[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ok /biz/antines. I'm a procrastinator and I got some homework

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1422889983624.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1422889983624.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
ok /biz/antines. I'm a procrastinator and I got some homework due tomorrow. My question is, what are your thoughts on self-driving cars? There are projected to be 10 million of them on the road by 2020. Tesla has introduced a car that can ride lanes by itself and can change lanes at the flip of a button. It even keeps up with traffic.

Any thoughts? The best answers will be consolidated into a single paper. Plus I thought it'd be an ok thread

plz no shitpostin k guys?
>>
>>1075224
Only plus side could be if I can park it downtown and it can take me home once I'm shitfaced drunk. That probably won't be possible however as I'm sure there will be laws requiring drivers to be able intervene in case of emergency.

If i'm wrong on that, then there will be a fuck ton of uber/taxi/truck drivers out of work. Mass unemployment is a great thing right?

Who is liable if my autonomous car kills a 5yo girl running into the street? me? the automaker?

What if my robo car is about to drive into a crowd of neet protestors, is my car supposed to veer into the sidewalk and kill me to save them? or am I supposed to just mow down 10 people due to a computer error?
>>
i'll be able to manually drive into a shitton of people, then revert the car back to autopilot before it crashes and claim it spun out of control all on its own

Sounds like a good deal to me
>>
Can it drive over curbs to make it into that shitty receiving area? Can it break traffic laws? Can it yell at some idiot to move his car? Delivery driving is deeply unrefined and robuts are going to have a hard time of it
>>
>>1075224
Projected by who? The self driving car lobby?
>>
I don't think car sharing is going to become a thing for any sizeable amount of people. That's probably the biggest disagreement I have with the autonomous vehicle community.

Drivers are still going to be required for the foreseeable future for liability purposes.

So there will not be any immediate economic impact.

This is just a luxury technology for the foreseeable future. Its incredible tech and does have great potential, but our own systems will inevitably limit that change.

Also I'm from the north and they can't really get these things to drive in snow yet. I'm sure they will be able to eventually though. Just putting the situation in perspective.
>>
The was a massive self-driving car thread on /biz/ last year or several months ago or something... I don't know if it was archived or not.

As far as I know they haven't tackled certain hazardous weather conditions or the entire season of winter (let me know if they have). I live in a rural area. If I want to park a car in the grass, how do I go about this? I dual car is a nice idea. Like you don't have cruise control on all the time. And you shouldn't have an autonomous car that completely removes independent driver functions (I can't believe some models being designed are offering that). It seems to be a luxury product designed by people who use public transport most of the time and have favorable weather. I think there are far more obstacles than they imagine. When they say "X amount of people will have them by 2020," they are basing that estimate on their early success. It's challenging, but not difficult to imagine a car doing highway driving in southern california or easy commuter stuff. But they are not going to maintain the same momentum working towards the problems they have to tackle next. And I do believe they will be able to work around most of them, but not by 2020. The self-driving cars on the market by 2020 will be like the electric cars that can go 90 miles on a single charge! (big fucking whoop, that's pathetic). It will be niche, small, and not expansive.

>>1075249
I did read in interesting hypothesis that it could solve the parking problem in major cities by dropping people and driving far away or circling the block, etc. but solving parking problems by adding more moving cars (unless they would make this a rideshare or public transit idea) doesn't seem like much of a solution.
>>
>>1075292
Just doing my daily reading came across this joker on Gizmodo...
"Remember that the arrival of autonomous vehicles will require about an 80 percent reduction in real estate dedicated to roads. So by the time this project would be finished, cars will only need half the lanes and there would be absolutely no reason to widen the bridge at all. The city should start by safely cordoning off and dedicating one lane of the bridge’s vehicular traffic to bikes in either direction (not unlike a road diet), which will encourage bike ridership and get people out of their cars. By 2025, autonomous cars will be here, only requiring two lanes to safely ferry all passengers, and saving the rest of the bridge for walkers and bikers. No extra bike path will be required."
>>
>>1075224
I think autonomous vehicles will have their features slowly creep up over time, just like with the new Volvo safety editions. I don't think it will be for a while, and the silent revolution will slowly occur until the public fully accepts entirely autonomous automobiles (although they exist currently).

If you do write the paper, the only major thing holding up is the lack of a national standard for them. I believe congress has to approve a law -- which gives authority to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to recommend guidelines. Then automakers will get the ball rolling. As of right now, each state is free to write up their own version of guidelines/laws which makes it impossible for automakers to release one model. So there's currently a California edition of X, and a New York edition of X. You can get the point.
>>
>>1075224
I personally think automated cars can be dangerous, in due time someone can put GPS on one and set its destination. Then when it gets there it blows up. Another thing is hackers and insiders maybe itll be easier to steal cars, even clone those electronic keys that unlock ur car when u get close enough, then u just push a button to start the car and drive off. Please discuss these topics they will occur.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.