[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oh man, this fucking thing was unwatchable..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

File: big-short.jpg (126KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
big-short.jpg
126KB, 640x427px
Oh man, this fucking thing was unwatchable..
>>
>>1045877
It was produced for the masses. Most of the populace is unaware of basic finances. It provides a "humorous" means for detailing some rather interesting characters.
>>
>>1045877
Unwatchable? I watched the whole thing and laughed my ass off. It was pretty dead on. Coming from a finance guy, although I loved Margin Call too, this movie was even more realistic.
>>
I don't remember people blaming the immigrants and the poor the housing crises
>>
>>1045909
That's the one thing I didn't like about this.

And the way they tried to portray it like
>most people actually paid their rent, it's the shady landlords' faults!
>>
>>1045909
They were, but it wasn't as pervasive as the movie seems to indicate. It was more subtle and hinted at. Look at any news articles or finance magazines that were published at the time. Even if you read the Wikipedia article on the mortgage crisis, one of the causes is stated as "large number of low income immigrants given mortgage loans". It's not like they're fooling anyone though. The general public is naive but they know, even if in a vague sense, that it was the banks that caused this.
>>
was hilarious
>>
DUDE LETS TAKE DOWN THE EVIL WHITE GUYS IN SUITS LMAO
>>
>>1045917
>shady landlords
Yea you're right, it shouldn't have been the main focus, but it was a pretty common occurance. A lot of people that owed more money than thier house was worth just decided to default on thier loans. I don't blame them. The shady ones were the landlords that still decided to charge thier tenants rent when they themselves weren't paying thier mortgage. I'm not sure about other states but in California you couldn't evict someone who defaulted on a mortgage loan for a whole year. That means that people who bought homes during a bubble (some of them on ARMs or Ninja'd in) who were on FHAs and only put 3.5% down with barely any equity in the property, actually profited. The people who made the riskiest purchases and should have been hit the hardest ended up benefiting the most by illegal means.
>>
>>1045877
why?
I kinda liked it
>>
>>1045952
>thier
>>
>>1045877
The characters were pretty great, at least Gooseling/Carell/Bale trio, but holy fuck the ending was bad.
Another "blame the evil bankers for everything" movie.
>>
>It was FRAUD! They defrauded the American people X100

Michael Scott needs to stfu.
>>
File: ryan-gosling.jpg (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ryan-gosling.jpg
51KB, 300x300px
>>1045877

You couldn't immediately tell?
>>
>>1046049
It doesnt compare to the wolf of wall street. Leo and Johnah were amazing together.
>>
>>1045877
the negative responses to this post will give you an idea of how many investment bankers are visiting /biz/ this morning.
>>
it was ok
the reason i died a little inside though was every time gozzle would explain a financial term, he'd be like "and now here's somebody else to explain it in even stupider terms, because you're MAIN STREET and that's how we relate to you"
>>
>>1046206

Yea so fuck off NEET
>>
>>1046210
also I hate the fact that it blames people for trying to make a profit even though it was a $30 million film and made back twice that
>>
>>1046210

Kek i know,

I actually paid $8.50 to see a movie. As I left the Alamo draft house theater all the normal people had reciepts of over $140 on beer and food.

We are doomed
>>
File: 7757f.jpg (108KB, 800x1129px) Image search: [Google]
7757f.jpg
108KB, 800x1129px
>>1045881

No, that's what I mean. The subject matter was very interesting but the execution of the characters by the actors just made me grate my teeth.

Steve Carrell's character was atrocious, Bale's character made me want to stab myself in the face with a broken beer bottle, Gosling's character felt contrived and the two garage trader dorks were unbearable.

I'm not saying that the actors were so good that they made me loath the IRL characters, no, the actors themselves did such a bad job, they ruined what could have been a decent flick.

There was another really bad movie about the 2008 crisis from a while back, it was equally bad and even more forgettable: I think it had that fag with the eye brows that plays spock.
>>
File: man-looking-in-mirror.jpg (31KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
man-looking-in-mirror.jpg
31KB, 300x303px
>mfw I know at least two people exactly like Carrell's character
>mfw I am often like Carrell's character
High IQ is the burden we bear. Be happy in your mediocity OP.
>>
File: Michael Burry.jpg (81KB, 608x413px) Image search: [Google]
Michael Burry.jpg
81KB, 608x413px
>>1046245
Liked that character the most, and Bale did it good. Everything else was shit, especially the emotional jew.
>>
>>1045881

edgy
>>
>>1046415

>High IQ

>Retarded, autistic character who literally learned of the looming housing default through a call made to a wrong number

The problem with stupid people, like you, is that they are incapable of evaluating themselves and realizing how stupid they are.
>>
>>1046245
I don't think you know what you're talking about, Bale is up for a best supporting nomination for that role, and other people like Gosling and Pitt played their characters exceptionally well
>>
>>1045877
I thought it was alright.

What I didn't like was the explanations by celebrities and the 'badass rap music like we banging and making money and sheeiit'.
>>
>>1045909
It literally was partially their fault though.

Mortgage brokers give every home buyer a payment schedule that explains what each payment is and how much goes towards interest and principle. Even if they were misled verbally by the broker, they could easily check the timetable of payments
>>
File: 1440564643227.png (292KB, 521x443px) Image search: [Google]
1440564643227.png
292KB, 521x443px
Only people who judge a movie by whose in it rather than whats in it could like this lazy ass movie. All of Christian Bale's scenes were filmed in one room. Steve Carell is just awful. It feels like they filmed this in a week, threw some wolf of wall street references and called it a day.
>>
>>1045877
I fucking loved it. The scene where the CDO manager is explaining CDO's to Carrel was perfect.
>'That is fucking insane'
pretty much how I reacted while studying the crash back in 2010
>>
File: 000000000.jpg (12KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
000000000.jpg
12KB, 283x283px
The entire movie was butthurt Bernie shilling, but it was still more or less accurate and I enjoyed the ride.
>>
>>1045932
It wasnt directly the banks it was the democracts under Clinton. They wanted every one to have a house, even when they couldnt afford it. Hence they all defaulted because "a home for everyone" sounds nice for democrats.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (52KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
52KB, 499x499px
So let me get this straight - at the end of the movie they sold the swap because they got scared banks would go bankrupt and wouldn't be able to honor the deal.

But besides Lehman Brothers the banks did not go bust - so if they waited more the swap would trigger making them ginormous amounts of money? Way more than 1B they cashed?
>>
>>1046680

The issue was home owners who were speculating and purchasing large numbers of houses they couldn't make the payments on with the intention of flipping the houses for a profit. Think of the scene where there's the stripper who owns six houses and a condo.
>>
>>1046711
Yes. Everyone got scared and they cashed out.
>>
>>1046737
The collapse of Freddie mac caused the crisis. And Freddie mac is a government sponsored enterprise, and incredibly corrupt. FM pools mortgages into MBS or mortgage backed securities, which were then insured against default with credit default swaps, and given a AAA rating from credit rating agencies. Then they were sold to everyone. All these mortgages failed.
>>
>>1046513

Yeah, I was stunned how bad it was despite the cast. Felt like it was hastily thrown together.
>>
File: 1430591922058.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1430591922058.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>1046680

This is true. This was a Clinton initiative to get niggers and spics into home ownership, so the government subsidized and insured risky garbage loans made to insolvent people.
>>
>>1046749
>>1046711
If they hadn't cashed out the banks would have gone under.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.