[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TAX TIEM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: baghead.jpg (91KB, 604x598px) Image search: [Google]
baghead.jpg
91KB, 604x598px
>sink hours into doing free file via TurboTax
>get to the part where I realize I qualify for Heath Coverage Tax Credit
>NOPE YOU GOTTA PAY $35 IN ORDER TO INCLUDE THAT FORM
>fuckingkillme.jpg
jesus fucking christ

How did you do your taxes this year, biz? Any suggestions for free federal & state filing? (I'm a poorfag with simple taxes)
>>
print out a 1040ez from the irs website or a 1040a if you want to use the health care coverage credit
>>
>TurboTax

You can fill every form with emojis and they will let you submit it.
>>
>>1074702
To be fair, you can do this with your paper taxes too. Might get audited though.
>>
>>1074705

But I wouldn't have to pay money
>>
>>1074700
Thanks. I will probably have to do this, I just hope the HCTC is worth it. I don't even know if it's $10 bucks or hundreds or what.
>>
>>1074715
how much do you make and are you filing single?
>>
>>1074730
In 2015 I made $19,000 from my job and $6,000 from unemployment (my workplace closed in July). I am filing single.
>>
>>1074730
Right? Its literally free to file at irs dot gov unless you make above like 80k
>>
>>1074732
You'll get a pretty good refundable tax credit. I'd have to look at how the credit scales but you will most likely get half your insurance premiums back.
>>
>>1074734
it was last year but someone hacked the irs website and fucked it up for everyone this year!
>>1074732
you're going to need a 1095 and an 8962 you can get both from the irs website. idk how much you paid in this year but you'll get like half back.
>>
File: canvas.png (994KB, 900x540px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
994KB, 900x540px
>>1074769
Thanks, I found that it's 72.5% of what you paid in. For me, that's $138.50. I suppose it's worth the fucking headache of starting over on my own. But GODDAMNIT.

Thanks, /biz/.
>>
>>1074809
$138.50 total back, that is
>>
>>1074815
glad i could help
>>
File: 1301103912186.png (193KB, 348x411px) Image search: [Google]
1301103912186.png
193KB, 348x411px
>>1074694
And thats why I no longer use TurboTax.
>>
Do I have to fill tax even though I made like 3k which .5k went to taxes. That what I made in 2015.

They did retain money from my paycheck but I'm only in the states for like 2 months and study abround most of the year, even though there is tax return I don't think at most 150 in tax return is worth while a trip to the USA to fill taxes.
>>
>>1074932
well technically yes everyone who makes money in the us is required to file a tax return. is the irs going to come after you for some failure to file fines? no. but if it were me i would consider filing a return because it takes an hour or less and $150 is worth that to me especially with the advent of the internet and such.
>>
>>1074970
What program, if any, do you use to do your taxes? And are you a CPA? You're v helpful.
>>
>>1074694
>I qualify for Heath Coverage Tax Credit
Did you buy health insurance through the Marketplace on HealthCare.gov? Then you have to file that form. You have to input your 1095-A information and file that form to reconcile the amounts. Or you're gonna get an IRS letter and you won't be able to buy health insurance next year. If you didn't go through the Marketplace, then you don't qualify for that credit or form. And I have a feeling you're doing shit wrong.

So, now, what state do you live in OP? Many places offer free help and you are at the income amount where you qualify. Check your state's department of revenue website, local library, or whoever they have in charge of hosting that shit.

>>1074932
If you only made 3k, and had federal or state withholding (your tax return doesn't care about your social security or medicare withholding), then you will get the federal and state withholding back by filling a tax return. You have 3 years to do this. If you're getting a refund, the IRS doesn't care when you file, so you have extra time to do this.
>>
>>1074694
If you're a poor fag, I recommend going to a VITA center.
>>
>>1075313
Like I said, I lost my job this year and for that reason I was on COBRA for a month and I qualify for TRA benefits, which makes me eligible to use the HCTC. It's nothing to do with the Marketplace and I'm not wrong. Thanks for your input.

>>1075317
What's this?
>>
>>1074694
>hours

No wonder you're poor. Jesus anon
>>
I use eTax
Probably a better site out there somewhere but they only charge like 20 bucks and It took me only like 10 minutes
>>
>>1074694

TurboTax freefile is only for EZ or A filers

How in the fuck do you spend hours filling out a 1040EZ? Honestly, most 5th graders could complete one in under 30 minutes.

Even a 1040A shouldn't take more than 45 min to an hour, tops.

I file a long form 1040 with dozens of deductions and capital gains on sale of stocks, and it takes like 60-90 minutes.
>>
I owe 900 combined state and federal taxes

I'm fucking pissed, taking my forms to a professional to see if there is anything I can do.
>>
>>1076225
how much did you make and are you filing single?
>>
>>1076225
No, a single person with no kids is not entitled to take 20 allowances. If you had self employment income, why were you not making your 1040-ES payments quarterly like you were supposed to?
>>
>>1076237
I made 30k and yes
>>
>>1076246
yep you should owe $900. Do you travel for work, did you go to college this year, pay for health insurance, donate anything to charity, care for someone who is a dependent?
>>
I made about 30k last year but had employee sponsored coverage the whole year, so the 1095C i got is just "for my records"
i dont get to participate in the HCTC.
>>
So this is my first year filing taxes. I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm nervous as fuck that I'll end up owing money.

>Income was roughly $15,600 over the 10 months I was employed in 2015
>I have 1 dependent on my tax forum (my mother with a shitload of health issues)
>I'm single, but put Head of Household on my forum because of the dependent
>Total federal income tax withheld was $23.00 (yes, twenty three. Asked the accountant, she said it was because of the dependent)
>SSI withheld was $970
>Medicare withheld $230
>State income tax was $250
>Expenses for the dependent were around $350 a month, $1325 if you include rent

Am I fucked? Will I get anything back or will I owe money?
>>
>>1076515
you will get a lot of money back, probably over $1000. look for a VITA center near you. just type "VITA near me" on google, they will do your taxes free. If you don't have any in your area go to a CPA firm dont do turbotax or go to HR block. the main thing that you need to look at to see if you will get money is did your mom earn over $6,300? If she did your refund will only be a couple hundred.

I must ask however, how do you afford $1000 rent if you only make $15,600?
>>
>>1076568
She made absolutely nothing since 2012.

Rent is $975, average check is 800-880 depending on the pay period. Let's just say I'm pretty fucking broke constantly because of this.
>>
>>1074694
TaxAct, if you insist on not doing a paper form. Full service (equivalent of the Turbo Tax Ultimate) for $8 federal, $6 state. I made the switch when TT took off dividend filing from the Deluxe package and bumped it up a level.
>>
>>1076568
>>1076582
I looked in to that VITA thing, there are a few within a reasonable driving distance. Can I ask though, why not HR Block? There's one not 5 minutes from my house.
>>
>>1076582
yeah go to VITA or grab a 1040(not 1040ez or 1040a, the long one) you are the holy grail of tax credits/deductions.
>>
>>1076599
free>hundreds of dollars
>>
File: 1441555074992.jpg (595KB, 1536x1726px) Image search: [Google]
1441555074992.jpg
595KB, 1536x1726px
>today
>go to h&r cock after work
>it takes the woman 14 minutes
>federal keeps $6,888. Refunds $585
>I owe state $29
>I have to pay h&r cock $93
th-thanks
>>
File: na-sosach-tupoe-bidlo.png (39KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
na-sosach-tupoe-bidlo.png
39KB, 600x700px
Sosachers? On my bizach?
>>
Why aren't you using free fillable forms off the IRS website? It's free...all you have to do is follow the PDF instructions. It look me 20 mins to file this year.
>>
>>1074970
Must I be in the USA to fill a tax return? or can it be filled online.

I don't go back to the States 'till like late May at most and I think the date limit is 15th of April to fill them.
>>
So what are the rules regarding obamacare? If you have insurance when you file your taxes, are you in the clear? Or do you need to have had it all of 2015 to avoid the fine?

Like lets say I get insurance tomorrow, then file my taxes next week. Am I fucked?
>>
I probably could've qualified for something, but when I filed it literally told me I didn't need to do an additional form.

Oh well, if IRS comes for me I have all my paperwork
>>
>>1074694
>moved to new state
>forgot to adjust my withholding
>despite making just $20k, I owe $550 this year
fucking taxes man
>>
>>1076800
You have several extra months if you're an expat (you must have resided in foreign country for at least 6 months out of the calendar year of last year I think to qualify).

Fuck man, being a US expat makes filing even more complicated. The US, Philippines, and Eritrea are the only countries that tax their expats on foreign income.

What's worse is that the US makes you file at all. In most other countries, the tax agency does all the accounting and just sends you the paperwork to correct or dispute. But the big four accounting lobbies made Congress forbid that so you have to do it yourself or go to them.
>>
>>1076073
Sorry, I was confused. There's a difference between the Premium Tax Credit (Form 8962) which is a popular form and what I thought you were talking about, and the Health Care Tax Credit (which is rare and being phased out).

>What's VITA
>Many places offer free help and you are at the income amount where you qualify. Check your state's department of revenue website, local library, or whoever they have in charge of hosting that shit.
VITA is in charge of hosting the free shit.

>>1076515
Get ready for that sweet, sweet Earned Income Tax Credit (you'll get money back when you claim your mom and be head of household... you're good anon). You could honestly use TurboTax for your return, though, but please don't go to HR Block. They overcharge EITC returns like crazy. I've seen VITA screw up EITC returns, but I've seen people fuck up their turbotax returns, too. So, it's up to you.

>>1076800
File an extension, 1040-ES, just to be safe, but yeah, you got some extra time (and if you're getting a refund, the IRS really doesn't care). If you owe, you better file an extension to be safe, though listen to >>1077061.

>>1076840
You have to have at least 1 day of coverage in every month of the year. The penalty is broken down by month and is the greater of 2% of your taxable income or $325 (for the year... prorate by month). There are also exceptions like short coverage gap or poverty that get you out the fine, it depends.
>>
>>1077073
>File an extension, 1040-ES
Fuck I'm tired. Form 4868, excuse me. That's the extension form. ES's are estimate forms.
>>
>>1074694
>Any suggestions for free federal & state filing?
Why doesn't your government provide this service, like in a proper country?
>>
>>1076568

>dont do turbotax or go to HR block
>go to a CPA firm

TurboTax = $Free to $80 depending on complexity
HR Block = $Free-500 depending on complexity
CPA = $200-1000+ depending on complexity

Yeah, that makes sense
>>
>>1077089
>stimulate muh economy

Everyone one of us has to deal with this shit, every single year. It takes me 2 nights to enter all the data and pray when the govt comes calling I can plea ignorance of the law given there are tens of thousands of them.
>>
>>1074694
>How did you do your taxes this year, biz?

I paid an accountant $500 to do them because I'm not a wagecuck and I can't be bothered.
>>
>>1074694

Getting back just over $6,000. Home ownership and marriage has it's advantages.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.