[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job Interview Anxiety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1397426754750.jpg (79KB, 400x452px) Image search: [Google]
1397426754750.jpg
79KB, 400x452px
I have the first real career interview of my life on Wednesday, and it's one of those situations where I really need this position. It's my second interview, and I'm not even sure if there are other people i'm competing with.

Regardless, It's two days away and I'm already beginning to feel anxious. I usually don't have anxiety problems at all, but since this is going to be the single most important conversation of my life so far, I'm really worried. Any advice to calm my nerves? My friend does a shot before interviews, and it's worked well for him, but I'm leery of it working for everyone. What does /biz/ do to combat the pre-interview jitters?
>>
>>1084413
have you done your homework? Contrary to popular opinion they're not going to be judging you on your personality-- but rather your knowledge of the job in question.

go to the library for several hours a day in the week before the interview to bone up on whatever you have to know. It has always made the difference to me.

if it's a technical interview there are other tricks as well.
>>
>>1084426
It's for a paid financial advising residency program, which is supposed to teach me and get my certifications to be an advisor by the end of it. So given the field and the type of position, I'm thinking that my personality is actually the most important part.
>>
My suggestions are this:

Prepare yourself in advance--like tomorrow at the latest. Not the day before or the day of. The reason being that you want to be somewhat spontaneous, not totally polished-sounding in the interview. Just like having to testify, you want to be somewhat in the moment. Being genuine is important or they won't actually meet "you". That said you also need to feel prepared--this is subjective so you'll have to assess this on your own/with someone you trust to the best of your ability. Write down some criteria of what you want to be competent at/prepared for and work on those. Honestly I think this process is actually more important than the actual content. Especially since you won't really know how it's going to go down until you're in there.

Finally if you are going to be nervous, do some mock interviews(again, in advance), and more specifically make sure you sleep well, eat well, feel good and dress well for the big show. Don't load up on stimulants--try to be clear headed.

2cents

Oh and I hate that fucking picture it actually rustles my jimmies
>>
>>1084413
>but since this is going to be the single most important conversation of my life so far, I'm really worried
This is objectively not true.

Seriously bro: you literally have nothing to lose. You don't *have* the job now. It's not costing you anything except some time. If you fuck it up, you can analyze what you did wrong and try again somewhere else. At the very least, you get practice. At best you get an offer. Both of those things are a benefit to you.

Oh yeah and just relax during the penis inspection. You don't need full marks to pass.
>>
>>1084426
you gonna fail sempai
>>
>>1084435
>This is objectively not true.
I said "so far". I don't expect this to be that important in the long-run. I've just done nothing with my life but pass classes.

And I have plenty of opportunity cost to lose, not to mention student loan payments in the fall.
>>
OP I just went on 4 on site job interviews last week, one was a short 30 min one but the other 3 were these long 3 hour panel interviews

It will be a lot about the company and your skills but also your fit people will be wondering do they want to work with you so you have to sell yourself not only skill wise but personality wise

Honestly just be yourself and be professional, remember that you got invited to interview because you did so well in the phone interview and have confidence in yourself, it'll all work out in the end, smile a lot and be sure to shake everyone's hand.

You got this op
>>
Don't be afraid to pause and think about what you are going to say or how you are going to articulate it, it seems a lot longer than it actually is. Then again I have such severe anxiety I cant even apply for jobs to begin with so nvm lol.
>>
>>1084443
Thanks, anon. I'm well aware of all of this advice, it's just that this is my first choice for career, and I'm not even sure such a position even exists outside of what this company offers.

It just seems like I'll either get into financial advising via this route or have to start working in other sectors that I'm not as interested in.

Plus, it would be really nice to just relax my last semester of college knowing I have a job lined up in the summer.
>>
>>1084449
Nah, that's legitimately good advice. The first interview was a really weird online thing where you recorded video responses to questions they asked. You had 3 takes for each question, so I learned pretty quickly that pauses weren't actually nearly as long as they felt like.
>>
>>1084454
Well I can't give you any advice outside of what you already know, honestly it's okay to be nervous, everyone is during these things, and it might even endear you to the interviewers.

I just went through a gauntlet of interviews last week and came out with a job offer today, and let me tell you I'm not the most socially adept or cool and calm person out there, If I can do it so can you.

Good luck anon
>>
>>1084485
Thanks. Congrats on the job, mate.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.