[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is STEM just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: Untitled.png (174KB, 646x369px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
174KB, 646x369px
Is STEM just a meme?
>>
>>1040458
If you go into it to make money, then yes.
>>
>>1040488

What else would you go into it for?
>>
>>1040458

No OP, college itself is the meme.
>>
>Graduate Chemical Engineer last year
>Went into it because I actually enjoy math and chemistry
>Also had the added perk of being well paid
>Zero (0) jobs available now
>"Well see, this is why you go into something you love!"

Fuck this world, I'm gonna become a cop because at least with unemplyoment rising, they will be in demand.
>>
>>1040517
Did you not do co-ops?

ChemE is being hired, just not in oil.

I don't understand how you couldn't find a job.
>>
>>1040523
I should add in that I'm Canadian. There are thousands of experienced engineers applying for entry level positions, so even a co-op is worth nothing.
>>
>>1040530
Oh, I'm in the states and currently majoring in it. Many of my friends in the program graduated straight into jobs. Maybe you should consider emigrating from your meme country?
>>
>>1040533
i'm trying senpai, i really am, but it's hard getting your foot in the door when applying out of country.
>>
There are a vast number of people with PhDs in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics who are not finding jobs.

It's frankly absurd that anyone argues: "your just poor bcuz you don't try hard!" when ignoring people that are vastly more intelligent and have worked harder then most can't get into a position.

The economy is irreparably fucked and the only way it's going to be fixed is through an implementation of mass social welfare.
>>
File: 1442629029464.jpg (700KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1442629029464.jpg
700KB, 1920x1080px
>>1040458
Probably not if you enjoy it and put in the work.

I've been sitting on my bachelor's in Pharmaceutical Sciences since Spring 2014. Originally went into it because "chemistry is interesting and I want to help people" ($$) and because of the university meme/sham.

>Didn't realize until Fall 2014 that I hated myself and had no interest in what I was doing.
>Somehow managed to graduate.
>Too lazy/stupid/scared to apply for grad school for Fall 2015 or Fall 2016.
>Have only applied to a handful of entry level jobs with no luck.
>Haven't studied/worked on anything remotely related to chemistry since graduation.
>University claims high job placement.
>Received no help and no prospects besides mass emails notifying of resume workshops and Grad program showcases.

What's worse is the field I want to get into isn't at all economically viable. Would have to have Bruce Lee tier discipline/attitude to make something of myself.

My parents have put up a lot to see me this far. I've let them all down. Considering anhero.
>>
>>1040458
STEM is absolute shit. I'm an engineer and have been unemployed for 4 years. My chemical engineer friend works at walmart. The economy is fucked. Only medical doctors are the ones getting real jobs
>>
>>1040517
my brother got a Masters degree in chemical engineering with a 3.94 and only got one interview. He didn't get the job.
>>
>>1040564
b-but muh Ayn Rand
muh fox news
muh donald trump
muh /pol/
>>
>>1040595

lol, a woman my mom bought her house from had a PhD in chemistry and was selling real-estate.

Capitalists are disconnected from reality, ultimately their arguments are motivated by maintaining their own wealth because they have profited from the current system. They won't accept that just happen to have been lucky.
>>
File: 1425959959797.jpg (25KB, 450x451px) Image search: [Google]
1425959959797.jpg
25KB, 450x451px
Anyone in the US with an engineering degree and no good job has either put little effort into applying for jobs or was dumb enough to go through 4 years of school without any internships.

I go to a tier 2 engineering school and almost EVERYONE finds jobs, $70k average salary.

Please continue the engineering is a shit major meme, even less competition for myself.
>>
>>1040610
Thoughtcriminal please leave
>>
>>1040589
>>1040593
feels bad man, I actually broke down crying in the shower yesterday because of this. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
>>
>>1040625
>>1040625
I was dumb enough to go through 4 years without an internship. I was dumb because I felt no one would want to hire someone who studied Bioengineering from a SUNY.

At least I don't have debt.
>>
>>1040488
Wtf else would you get a college degree for?
>>
Getting a job isn't about 'getting a degree', 'working hard', 'study something useful' lol. It's about connections. If you want a job you gotta go out, party, and meet tonnes of people. Sorry that you guys fell for the memes.
>>
>>1040517
>math
>mathematics

why cant 'murifats just call it maths? math = mathematic which sounds retarded
>>
>>1040921
>I was dumb enough to go through 4 years without an internship. I was dumb because I felt no one would want to hire someone who studied Bioengineering from a SUNY.

It's almost like you wanted to fuck up. I filled about a hundred applications in a single day, that's all it fucking took and now I have a stacked resume with internships and great offers.

I don't understand how people can study a hard fucking degree for years but can't spend a few hours or days mindlessly grinding out applications. (I did so while stoned out of my mind)
Those intern applications are way more fucking important than anything else.
>>
>>1040986
>why cant 'murifats just call it maths? math = mathematic which sounds retarded

Maths sounds equally retarded to us. Are eurofags so naive to not see this circular logic?
>>
File: 1450832710676.jpg (126KB, 451x604px) Image search: [Google]
1450832710676.jpg
126KB, 451x604px
This seems as good a place to put this as any.

Which are the best non-technical careers?

I'm well-spoken and confident, and I can learn information quickly, but I don't enjoy or have an aptitude for technical things like science, engineering and accounting.
>>
>>1041262
Anherology seems like a good fit for you
>>
>>1041278
Want to go into business together?
>>
I left harder things because I don't like it enough to warrant the effort necessary. Just doing physics at this point to get my degree. Just want to make enough money to start doing real estate.
>>
At least the cs meme is still going. We all still have jobs for the time being. Who knows what's going to happen after the boom though.
>>
File: 1449038814933.png (9KB, 405x344px) Image search: [Google]
1449038814933.png
9KB, 405x344px
>>1040510
>Underrated post
>>
STEM is still the logical path to choose if you are entering college.

Long term though, I see STEM becoming so wide spread, particularly computer science, that technical aptitude will just be assumed when applying for jobs. Secretaries will be coders in about 10 years.
>>
>>1041067

>maths

How is a discipline a plural? Why add an S at the end?
>>
>>1040517
>>1040589
>>1040593
>>1040633

These people are unemployed because they are unintelligent and don't deserve good paying jobs.

I studied math and make 215k annually as an actuary. It's easy, i have no college debt, and I will never be unemployed.
>>
>>1040570
So you're considering killing yourself instead of applying for grad school?
Hell, you could go to a vocational training school and get a job out of that.
>>
>hurr durr you're unemployed bcuz you didn't study STEM
>hurr durr you're unemployed bcuz you didn't try hard enough as a STEM major.
This board is fucking hystrical. There are no STEM jobs. As a whole STEM is going to downsize in the next ten years. Look up the BLS stats on STEM jobs. Only two jobs are doing well. Civil Engineering, and Data monkeys. There are a lot of of unemployed experienced STEM workers. Most just end up in sales/marketing because its often more stable than STEM.
>>
How is this /biz/ related just fuck off please.

Everyone posting about gay little jobs. Ether be an entrepreneur or fuck off out of biz
>>
File: 1398689606038.gif (2MB, 174x174px) Image search: [Google]
1398689606038.gif
2MB, 174x174px
>Not studying humanities to compensate for the swing away from STEM--a field that will become over saturated as language skills decrease and are needed
>>
>>1040517
I'm one worse on you. I did Bioe because I figured coming from a good university I could go into a less developed field and still live comfortably. The kicker is a took a bunch of comp bio and cs courses too. It's a pain in the ass to watch people that you're smarter than shrug off 6 figure job offers. I guess they were smart about the one decision an 18yo makes that matters.

Almost minimum wage is better than minimum wage though, so I guess I'll still have to do life sciences until I can transition into an actual career or maybe I'll be lucky enough to get experience I can leverage into an mba and consulting gig or read into ip law.
>>
why are we calling things meme now
>>
>>1040517
did you do an internship?

people who cant find work out of engineering usually just did there degree and have no experience
>>
>>1040946
This.

>>1040510
This.

>>1040517
>>1040564
>>1040570
>>1040589
>>1040593
>>1040610
>mfw
You idiots fell for it. You didn't even apply to internships while you were in school? You didn't build any sort of portfolio?
>>
How much does the type of internship actually matter?

I've been scared to apply to some because they don't fit what I want to go to grad school for. I'm a mechanical engineer and I want to create robots, not refrigerators.

My reasoning is that it'll look like I'm not really passionate about the field I want to get in.
>>
>>1042688
>I studied math and make 215k annually as an actuary. It's easy, i have no college debt, and I will never be unemployed.
Do tell? It's a profession I'm planning to chase, any idea where I can get some good info or advice or anything? I'm thinking of lurking Actuarial Outpost.
>>
before you go to school just make sure you read about population growth vs. jobs created for every person

im not saying there are no jobs but population wise all roles are capped
>>
>>1043023
It matters. Keep looking, be willing to move to another city for the summer, and don't let a somewhat lower pay discourage you from applying (though they all pay pretty well)
>>
Is STEM just a meme?

sort of-you still need to find fields that need people and pay well
>>
>>1044056
only that there is none, every field is saturated and jobs who were once top tier now hires are minimum wage

20 years from now there won't be any jobs left
>>
File: 1361344348384.png (445KB, 528x516px) Image search: [Google]
1361344348384.png
445KB, 528x516px
>mfw starting medicine
>mfw I have 4 years until I'm a doctor and will be getting shit pay for a few more after that
>>
File: 1452012783778.png (735KB, 748x498px) Image search: [Google]
1452012783778.png
735KB, 748x498px
>>1044152
Better start interning, anon. Godspeed.
>>
>>1041278
>>1041278
What's that?
>>
>>1043951
don't go to AO. it's more autistic than /r9k/

just download a syllabus from soa.org and find some cheap textbooks to study from
>>
>>1040495
For science and knowledges sake.
>>
>>1040986
no other word works like this
>mathematics
>maths

American way is best way, truncate everything after the h, consistent with how other words are shortened.
>>
>>1040495
some people (like doctors) actually give a shit about helping people and being "useful". A lot of STEMfags are autists who think they will be able to secure a $100k+ starting salary with zero connections or experience
>>
>>1042688
>I will never be unemployed.
kek

Your job is incredibly easy to automate. It's coming son.
>>
>>1040495
There are people who want more than just money
>>
>>1044463
I went to the hospital today to see my father (very sick) and I was really really impressed with doctors and nurses; their work looked really interesting. I think I chose the wrong career path.
>>
>>1044423
>don't go to AO. it's more autistic than /r9k/
Holy shit. Do tell.

>just download a syllabus from soa.org and find some cheap textbooks to study from
I'm British, so it's a bit different for the exams.
>>
File: 1359169341666.gif (204KB, 321x350px) Image search: [Google]
1359169341666.gif
204KB, 321x350px
>>1044894
Then you realize that becoming doctor involves not only having a bachelors like every other STEM fucker, but going through a rigorous application process that takes a year of your life and a lot of your money.

And that's just to GET IN (assuming you get in on your first try).

Then you have your pre-clinical years, rotations, residency, fellowship, CME's, malpractice, and getting fucked in the ass by insurance companies. All while in debt.

No lie, shit is interesting as fuck, even benign shit like some guy coming in for eating too many pot brownies.

I just got into medical school, this has been a very trying year of my life. But thank god I got in on my first try.

Also, I wish your father well. Good luck anon.
>>
>>1042979
I don't know how it is now but 15 years ago there were nearly zero opportunities for CS internships. Every now and then one would come up like "be on call 24/7 for maybe 5 scattered hours of fixing PCs with your own tools and your own car up to 100 miles away." I finally got an internship with state government but Republicans and their starvation budgets have put the screws to stuff like that. They used to hire CS students at $10/hr to do little programs that staff was too busy to do. Dept got needed tools, student got needed experience, win win. Now they just lay off half the staff and hire Indians at $300/hr to crap all over everything for years and years. Too much corruption from being "partners" with crapitalists.
>>
>>1045063
Thanks friend.

I'm sure u will make a great doctor.
>>
>>1040458
>Is STEM just a meme?

There are good-paying STEM jobs for people with a BSCS who know their shit. Currently even people who fall below that criteria. Even in bad times BSCS people will have jobs, ones who know what they're doing. This has been the case since the 1970s and will continue to be.

There is a hell of a lot of learning and so forth to get to that point though. You have to go to college and learn calculus and discrete math and theory of computation for a year or two, then learn data structures and algorithms for a year, then learn languages like Java, then take some electives in ML, graphics etc.

You're still early on after that.

It takes a hell of a lot of work to get to where you're fairly secure during hard times. You have to enjoy it on some level (not all of it all the time, but...)
>>
>>1044869
Oh really? Easy? Then do it.

Or at least, tell me one specific actuarial function that would be easy to automate.
>>
>>1044895
You're right, don't Brits just do it all via college credit? I'm ignorant of the specifics
>>
Even if a computer can't do your job cheaper, Pajeet can.
>>
>>1045679
Pajeet is lazy, uncreative, smells bad, can't run a meeting, or talk to a customer

And it's sort of an open secret that having Pajeet or Ching-Chong sign off on financial statements is just begging the state regulators to audit your firm
>>
>he gets a degree solely for the money
You're the reason college has gone to shit.
>>
>>1044309
He's saying kill yourself (AN-HERO)
>>
>>1045659
Not him. What does actuarial even mean? Can you recommend an intro text or something?
>>
>>1045838
The exam and education process is largely divorced from the actual work - exams are meant to weed out the dumb people. beanactuary,org is a start
>>
>>1045751
Actually it was sending all the decent paying dumb jobs to chinkland and pajeetia
>>
>>1042737
This!

Carl Sagan was humanities + STEM.

>tfw swedish businessmen are in general despised in France because they can only talk about golf and crime fiction

>>1045063
Also, you'll smell like shit at the end of the work day because everything smells like shit in the hospital.

>le shitty coffe
>le shitty interns
>le shitty patients
>le shitty ceilings
>le shitty stool samples

>>1045750
A good business is like a mullet: Business in the front, party in the back.
>>
>>1045660
>You're right, don't Brits just do it all via college credit? I'm ignorant of the specifics
Nah, we usually have to leave uni with an appropriate degree (although I don't think there's an actual requirement on what degree you have, but for obvious reasons maths, stats or actuarial science seem to be the most common, although I've yet to see any stats on it) and then do 15 exams with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA).
>>
>>1045865
>The exam and education process is largely divorced from the actual work - exams are meant to weed out the dumb people. beanactuary,org is a start
I've heard that that's only true in America. Mostly because your actuarial societies don't trust your fucking universities.
>>
>>1040564
Good atleast a lot of useless people will be killed off in this already overpopulated planet
>>
>>1042688
It's hilarious when people post absolutely high end salaries for professions
>>
>>1046325
https://www.dwsimpson.com/salary

Are you kidding me?

I'm an FSA with 10 years experience. 215k is solidly in the middle of the range.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.