[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between President and CEO?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1413500348971.jpg (27KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
1413500348971.jpg
27KB, 640x409px
What's the difference between President and CEO?
>>
>>1044378
CEO

A CEO is the highest ranking employee of a company and reports directly to the board of directors. Chief Executive Officer of a company has the responsibility of ensuring that the company is profitable and that the company is always steered in the direction of growth. He knows he will find favor of his bosses (the board of directors) only as long as he keeps raking in profits. CEO plays the role of a visionary for the company and rest of the employees look up to him because of his leadership abilities. In reality, he is the link between the board and other managers of various departments of the organization. CEO is the ship of the captain and oversees the performance of the managers and also devices strategies to help the company achieve its goals.

President

The President is always next in command to the CEO in the chain of management. The CEO puts the responsibility of running the operations of the company on the shoulders of the President. President it is who has to oversee day to day operations, sign the checks, and see the availability of raw materials and so on. While the CEO has to deal with the investors and media, it is the President who keeps the business running, doing all that the CEO asks him to do. He is the guy who actually runs the show under the guidance of CEO.
>>
>>1044392
In the company I work for (a global corporation), the president is (in my opinion) more of a mascot.

The CEO is a link between shareholders and senior management and appoints / oversees senior management. Senior management makes day to day business decisions and these trickle down the management ladder to the common worker. There's about 8 levels of management (managers managing managers) between the CEO and the common worker.
>>
>>1044392
>CEO
Sidious

>President
Vader

Gotcha.
>>
>>1044392
What's a COO then?
Aren't you defining COO and President pretty much the same way?
>>
>>1044416
>Sidious
Sheev
>>
A CEO is what the president hires when he no longer wants to manage his or her own company. The presidents role and say in the operation of the company will vary case by case but CEOs are for when you as the president want to sit back and rake in your revenue while minimizing responsibility.
>>
>>1044454
Excellent question, kind of sounds like that to me
>>
It would vary a lot between countries and companies - here certain companies of a size must have a separate board and management etc.

Usually the directors will oversee the company as a whole but have little or no say in the day to day operating of the business. The boards will often run on the advice of the management in many ways, so they both influence eachother.

CEO is a pretty standard title and will be the highest manager, essentially in charge and responsible for the whole company, but who still reports to and influences the board of directors, in some cases they may be a member of the board but I think most places don't allow that anymore in listed firms.

Presidents may not even be in the company, but in my experience it is usually either a figurehead, ie. A founder who no longer contributes much, or depending on the situation some form of management either directly above or below the CEO.

COOs are usually the second in command to a CEO and will have their hands in the daily managing of the firm, while the CEO is usually more paperwork and presentation like, since they will usually be the ones who report to the board and deal with big picture concerns. Then you usually have CFO, CMO and other titles, some of which are recent and not all that universal, all of who report to the CEO
>>
each and every business is different. so its tough to say.
either way roles and responsibilities should be clearly written and in contract form.
>>
The president's job, is to preside over the day to day operations of the business. Are operations running smoothly and safely and legally. Are appropriate people being hired or terminated. Is revenue being generated. Are facilities working. Is everyone doing their fucking job? The president assures the answer to this question is "yes" by "presiding" over the enterprise.

Executives, execute. They create and document and execute projects.

The COO or Chief Operations Officer is in charge of making sure new operational initiatives go smoothly without compromising existing operations.

The CIO or CTO make sure new computer based initiatives are successful without jeopardizing existing IT

The CEO or Chief Executive Officer, is the boss .. the president .. of every C-level executive. He's the president of the executives. His job is to ensure every executive, successfully executes, and to forge bigger picture initiatives, utilizing each C-level executives' skills and plans.

The Board of Directors are the voice of the shareholders.

They are the CEO's collective, democratic bosses.

The Chairman is the voice of the board. But he is not the boss of the board. Ideally, the board has no boss.

Does that clear things up?
>>
>>1044454
I wasn't aware that companies had both. Seemed to me like you could pick whichever you liked best...president, CXO, grand wizard...same difference.
>>
What is the job of the chairman?
>>
>>1044833
>The Chairman is the voice of the board. But he is not the boss of the board. Ideally, the board has no boss.

Isn't the boss the one with the most shares?
>>
>>1045230
Not if "the most" is less than a majority

The Chairman isn't necessarily the principal shareholder. Usually but not necessarily
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.