[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for someone in debt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: drowning-in-debt.jpg (66KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
drowning-in-debt.jpg
66KB, 400x300px
What advice would you give someone who had approximately $37,000 in credit card debt other than "hurr durr you're an idiot"?
>>
1) look into a bank loan to clear your credit card. Most times (not all you have to look into it first) bank loans have lower intrest rates than credit cards. This way you're paying less intrest, and technically paying less money overall

2) leave your credit card at home if you're just going out for nothing special. You will be less inclined to spend money

3) start getting in the habit of using cssh for purchases. You have a limited supply of cash. You literally can't spend more cash than you have.

4) holy fuck you're an idiot.
>>
stop spending if it isnt absolutely necessary for survival/legal obligation

get on a monthly budget
>>
run for president of United States if you think this is a big problem and you have a good idea how to solve it
>>
>>1096186
5) Install a spending tracking app on your phone and track everything, then eliminate expenses starting from most money to least, leave only absolute essentials like food and shelter

6) Read personal finance blogs like mrmoneymoustache and follow their advice

7) Sell non-essential valuables you might have, like a car, big tv, hi-fi

8) Eat at home, buy cheap ingredients in bulk

9) You're a fucking idiot
>>
would it just be easier for this person to declare bankruptcy and start over?
>>
>>1096186
Perfect advice for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ZJKN_5M44&ab_channel=SaturdayNightLive
>>
h-how

How does it get that far? What do you have to buy and how often in order to get almost $40k into credit card debt?
>>
>>1096322
go talk to a bank advisor nobody here knows your situation well enough, you sound like you might already have fucked credit for life though
>>
>>1096350
Not OP but...
You can go through a rough period of employment/unemployment and use a CC for bills that accept it like gas and groceries.
You can start a business on credit because the bank was gay and nobody, including the fucking bank, would tell you what needed to be in a business plan.
And you could've gotten many small cards when times were better that add up to a large amount and not paid them down fast enough to beat back interest charges.
>>
>>1096524
None of these are close to reasonable answers.
>>
>>1096524
I mean seriously 40K is not as impossible if it was charged over several years. Remember median income in the US is estimated to be 50K. So go lose your job and get knocked down to less than half on unemployment. Or go buy 10 cases of Figmas because it seems like easy money. Or get hit with a 4K transmission job or a plumbing leak that fucks uo your barhroom when you don't have that lying around. Or even just be late on a bill and get fees plus a 30% interest rate. It's not hard.

Best of luck to OP trying to climb out of that hole. There are no easy answers, regardless of what the Suze ormans of the world try to peddle. Take overtime when it's offered, think about superfluous purchases, and keep your eye on the prize because if you lose focus you will fall right back down.
>>
>>1096532
Right, everyone should just buy shitcoins instead.
>>
>>1096186

How much do you make a year? What are your expenses a month? Can you sell anything to get cash?

Also, you may be able to threaten the credit card comoany and get the amount reduced by saying you can't pay that much off. The alternative is bankrupcy. None of these options are good, so this is a last resort.
>>
Are you a nigger
>>
>>1096186
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020
>>
Invest whatever you can in FCX. Either hold till it hits 14 -15 or take the easy money when it hits 11-12.
>>
>>1096322
Don't forget Muh Attorney Fees.
>>
Ive been seeing this a lot lately, why do people think Freeport is going up?
>>
>>1097527
Or don't avg price target is a bit over $7. $12 is extreme high end of the range

this foggot probably has FCX calls set up.
>>
>>1096186
You're a fuckin indiot
>>
>>1096322

Start what over? Bankruptcy will do more damage to your credit reports than having $37k in CC debt go to collections.
>>
>>1097724
>collections
>followed by being sued
>followed by having a default judgment(s) against you
>followed by bank accounts being wiped out
>followed by wage garnishment

I disagree. I've got one less than two years discharged. Currently I've got a 680 (and rising) FICO, two credit cards both issued after discharge in good standing, a car loan I both opened and payed off after discharge.
>>
>>1096186
Try to make $38k and pay it off or interest will accrue and you'll end up paying more than that
>>
>>1096186
pay it off as fast as you can or declare bankruptcy
>>
>>1097735
Sounds like you had a lot of satisfactory accounts apart from your discharged ones, which isn't normally the case for bankruptcy. Most likely, OP wouldn't be filing bankruptcy for just one account. Bankruptcy makes all included accounts become adverse on your reports, so they hurt your score.
>>
>>1097746
>Bankruptcy makes all included accounts become adverse on your reports, so they hurt your score.

I know, I went through one. Chapter 7. No accounts survived. Every one was negative. Even the IRS was included for old business debts. My score was effectively 0 when I checked my score a month after discharge.

Again, it's mainly social stigma. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. You can even qualify for a mortgage 3 (FHA) to 4 (conventional) years after discharge.
>>
>>1097751
I prefer:

> quit job & work under the table
> tell all debtors to fuck off
> after 1 year of no contact, dispute all collections account on credit reports, including judgments
> after disputing hard for a year straight, reports are clean
> get new better job & apply for house
>>
>>1097760
Haha yeah if only it were that easy.. just head to the woods and say fuck it. Emerge a year later and everything is fine
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.