[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lawyers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: original.png (325KB, 615x384px) Image search: [Google]
original.png
325KB, 615x384px
can money be made a a lawyer in this day and age?
a lot of people say its tough and that most will barely make it.

is this true and if so how can one be successful?
>>
>>1097392
By picking a field involved in businesses or taxes instead of poor criminals or refugees.
>>
File: black people.jpg (69KB, 533x457px) Image search: [Google]
black people.jpg
69KB, 533x457px
>>1097392
Most lawyers go into clerical/glorified admin work that will be easily replaced by computers soon.

Maybe they should have thought about that while everyone was patting them on the back at the end of high school for going to study law.

>>1097402
This guy is right. Businesses need lawyers to cut through government bullshit.
>>
Yes it is very simple, if you are American:

First, graduate from college with a very good GPA. Think 3.5+, closer to 4.0 the better. Doesn't matter what college or what you study.

Second, take the LSAT and do very well on it. With a very high GPA you can get away with a 160 or a 165, but if you can get upwards of 170 you'll be in great shape. It's a difficult test but it's easy to study for, and if you practice it properly, you can increase your score a lot.

Next step is to attend a top law school-- the only schools that matter when it comes to getting biglaw jobs with six-figure salaries. The only law schools that count are the Top 14, and within those, you should really aim for the top 6.

Next step, take out six figures out debt to finance your legal education. With this looming over your head, attend and pay attention in class and do decently well. Show up to OCI and pretend to be reasonably social, and one of the top 250 or so largest law firms ought to give you an offer. Now you have a six-figure salary job that you can use to pay off your debt and make better money than 99% of people ever will.

Alternatively, you can also make a lot of money in law by going into divorce or personal injury law and getting very lucky. The vast majority of these lawyers will never really make it, and are probably be going to be saddled with the huge debt burden (all law schools, not just the best, are really overpriced-- but if you can go for free/very low cost, it might be worth it). But a few lucky personal injury lawyers will score a case with a multimillion dollar payout and the fees will be enough to live off for the rest of their lives. Same with divorce-- you land a really really rich client, or even a series of fairly rich ones, and you'll be pocketing big bucks.
>>
>>1097415
con't:
Outside of those lucky options, biglaw is the only bet for lawyers who want to make money. Don't believe the median salary numbers, btw-- lawyer salaries in the US are bimodal, you either make around $160,000+ or around $40,000 for your entire career. And only around 10% of law school graduates will get jobs in the six-figure range. The rest are literally fucked financially for the rest of their lives.

Don't believe law school scholarship offers, either-- read the fine print. They'll let you go tuition-free for your first year, but if you don't maintain a 3.6 or 3.8 or 4.0, you lose the scholarship-- and the school might grade or curve in such a way that it's very difficult to keep that GPA.

From what I understand, outside the US legal education is a lot more straightforward, so this advice only really applies to Americans. But if you are American, and considering becoming a lawyer, recognize that the system is really fucked, but if you're smart you can still use it to your advantage.
>>
File: Eternal Cat.jpg (76KB, 500x739px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal Cat.jpg
76KB, 500x739px
>>1097392

> brother is a lawyer

I always post in these threads. Yes the money is still good in law, in fact it can be real fucking good if you play your cards right.

Problem is that there is a glut of lawyers and thanks to supply and demand the first few years of law pay is not nearly as good as it once was.

The second big issue is that a shitton of people become lawyers before fulling knowing what a lawyers life is like. It's dull, gritty, and often soulless. And ultimately it's all about the money. And if you do criminal law it's all about the convictions. Justice? Morality? You'll never consider those two things ever again.

I guess my advice would be to make sure you get into a high tier law school. Then make good grades. Then get with a good firm right out of school. Then slave away for them for 2 - 3 years before telling them to go fuck themselves, and use what you have built to start your own firm. Then you have control and can make money.
>>
>>1097415
>>1097419

So true. And so sad.

So many naive young people with $100k+ in debt and a future in law that will never happen.

The University business model has absolutely got to change or society is fucked.
>>
I would go with patent law but you have to have a hard science degree before taking the patent bar.

Not many people pass to get the sweet registration number.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.