[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a liberal arts degree rally that bad if it's your passion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Is a liberal arts degree rally that bad if it's your passion and you're already good at your creative craft?
>>
>>1068461
Yes it's close to worthless
>>
>>1068461
yes its one of the worst possible decisions you can make, unless you just want to network all of college and get a non degree related job, in which case its merely a degree that says "went to university" which is a requirement for many jobs
>>
you can get management or supervisory plus sales or government jobs. its not too bad if its already paid
>>
>>1068461
One of the best degrees out there
>>
Was a liberal arts major, now making 6 figures. It's not the major it's the person that gets hired.
>>
>>1068717
Cont. I'm going to elaborate because this board is so damn toxic. I've worked hard for a little more than half a decade in a dozen fields, likely put out more resumes and had more interviews than everyone in my family combined. If you want to major in EE you can. Your job opps will be greater than someone in the liberal arts. I work right next to an EE that graduated from UTD in 91. Work experience trumps most degrees. That being said if you're working in specific fields you need a specific degree for advancement most of the time. You can get a grad degree later on in the field of your choice.
>>
>>1068732
People are going to post shitty tiered majors. Nobody gives a fuck what you majored in. Do you do work? Are you fun to be around?

I interviewed a girl for a data entry position. I asked her 3 times what she can do. She could have said anything related to her skillset, type, stand, move boxes. I wpuld've hired her. Instead she answered ' I'm looking for something part time because I go to school full time.'

People like that will always suck to work with. Focus on yourself. You only get a few chances in life to spend 4 years reading classics. Sure you can get the same education with a library card but you should mostly focus on improving yourself.
>>
>>1068461
>B.A. in history
>MBA
>Goldman Sachs CEO
That's how it goes.
>>
Is your degree from a top-tier university? Do you have good marks? Are you adaptable? Can you sell yourself?

If you can answer in the affirmative, you will be fine. /biz/ has an obsession with STEM (probably because the board consists of 18-22 year-olds) but the reality is that most people do not work within the confines of their degree.
>>
>>1068461
Never understood by liberal arts majors get so much shit as the jobless degree

Sales, teaching, writing for a newspaper, screenplay writer, novel writer, speech writer, management, HR, painter/artist. Most people don't even get degree related jobs, STEM included.
>>
>>1068816

The reason why we give it shit is because a degree in math will open all the same doors as a liberal arts degree-

You can get a math degree and work in sales, teaching, writing for a newspaper, painter, artist, etc.

But if you want to work in a math related field? You need a math degree-

So why get the liberal arts degree? To limit yourself?

For the record, most of the jobs you listed as a good fit for LA degree DONT EVEN REQUIRE A DEGREE AT ALL- which is pretty telling.

The reason why math majors don't work as artists is because they can get a job for $100,000 a year out of school- so why get a job that pays $100 a month?
>>
File: 1452805770328.jpg (29KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
1452805770328.jpg
29KB, 600x325px
>>1068461
>tfw Philosopher King

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table4.pdf
>>
>>1068837
>only consideration in getting a degree employment
>not learning for the sake of it
>working class scum
>mfw

History/Politics with an MA in International Relations master race here.
>>
>>1068461
The point that most people that make "XD FAST FOOD LIBERAL ARTS!!!!!!!!!" memes never make, is that a liberal arts degree is stupid because you're better off pursuing that industry without taking 4 years at a college.

Creativity is best learned on your own, at your own pace (usually faster than courses at college take) and you'll have a more impressive portfolio, and likely better connections, if you're ACTUALLY passionate about the job. The problem is, most people that go into an art post-secondary program are only doing it because they don't want a job that requires problem solving. Their parents told them they're great at (drawing/dancing/photography/etc), and they want to get "the college experience", so they to go school for something they don't really care about.
>>
>>1068461
"liberal arts" doesn't mean "creative arts". History is liberal arts. By some definitions mathematics is liberal arts.
People seem to get the term confused with "humanities".
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.