[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get a mechanical engineering internship with a 2.67

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: consider:.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
consider:.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
How do I get a mechanical engineering internship with a 2.67 GPA?

I know the material really well and I'm better at the job than my classmates, but my grades don't necessarily reflect that.
>>
>>1084500
Kill yourself and get reincarnated as a guy with better grades
>>
>>1084500
But seriously though, one thing you can do if it's a small company is build something impressive to act as a kind of functional resume. I was in the same position a few years ago after graduation, bad grades but very technically capable. I designed and built a new type of inline robotic arm and just walked into the lobby with it and asked to speak to the hiring manager. I don't work at that place anymore but that was what got me going professionally
>>
Look into what you can do to fix your grades, first of all. You might be able to retake some classes and boost your GPA. My university had a program like that.
>>
Do enough postgrad courses (MSc, other certificates) and then you'll just place your undergrad somewhere in a corner on your resume, without mentioning grades.

If asked, you either lie, or say something like "My BSc wasn't motivating me as much as the MSc stuff; and look, I got 95%."

Or just lie senpai, say "3.5+ GPA" expected.
>>
>>1084547
Thanks, I'll look into this.

>>1084561
>>1084568
I'm a junior trying to get an internship for the summer before I graduate next spring. I don't have time for that.
>>
>>1084547
or look for places that have an application project. places that take the time to review projects won't look at your resume as much.
>>
People will evaluate you on GPA if it is the only criterion you give them to evaluate you with.
Get other legitimate credentials.
>>
>>1084547
>literally go invent something

You can extend your degree by one semester and retake some classes that you can get better grades on. This might be your best option if noone accepts you as an intern
>>
>>1084500
>know the material
Clearly you don't. You'd have good grades and easily make connections if you did. And why a fucking internship if you know the "material" you retarded goon?

get a mentor or study on your own until you know enough to be a tech or assistant. Then just say what you can do. If this dogshit easy part is too much for you to handle, you'll never in your life be an engineer. Write about failing instead in a blog.
>>
>>1084980
I just transferred schools and so I only have last semester's grades on my transcript. Not all of my credits transferred and I had to take 18 credits, which was way too much, and because of the course load and the weird way these guys calculate GPA I ended up with a 2.67. Ordinarily my GPA is around a 3.1-3.2.
>>
>>1084989
Ordinarily I'd say grades don't mean anything but you don't do anything else, right? Fix your grades then.
>>
>>1085000
I do lots of other stuff, but I'm not sure how I would put most of it on a resume. The fact that I'm distracted applying the material outside of class to my personal projects is a contributing factor to why my grades are a bit low. Stuff like heat treating my airsoft gear and lots of weird programming projects.
>>
If your employer is only using GPA to evaluate your skills than it's a shitty wage cuck position.

In that case just outright lie. The market will test your skills, not some HR cunt.
>>
You're still in school, so do what you can to improve the GPA.

Do you have any other work experience? Internship experience? You can leverage your experiences in your application.

If you're even involved with a campus organization, that's even better. The fuckers from HR dig that.

In the end, boring little technicalities like GPA and campus involvement mean nothing a year after college. But these things help you gain the upper hand during the HR screening.
>>
What's /biz/'s stance on cold emailing and cold calling potential internship employers?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.