages around the world as well as a courier service with offices within 2 countries in south america as well as one recently opened in Alaska.

I have no problem teaching the employees how to implement the system personally, but I would first have find someway to learn about online documentation.
As for my contribution, if anyone wants a good simple means for making a website I suggest checking out a site called squaresoft. It's instructions are easy to follow and there are several examples for how to style your site based on your business. Just make sure not to go overboard and make your business website look like a tumblr blog.
>>
>>1107740
SQUARESPACE*

fuck me sorry yall
>>
Just put my one business idea on Kickstarter for review, last business kinda flopped (web designing)
>>
>>1099715
>learning to run dad's business
>sale manager bought a large quantity of shit products
>feels like its my duty to clear that shit stock up
>mfw my company will not grow with these "managers"
>mfw best let the boat sink
>>
>>1099715
started cleaning boats in the summer made some business cards online and handed them around (live near a lake) can charge anywhere between 100-400$ for less than 2 hours of work
made about 20,000$ in one summer from generous yacht owners, dont need to work in the winter now and can concentrate on college,
>>
>>1099715
I can code all sorts of things but I don't even know what to do with it
My goal is to get a goal
>>
>>1108320

NICE.

this is exactly how its done people.
>>
>>1108320
Very nice. Know your customers.
>>
>>1103073
To build your own brand is hard as shit. To make sny deceny profit you have to buy bulk and sell a lot. There babbi's first brand usually turn to shit. They make a few grand and then die out. To have continuity you need to buy a lot of new shit all the time.

> Just bought dope ass tshirts 8 different cuts. Total 18,000pcs. Makes about 30-40k total
> yikes
>>
>>1107794
I actually left my dad's business for similar reasons. I now own a competing business will likely become equal to his company within a year or so. His company is roughly 25-30 years old. Mines 4. But yeah, if you don't agree with how it's run and he doesn't listen? Just do your own thing. Living in a shadow is brutal.
>>
>>1108479
Jesus, what king of work goes into that? What's the turn around on that kind of volume?
>>
>>1108449
Just met a small business owner that developed software for service companies. Guy was making bank. Funny story, he owned a service company, got tired of the existing software, wrote his own, and sold it. Left behind the first company. Said it was pretty easy. I've contemplated the same thing, but am pretty clueless when it comes to coding and all that. Basically a design software for a specific electrical field. Automatic generation of a design based on the plans you feed it.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.