[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a college education matter anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

File: 1242951041713.jpg (12KB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
1242951041713.jpg
12KB, 200x160px
Does a college education matter anymore?
>>
>>1068389
Yes it opens many doors for you.

Think about it. If everyone has a college education, think how poorly you will stand out looking for a job without one.

If "everyone le has one" then that's all the more reason to get one - that means it's become a necessity for non-shit jobs.
>>
>>1068389

No, it doesn’t. If you want your kids to succeed make sure they don't go to college. Come to think of it, it would be in their best interests to drop out of high school. You don't need schools, you've got the internet.
>>
>>1068391

But those 4 years of your life could be spent doing something better.

I've been dropshipping- and making lots of money.

Now, I'm making so much money there is now reason to seek a job- but I'm sure, if I applied and included my tax returns and said 'I built a company that makes $150k a year in profit from NOTHING' here is the proof-

That's a lot more impressive than a degree, no?

Plus, all the money I made, I keep, instead of paying money like a cuck to go to school, I make money
>>
https://youtu.be/U1f3QoEdwPY?t=3m2s
>>
>>1068391
>>1068395

Eh, it just feels like educational experience doesn't matter as much as paid experience. I just got my Masters and most of the relevant experience I have has been through the two internships that were required for my program. It feels like I'm getting passed up for people who have more paid relevant experience.

Right now, I'm looking for a shitty retail job just to add paid experience to my resume.
>>
>>1068397

Wtf is dropshipping?
>>
>>1068406

Use google maybe? I'm not here to hold your hand, educate yourself, or shut up
>>
>>1068405

While you were doing that Masters you could have been learned much more through Youtube videos. You got screwed desu senpai.
>>
>>1068395
In fairness to this point of view you can actually get lectures, course notes, problem sets and assignments/exams from good universities from your pc now a days. This wasn't true until (very) recently and it does bring into question the usefulness of attending college as it isn't the only way to access those materials anymore.
>>
File: stem_orange.png (10KB, 300x228px) Image search: [Google]
stem_orange.png
10KB, 300x228px
>>1068389
Only for STEM majors.
>>
>>1068407

Given that you evidently have no social skills I'm going to assume it's something only retards do.
>>
File: 1451980909546.jpg (64KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1451980909546.jpg
64KB, 1000x667px
College is still a very useful, rewarding and social experience that would benefit anyone... but I'd honestly say NO to it if I didn't have the means to go without going into massive student debt.

It's not a 1 size fits all deal.
>>
>>1068412

Universities are bullshit. Real knowledge comes from anime imageboards.
>>
>>1068341
Here are the degree tiers

>>1068389
>>
>>1068414

You're not a customer- I have no reason to be nice to you. If I have to, I can kiss ass.

Yours isn't worth kissing.

This isn't university, I'm not your day care baby sitter, sorry, professor I mean, figure it out on your own
>>
>>1068421
You sound like a cunt.
>>
>>1068397
>But those 4 years of your life could be spent doing something better.

It *CAN*, but doesn't mean it will for the vast majority of people - hence why it's a bad decision.

The average 18 year old simply does not have the motivation to work on his skills/business and work self-motivated for those years without getting pushed by being in a structured environment with peers of his own agegroup with whom he makes relationships.

>>1068411
>While you were doing that Masters you could have been learned much more through Youtube videos

Yeah try adding "I learned from YouTube university" on your resume.

basically - degrees open doors for you. You have a whole ton more options with a degree(even a shitty one) that others you would not have available. Many HR departments literally just look that you have A degree. If you do not - nope no interview for you, sorry. - Doesn't matter how much experience you have managing over $2billion in your firm or whatever.

many also pay more just because you have a degree.

Unless you have solid business plans to start your own business a degree is one of the best investments.
>>
>>1068421

Nvm i just looked up dropshipping. Haha holy shit, kill yourself m8.
>>
Short answer: Yes

Long answer No

College is what you make of it.

If you're going to fuck around for 4 years and rack up student loans, while you coast through a grade inflated meme degree such as business, finance, or literally any liberal arts degree, then you're destined to wage cuckery at best.

If you have no money to start with or no family to support you, then it is extremely important for you to go to a community college for two years. You can knock out your useless highschool 2.0 classes, aka general ed, for practically nothing.

If you have no connections or networking going into college, then you need to make that a major priority as soon as you start freshman year.

If you're doing a STEM degree, then you need to get as close to a 4.0 as possible. If you're not willing to commit to that, then realize you're a fucking retard for paying thousands of dollars to party and fuck around when not in class.

99% of the people who will tell you college is a bad choice are people who fucked around in college.

College should be treated as job training/networking. The notion that college is the best years of your life was exclusive to Gen X. Now before some autist starts nit picking, you can obviously enjoy yourself, but the college game has changed for millennials and it has to be taken seriously, otherwise you end up broke and at a Bernie Sanders rally cheering for political cuckolding
>>
>>1068434

Ok, if you don't have the intelligence and the work ethic, then have will university help you?

Just go work at starbucks already, why spend 4 years at university you couldve spent at starbucks making money?
>>
>>1068452
>Just go work at starbucks already, why spend 4 years at university you couldve spent at starbucks making money

Because if you put in a slight bit of effort you can find a reasonably cozy job with even the shittiest degree.

Which of what I posted are you referring to btw?
>>
>>1068455

>The average 18 year old simply does not have the motivation to work on his skills/business and work self-motivated for those years

This part.

Those guys are the guys that go to university and then work at mcdonalds.

All I'm saying is that if you're one of those guys just go work at mcdonalds and save yourself 4 years.

The people that go to university, and then get great, 100k a year jobs outside of school, those guys didnt NEED school. They have the work ethic and the smarts to just buy some shit from alibaba and sell it and make MORE than 100k a year.
>>
>>1068458
>Those guys are the guys that go to university and then work at mcdonalds.
>All I'm saying is that if you're one of those guys just go work at mcdonalds and save yourself 4 years.

This does happen, but I reckon that the college experience and degree does them more good than just going to McD's.

McD's is essentially shutting your life down, from that point on you just fucked your life.

That experience from college should (more often than not) push them into living a better life than flipping burgers. Being with people of your agegroup should also help them to be healthy and have reasonable outlooks on life.
>>
>>1068465

I worked cleaning dishes from ages 16-19. When I was 18 I started drop shipping, 40 hours a week, while I was working cleaning dishes another 40 hours a week.

Once I started making more drop shipping than I did cleaning dishes, I handed in my 2 weeks, walked out the door, never looked back

It DOES NOT shut your life down. ONLY YOU CAN SHUT YOUR LIFE DOWN.
>>
>>1068470

>delivers packages for a living
>I'M DOING SO WELL

kek, all this coping
>>
>>1068397

It's for when logistics from China to USA becomes less complicated.

> plan b
>>
>>1068491

Ok, my business dies, I'll find something else to do. I'll take my income tax forms to some company, plop them on the desk, and ask for a job.

Or start a new company.

My business can die, but my work ethic and my intellect will NEVER die
>>
>>1068414

Yes Amazon, Walmart, and Target are completely retarded business models.

> inb4 not drop shipping
>>
>>1068494

Ye that's what I said 2 years ago.

> don't let it get to your head.
>>
>>1068495

Amazon is great. You, however, are an insignificant pleb faggot that has somehow managed to convince yourself you don't have a shitty job.
>>
>>1068498

Well, I'm drop shipping semi conductors. RAM, CPUs, that kind of thing.

It's a very niche space where networking is everything- all the people in this business have been doing it since the 80s.

I don't see my business going anywhere other than up and up.

If some stupid college kid decided he wanted to be in the business, who does he call to get $100,000 in used ram? How does he know what modules are selling well this month, and what modules aren't going to turnover fast?

He doesn't.
>>
>>1068504

Oh yes I have a shitty job, working 12 hour 2nd shift bullshit.

God do I wish my only worry was what Breaking Bad episode I was going to watch next again.
>>
>>1068389
The thing I hate about people who don't go to school is that they're always "hurr durr such a waste I'm just gonna work in construction with my dad lol you're retarded"

My school is paid for, I'm learning useful skills, I'm learning things outside of my
comfort zone, I meet cute, educated girls, and I don't have to worry about doing manual labor for the rest of my life.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to school unless you get an underwater basket weaving degree but I've heard of sociology majors becoming marketing execs and such. Idk I just never see college kids go "hurr durr you idiot pleb why don't you go to school? Lmao dumbass".
>>
>>1068447
Lulz
>>
>>1068413
This is eroding away currently and if things stay the way they are it will end completely.
>>
>>1068520
>Idk I just never see college kids go "hurr durr you idiot pleb why don't you go to school? Lmao dumbass".
They say this every time anyone implies college is a waste.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 648x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 648x368px
>>1068397
>>
>>1068458
>The people that go to university, and then get great, 100k a year jobs outside of school, those guys didnt NEED school. They have the work ethic and the smarts to just buy some shit from alibaba and sell it and make MORE than 100k a year.
Yeah man! Because you can totally start modelling the financial market for large banks without a graduate degree in Mathematics or Physics.
>>
>>1068495
Dude, Amazon doesn't make any money. Walmart and Target are on the verge of death.
>>
>>1068852

> Amazon doesn't make any money.

They're making money off their "toys": kindle fire, echo, and fire stick.

If you're paying any attention, Amazon is doing its best to "spread out"; as Facebook is doing. Why? They know, but it wont be anytime soon before they're the next Circuit City.

> Walmart and Target are on the verge of death.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-vs-target-graphic-2015-9

They're really not though.
>>
>>1068389
Education always matters. It's just a case of return on investment.

That's a function of how much you pay for it, what you study, and how you apply it to the real world.
>>
>>1068397
>Now, I'm making so much money there is now reason to seek a job- but I'm sure, if I applied and included my tax returns and said 'I built a company that makes $150k a year in profit from NOTHING' here is the proof-
>That's a lot more impressive than a degree, no?

Employers don't want people like you

They want followers, people who do what they are told

Keep making (and saving/reinvesting) your money, the door to the 40 hour work week is now shut to you
>>
>>1070496
Depends what kind of job. Could possibly go for a consulting gig, market research/development or so.
>>
>>1068389
The problem is that expense, and risk do not return the investment spend. The fact that many college gradulate cannot secure a good paying job makes the investment unsafe. It's not so that education is bad, but the money spent on isn't worth the cost.
See
>>10684054
>>1068416

The degree still makes you underequalified for the jobs you want, but now you have debt, and employers for mcjobs think your overqualified. In addition Experince/internship being valued more then degree implies that HR want Vocational/Trained employee over educated employee.

College education does matter it's not a crutch that will get you a job for the money spent for it.
>>
>>1070788
>The problem is that expense, and risk do not return the investment spend. The fact that many college graduate cannot secure a good paying job makes the investment unsafe. It's not so that education is bad, but the money spent on isn't worth the cost.

This pretty much, with the added problem that while the education you could conceivably get by going to college can actually be obtained through less expensive/freer sources if you're willing to put in the time and effort, society has decided it's not the same unless an overpaid academic bureaucrat stamps and hands you a ticket.

The two types of people that arguably actually benefit from something like college are people who don't have the resources/ability to to use free/open sources to educate themselves, or those who are attempting to supplement a career field they already have a foothold in. This is a small portion of the overall people who attend or attempt to attend college.

Moreover, people who drone on about how important the "college experience" is tend to be some of the most sheltered people I come across, regardless of age.
>>
I feel like universities are only there for sheltering adults and making them think they're still children. Millennials completely lack responsibility and go into the workplace expecting the world to revolve around them or their needs.

Something offends me? I might as well whine about it until something's done.
My pay is shit? Nothing I can do, after all hard work and a life strategy are useless.
My boss won't let me browse le reddit? OHMYFUCKINGGOD WHAT A TRAGEDY
>>
File: 1428815388353.jpg (432KB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
1428815388353.jpg
432KB, 3504x2336px
What about social value? After all it's still highly looked up to by your peers to be a college graduate...
>>
>>1068494
>intellect
but you don't have an education.
and your skills consist of washing dishes and shipping stuff
>>
>>1070835
>What about social value? After all it's still highly looked up to by your peers to be a college graduate...

If a core tenant of your motivation behind getting a college degree is social acceptance, you shouldn't be in college, let alone subsidized to be there.

Social value =/= practical value.

>>1070843
>but you don't have a Knowledge Factory™ provided education.
FTFY.

Education does not require institutionalized learning.
>>
>>1070854
>education does not require institutionalized learning
The literal definition of education is "the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university."
>>
>>1070872
>One of many Miriam-webster definitions of education is
FTFY
>>
>>1070874
geez man
I can sense your fedora through the internets
You know what I was getting at
>>
>>1070835

It is? I have my Bachelors but in 2016 I always assumed it was the equivalent of a HS diploma.
>>
>>1068494
But you are on 4chan nigga.
>RIP Intellect.
>>
>>1068430
Welcome to the business world, kiddo
>>
>>1070806
>Moreover, people who drone on about how important the "college experience" is tend to be some of the most sheltered people I come across, regardless of age.
True. I did that. I'm really sheltered
>>
In a good amount of cases, employer in a professional industry want candidates who can show they have the drive and what it takes go get a secondary education. It's the same with with hiring people from the military because those employees can demonstrate discipline and thinking under pressure.

That's why people from top tier/Ivy League schools can get jobs in Banking and become C-level even with degrees in history or English.
>>
>>1070885
BUMP
>>
>>1068389

What do you want from us? If you are making 6 figures from dropshipping, you don't need a college degree.

Not everyone wants to risk their ass on one egg (dropshipping). I rather have my degree to fall back on.
>>
>>1068414
>> =/= >>>/soc/
>>
>>1068421
holy shit your a degenerate
>>
>>1068389

No. People who go to college are stupid and I am very smart.
>>
>>1068389
Consider this: A senior high school degree in the 50s was more worth than a drivers license today. Education has a worth, but the relative worth is diminishing.

>>1068448
>ollege should be treated as job training/networking. The notion that college is the best years of your life was exclusive to Gen X. Now before some autist starts nit picking, you can obviously enjoy yourself, but the college game has changed for millennials and it has to be taken seriously,
Pity that the teachers sucks! XD
>>1068406
I can tell you if you post a rare Pepe.

>>1068412
DESU, some things can only be learned face to face. Watching lectures or tv shows can only teach you so much.
>>
>>1068397
>Paying to go to school

uhhh. americucks?
>>
>>1068389
No, my current employer dropped degrees as a requirement and picked up portfolio requirements. College graduates are worthless these days, not sure what the fuck they are teaching you young people but you're coming out of schools knowing jack shit and costing people lots of money. The philosophy is its safer to hire people with actual experience and proven success over some nobody with a degree and I have to agree. Every joe blow has a business degree these days, it's worthless as shit if you don't have the experience.
>>
File: HP-16C.jpg (69KB, 697x446px) Image search: [Google]
HP-16C.jpg
69KB, 697x446px
>>1073191
>experience
Is for beta cuck fag homo gay little girl communist niggers who can't figure out things for themselves, the normies.

We super sayian aryans, indians or AZNs just whip out our badge of genius: A programmable calculator. And the more autist the design is, the higher our power levels are.
>>
>>1073180

> what is fafsa
> what is tax break

Euro fags just stop.
>>
>>1073806

>tfw Fafsa pays for my community college entirely so long as I don't get like a 1.0 GPA or some shit

Like, I understand not wanting to go to a 4 year college, but at least attend a CC. Pick up a associate's, it's better than nothing.
>>
>>1073180
The only decent education you are going to get is one you pay for. Most free government schools tend to suck.
>>
>>1068397
The best way is to go to college wjen you have nothing better to do. For most of us that's after high school.
>>
A college education matters if you get the right degree. You can apply for work at home jobs for half the open positions in my company for with just a business/accounting/finance degree.
>>
>>1068397
>But those 4 years of your life could be spent doing something better.

I work full time and taking 12 credits this semester. I have a wife and 16 month old daughter.

I study like an hour a day. Plus its paid for my GI bill and also my work.

What the fuck are you talking about? It's nowhere near how you make it out to be. It's not college or bust man. Grow some balls.
>>
>>1068405
>I just got my Masters and most of the relevant experience I have has been through the two internships that were required for my program.

So, what you are saying is you got a great intern experience precisely because of college?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.