[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post college success

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

So /biz/
What should an economics/math student be doing while still in college in order to not get fucked over upon graduation? I've started looking into internships, but don't have plans for student organizations or anything like that. What kinds of experiences are employers looking for?
>>
>>1098060
Internship above all

Do NOT let yourself graduate without one.
>>
>>1098060
Start working asshole. There are a million others just like you. Get yourself an edge. Get yourself an internship.
>>
>>1098065
This, experience is way more valuable than a degree these days. Internships are more important than actually going to class these days. Listen to this anon.
>>
How relevant is the quality of the company I intern for? Should I basically just be taking whatever I can get? Because there is also the option of taking classes this summer instead if I can't get a good one.
>>
>>1098078
I graduated early with a degree. Literally a month after graduating (already had a job lined up) , I realized I might want to go to grad school and had very few recommendations from professors. Shot myself in the foot with that, even tho good experience in the field.

Tl;Dr network like crazy, build personal relationships esp if you take summer classes in lieu of an internship.
>>
>>1098060
>>1098065
>>1098077
Senior year ME here. No internship. How fucked?

Now that we're doing real engineering this year, aka everything but the math/physics like meetings and paperwork, I realize I fucking hate this shit. I was just good at the homework and liked that and went as far as I could with math/physics and boom I'm suddenly senior year ME realizing I don't actually give a fuck about real ME work. AKA sitting on group communication 24/7 juggling half a dozen separate projects that are all disasters in their own way while vomiting reports everywhere and attending more meeting time than doing actual work time where in the end we're just repackaging existing shit in half-assed solutions and double checking standards and shit.

Anything good to move into laterally?
>>
>>1098907
I've heard a lot of engineering majors moving into finance and such after graduation. You'll have a very technical degree which shows you can handle the quantitative side of the business world, which should actually give you an advantage over a lot of business students. And there's good money to be made in finance.
>>
>>1098920
I originally considered aiming to be an Actuary.
Didn't because of the bar-exam type thing they got.
Went ME because vanilla wide applications and you don't need to pass the license exam to get a relevant job.

What specifically in finance anyway? I didn't look at much outside of Actuary.
I've got a classmate that plans on getting a business major after his ME degree, but his parent's own a business he's inheriting, so...

Frankly it's not just money. I realized two things:
I want hourly, not salary
I want a decent Union and steady employment, not contract work
>>
>>1098926
>>1098920
Actually, more specifically, my life dream would be to plant my ass down in one company, work up a payscale on hourly with overtime and decent vacation hours and minimal threat of becoming obsolete before I retire. The idea of promotions where I'm salary and offered 20% paybump to take on 200% work or I have to work my ass off jumping jobs just to land back at the same company for a proper pay bump make me just want to live out in the woods as a hermit instead. Fuck that. I want my father's american dream.

Frankly I think I missed my life dream by at least 50 years. I feel like I'll end up stuck in some temps contracting company till I die and never able to retire.
>>
File: richard jordan.gif (46KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
richard jordan.gif
46KB, 320x240px
>>1098933
retirement is about accumulating cash producing assets.
>>
>>1099098
Which you can only do if your income exceeds your living expenses.
It's expensive to be poor.

I'm going to be living out of a car just so I can retire.
>>
>>1098907
try startups or your own company

work doesnt have to be this shitty

>>1098933
what makes you think any decent company wants a slob that isnt willing to be ehld accountable for the work he delivers? and doesnt even want to hold a stake in the companies sucess?

>I want my father's american dream.
nobody cares
>>
DO AN INTERNSHIP or I swear to god. like NO.MATTER.WHAT
>>
>>1098060
drop out and get a real skill
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.