[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT things economists like to say to make them feel important

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1448685038806.png (11KB, 310x326px) Image search: [Google]
1448685038806.png
11KB, 310x326px
>the market is random
>if you make any money in the stock market it is pure luck
>>
>"im an economist"
>>
>>1098741
Studies repeatedly show that over 90% investors fail to beat the market average.
>>
Don't remember the source, but that one computer program that randomly selected stocks versus real investors who carefully chose stocks.

They came out more or less equal.
>>
>>if you make any money in the stock market it is pure luck

I think you need to listen more closely, because no economists say this.
>>
>>1098749
>what is selection bias
>>
>>1098749
I feel like there's a huge difference between saying that the market is completely random and saying that the market is incredibly difficult to predict. Just because most of us don't understand something doesn't mean there aren't patterns. Nor does it mean that markets are efficient.
>>
I've never heard any economist say any of these things

Rename this thread "Shit Poorfags Say on Facebook About Anything Related to Money"
>>
>>1098791
Love how idiots make fun of Economists and yet, have never studied Economics.

They regurgitate some shit they read in the Zerohedge comments section which was written by a 55 year old with a highschool diploma.
>>
>>1098745
Kek
>>
File: 63990672.jpg (180KB, 475x561px)
63990672.jpg
180KB, 475x561px
>>1098741
Bai Bombardier ples
>>
"The business cycle"
>>
Things people who just got Robinhood and got lucky on their first 3 trades say to make them feel smart:

>I've just sucessfully "predicted" the market with my superior stock picking skill (reading articles on CNBC)
>I will be able to consistently beat the market over the next years
>Those hedge funds and all their MIT quants that are struggling to beat the index sure suck! Luck at how easy this shit is.
>Look at [insert cherry picked star investor here] it's totally possible!!!
>I failed statistics 101 and don't know what "statistical outlier" and "sufficient sample size" means
>>
>>1100176
It's true, though.
>>
>>1098741
Financial Advisor:

>"Buy these mutual funds"

6 months later, losing money

>"oh look at these graphs...you might lose money in the short term. But in the long term you will make money!"

Wait three more months, not making anything. Ya fuck it, pull my money out of this shit, I'm gonna buy some stock.

>"I would advise against it anon! Stocks are risky, I've never made any money from it!!"

Ya whatever do it anyway. Start making money right away.
>>
>>1100959
>three months
>long run
There's your problem.
>>
>>1100959
What are some good methodes of short-term investing?

I hate to invest in to stuff and literally wait 40 years for it to ripe, the hell do I know how my life will be in 40 years?
10 years would already be really stretching for me.

So lets say 5 years, any good viable method to invest with this kind of timeframe with possibly decent returns?

Or is speculation and "playing" my only chance to make some money?

I hope this question isn't as retarded as it sounds to me right now.
>>
>>1100959
Is this a troll post?

Mutual funds are intended for the long term. Ideally if you want to park your money into a fund I would suggest an index fund. At least don't put all your cash into picking your own stocks. You'll be hard pressed just to consistently perform with the market, let alone consistently outperform.
>>
>>1098741
shit thread and you should feel shit
>>
>>1098749
>Studies repeatedly show that over 90% investors fail to beat the market average.
And empirical evidence suggests that 99.99% of people will never be a pro athlete. Yet there are pro athletes; many of them in fact.
>>
>>1101049
This guy
>>
>>1101049
yea dude, it would also be illogical if everyone won. The money that we make has to come from somewhere :^)
>>
>>1101049
if you put enough people to guess random shit evetually some guy is going to guess right 10 times in a row
>>
File: abfds23.gif (1MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
abfds23.gif
1MB, 235x240px
>>1101049
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.