[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fractional Reserve Banking..?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

How the hell is it legal?

If all the customer's of any given bank decided to withdraw all their money for whatever reason, that bank would have to be bailed out simply because that hard money doesn't exist.
>>
>>1042427
>babby's first economics

Yes that's how it works anon and it's nothing new.

The entire system is based upon just that, people keeping their money in the banks. So as soon as things turn sour the shit hits the fan almost immediately, like it did in Greece last summer as an example.
>>
>>1042431
Reading Sowell's BE currently

How is it legal though?

Seems like a time bomb
>>
>>1042438
I read the same book, 4th edition. I'm honestly not sure. Both fractional and reserve banking seem flawed. Fiat money has lots of flaws, but even the gold standard has some flaws. Competing currencies is also flawed. I'm not quite sure what the best monetary system is because even the so-called experts are divided. Among libertarians there's tons of different opinions. Ultimately though I think Friedman is right though. His k-percent rule seems to be ideal. The problem is that it's fiat money and there would always be the risk that the government will inflate the money supply to pay for expensive government programs. To prevent this maybe it would be a good idea to allow banks to print their money if they choose to, to compete with the dollar. I'm not sure if banks would do it though.
>>
>>1042438
well its legal because you can go into a contract without a 100% guarantee you will give money back, or guarantee that you will fulful this contract
Its a good system if things like people savings remains relaitively constant.
>>
Well anon, let that be your first discovery of the federal government's tyrannical "laws." It IS illegal, just like income tax.

The only rational thing to do is to start stockpiling assault weapons for the day the IRS comes to raid your religious compound.

Mark my words, anon. Mark my words.
>>
>>1042427

Aren't deposits secured up to 250k, though?
>>
>>1042535
Guaranteed by the government. At least in Australia anyway.

Fractional reserve banking is great. By increasing the growth in credit, borrowers have access to credit they otherwise wouldn't under a full reserve system. Once you take into account the central bank's ability to influence bank reserves and hence overall credit growth, it's actually a real neat system.
>>
>>1042523
I can see how it wold fuel an economy's growth with more money in circulation, but like someone said, when people start wanting their money bank, for instance because a bank was robbed and they speculate the bank will collapse, they bank will also collapse!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.