[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who you know matters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (65KB, 388x380px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 388x380px
Hi /biz/; just wanted to share my sorrow

I'm a double major in physics and finance from a big east coast school that just graduated. I've literally applied to 427 jobs (in drug companies, tech companies, finance firms, et) since I was a Junior in uni until now (graduated this month). Everyone says either they chose someone else and they aren't interested or they never got back to me.

It's not your major that matters. I was the top of my class. I juggled many odd jobs to help my guardian. I tutored so many students while in my studies. None of that mattered, and none of the alumni responds to me for coffee or phone calls to talk about what they do

The moral of the story is who you know matters; not your major. I'm not saying to major in something like art; but I've seen way too many irrelevant majors like biology getting into companies like Microsoft and History getting into analyst roles at top financial places.

The only reason I haven't drowned myself is because I have hope that someone will say, "hey, let me conduct an interview with you"

No I haven't even had an interview. No one gives me chance. Let this be your warning to an anon who is suffering now. If someone is successful and you know them, stick by them and bug them for a job. I never had that opportunity to do so like the rest
>>
>>1032723
>/adv/
>/r9k/
>/b/
>/killed five people before turning the gun on himself/

now get out
>>
Sucks dude.
I know Nepotism is the only thing getting jobs out there and it's shit.
We were all sold a lie. The economy is shit and the jobs are simply not there, whilst the corrupt as fuck politicians try to outsource STEM jobs like yours to fucking inferior shit skins.

Revolution, when?
>>
>>1032727
>Nepotism is the only thing getting jobs out there and it's shit

Nothing unethical about hiring a friend. If you know you get along with them and that they are capable of performing required tasks then you have no right complain.They are the same as you, just safer as they are certain to get along with the company culture.
>>
>>1032732
Sure, maybe in a few cases. But there are just as many cases where incompetent fuck-ups get a job that another unconnected person would do 1000 times better just because daddy is the CEO/HR manager.
>>
You just graduated calm the fuck down. It's not like you've been out for a year doing nothing. If you can't get hired six months from now try to widen the types of jobs you apply for or look for ways to make money on your own.

You make it sound like you are a black immigrant with no education on the sex offender registry. You will get hired eventually.
>>
>>1032725
I don't understand what you're talking about, context?

>>1032732
>>1032727
Nepotism is whatever, I know it exists since I was young. But still, even the most qualified and most needful people that are looking for a job to their skills aren't getting responses. Just look at me.

I'm just so sad, I don't know what to do. I called a staffing agency and they offered me a company where I would work with Photoshop and put labels on packages all day. I closed the phone and cried into my pillow.

Recruiters and hiring managers are fucking idiots. I spoke to professors and they tell me they have no idea why no one would take me. I ask for any ideas and they don't have any because they're so detached from the industry
>>
>ITT /r9k/-tier losers whining about "the economy" and "le nepotism"

It's no ones fault you have autism and didn't network. Now fuck off to /r9k/. I don't even know why I waste time on this board anymore.

Keep playing LoL and whining about the economy.
>>
>>1032723
Check out the book "Mindset: The New Psychology of Success". Focus on working out what you need to do to grow and get a job rather than dwelling on past failures.

>I'm a double major in physics and finance from a big east coast school that just graduated.

Your obviously a smart guy, have you considered learning programming and data science/analysis online? There are a bunch of free courses on edx. udacity and coursea and I'd wager these would make you more appealing to employers right?
>>
>>1032749
I wasn't nagging about anything though, I'm telling people it isn't all about majors as they think it is

I was also hoping someone would give me some advice
>>
>>1032757
>Your obviously a smart guy, have you considered learning programming and data science/analysis online? There are a bunch of free courses on edx. udacity and coursea and I'd wager these would make you more appealing to employers right?
I have but that's going to take forever won't it? And I know for a fact that data science hiring process is rigorous so I don't know if they'll hire a guy like me in comparison to the guys who have been doing data science these past 3 years.

Anyway, I'll check out the book and thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate it anon.
>>
>>1032723

>Bachelors
not qualified to do the level of work you're applying for.

>427 jobs applied
Your resume also sucks.
>>
>>1032764
>I have but that's going to take forever won't it?

You don't have to become a guru at it and the benefit of online courses is you can do it at your own time and skip the crap you already know.

>I don't know if they'll hire a guy like me in comparison to the guys who have been doing data science these past 3 years.

My point is that you can self-lean new skills that will make yourself more appealing as a potential employee. Being able to show how you can use these skills to add value to a company is golden, which is why data science is very handy because most companies are just starting to realize how powerful data can be thus need people to unlock it.
>>
Cool story bro. Perhaps there is some interpersonal, social cue sort of stuff you're missing? Do you have a good friend you can ask? You should've at least gotten phone interviews.

But anyway, who does Physics and Finance in undergrad? Unless you took way too many credits, there's no way you got a deep grounding in both disciplines.
>>
>>1032723
Lol fuck you retard. I bumbled my way through comp Sci with like a 2.5 gpa and have 0 connections. I had multiple interviews and a few offers. I've been at my current job for 3 years.

What the fuck finance and physics lol. What even is that skill set? Employers see that and think what? I need a guy to do shitty gravity demonstrations and balance my books. Jackpot!
>>
>>1032791
He probably fell for the quant meme.

>2008 + 8 not realizing you need a Physics PhD to get a job at a prop trading firm.
>>
>>1032723
i majored in mechanical engineering with a 3.9 GPA and couldn't find a job for shit. i got absolutely no response from anyone but third party recruiters trying to fill shit tier contract positions, and even then i got almost no response.

ended up going into a phd program since that was the only way i was able to get paid while doing something remotely interesting.
>>
>>1032791
>I bumbled my way through comp Sci with like a 2.5 gpa and have 0 connections.
you can just say that you're a nigger without writing out all that shit, and that's exactly why you got hired.
>>
>>1032799
>Le cope with being a loser

No you idiot. Some people aren't autistic.

Guaranteed all of you fucked up in a major at least somehow(maybe aspergers, shit resume, etc)
>>
>>1032723
I doubt that you have counted your sent resumes. Should have skipped uni, got a job and started trading. You would be worth 500k considering the the past 7 years rally.
>>
>>1032799
Just a half decent white programmer who doesn't spaz out when faced with social interaction
>>
>>1032791
He should probably just try to get a job as a major in finance and dont include the physics major and maybe that will get him at least a decent job lol. The double physics major probably just throws them off like wtf??

also OP why arent you getting connections right now?
>>
>>1032810
where do you just get a trading job with no degree?
>>
>>1032821
You don't

You work like a slave, become wealthy, then invest until you are rich

The problem is all these neets with delusions of grandeur that just want to skip the work like a slave bit
>>
>>1032723
>I was the top of my class.
You're a liar.

You had shitty grades and graduated with no academic achievements whatsoever. That's why no one wants to hire you. Next time, try a bit harder. Success doesn't come without effort, in school, work, or life.
>>
And what does your resume look like OP? You probably just don't know how to market yourself desu
>>
>>1032723
Post up your CV Op its probably fucking terrible I dont see how else you could get rejected so many times. Also where are you based and whats your applying strategy because thats completely retarded to get rejected that many times. Have you thought about seeing a recruiter?
>>
>>1032723
stop being so fat
>>
File: picture004.jpg (37KB, 675x400px) Image search: [Google]
picture004.jpg
37KB, 675x400px
No OP there are plenty of jobs available for the skilled and talented, Don't kid yourself.

Physics and Finance, should be a walk in the park. Unless you're from a no name school.

There is something wrong with your approach, I don't know what it is but somethings off.

http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

In here is Ramit Sethis Find your DreamJob for download under triple maximum wageslave,
It talks about the preparation work you do before you apply for a job, and about the shadow market that is 80% of job offerings.

Really the economy is shit, as an employer, you post a job you get 1000 nogs, 10000 frogposters, and 100000 computer illiterate oldfags applying. No one has time to deal with that shit, so they take their job offerings to their friends and are like do you know someone who can do X. and they're like give Freddy McFingers a shot he's a moron but a moron who can do X. and they're like sure send him over. and they're like thank god I didn't have to do interviews. Get Clarice from HR and tell her to tell everyone we've gone in another direction.

So get on it. THis program costs regulars 20k$ be grateful.
>>
>>1032881
are you chinese?
>>
>>1032881
I tried doing what Ramit said about connecting with folks and the lack of responses made me gave up at cold emailing those folks. Something is off, and it isn't my resume because I actually did pay professionals to give me input to change it

I'll try it again. And I don't know why everyone is so hostile from what I've said in this thread. I graduated with a 3.9 and was on the deans list every year.

Here's hoping for the best something good will happen.
>>
>>1032857
>Also where are you based and whats your applying strategy because thats completely retarded to get rejected that many times. Have you thought about seeing a recruiter?
New York, I have tried a staffing agency as I've mentioned here >>1032744
and the results weren't pretty so I ended up crying my eyes out

>>1032789
>Cool story bro. Perhaps there is some interpersonal, social cue sort of stuff you're missing? Do you have a good friend you can ask? You should've at least gotten phone interviews
I don't understand if there'd be an interpersonal social cue I'm missing when I'm not even being offered to talk on the phone and have a conversation. I don't have any friends, people I called and thought were friends just used me to do their work just so I can have someone to talk to. Not even phone interviews

>>1032810
I counted my resumes when I saw something was wrong. That was when I hit somewhere in the 100-200s of a reume; to which I consulted a professional to look and consult what I should improve on it.

>>1032858
I'm aushwitz but thanks
>>
My advice is post your resume and what job posting you tailored it for
>>
What the fuck are you doing? I have literally no friends or connections, horrible social skills, double major in math and comp sci with a 3.6 GPA from an absolute shit-tier university in the midwest and I can easily get at least an interview with my resume (which I have not had reviewed by a professional). I'm even making above average for my area and my credentials are far from impressive. Are you just applying for meme finance jobs that only accept PhDs?
>>
>>1032917
Jobs with anything that involves
Analytics
Business development
Operations

Most often internship positions for undergrads straight out of school and the other half full time positions for students that just graduated undergrad
>>
OP, you're ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're in denial about something.
>>
>>1032723
No one is holding you back but yourself.

Blaming your situation on something you can't control (i.e. nepotism) is equivalent to blaming God for not giving you rich parents, good looks, and a fat dick. It's absolutely useless.

Your major never mattered. What does matter is what you can offer the people or places you are applying to.
>>
>>1032723

>but I've seen way too many irrelevant majors like biology getting into companies like Microsoft and History getting into analyst roles at top financial places.

It's almost as if nobody gives a fuck about majors. Imagine that.

Your resume is likely terrible OP. That, and you have no idea how to sell yourself.
>>
Post resume fgt
Let us see what you're doing wrong
>>
I keep hearing this. But how do I get to know people that will be able to get me a job eventually?
>>
Op confirmed troll.

Refuses to post resume either because he knows he can't make one up that isn't too shit to be obvious yet good enough
>>
>>1032998
>>1032909
>>1032857
>>1032777
How about you just post the resume (blank out personal information) and let us decide for ourselves?

I've gotten 3 job offers in data science without knowing/being referred by anyone.
>>
File: Casual-and-Cool-560x374.jpg (43KB, 560x374px) Image search: [Google]
Casual-and-Cool-560x374.jpg
43KB, 560x374px
>I was the top of my class
big mistake, socialize and get B's/ There is a reason they say B students do better in life then A students.
I don't get the hostility here, OP,s story is very common. Getting jobs is so random. Keep trying.
The master degree working as office bitch boy is a meme for a reason. Lots of people can't find real jobs anymore.
>double major in physics and finance
why?
Not that your degree matters in the slightest. You have to take the bottom rung job. Remember, you are competing with master degrees and people with 3 years experience (filing)
>>
>>1033267
why not socialize with people who get As
>>
>>1033272

When people get A's it's often an indicator they can't think outside of the box
>>
>>1033272
because they are too busy studying.
duh
>>
>>1032723
>physics and finance
what an odd combination
>>
>>1033287
he likely went to meme state school, where finance was a bunch of math and a few business courses, and he already had the math from the physics degree core.
Colleges really need to be reformed. Someone needs to sit down and tell you, physics is useless without a PhD. Finance is impacted, and we are not a feeder school to wall street.
His degree says physics and finance, but it's really just another "bachelors in science" degree (B.S. as in not B.A). It shows he got a rounded education, and can hopefully think a little, and see something through.
Now go be a file clerk to get your foot in the door.
>>
>>1033287
it's not as odd as people here seem to think.

Schrodinger Eqn <-> Fokker Planck Eqn <-> Black Scholes Eqn

i.e. the underlying equations of quantum and (non-equilibrium) statistical physics are formally identical to the original equation for pricing options. So many of the computational techniques transfer over.

OP's mistake (in addition to whatever the hell else he's doing that doesn't get him to even a phone screen) is thinking that anyone hires the a bachelors in physics/finance at a high frequency trading firm. I have friends who went to prop trading firms but they all had PhD's in Physics or very nearly did (talking about all but thesis.) If he wants off the academic train at this point, he might as well play up the finance degree and try to end up somewhere as a junior analyst. Most of the Physics people who stopped at a Bachelors didn't end up doing anything interesting.
>>
>>1032923
Apply for an MBA, you'll get hired to do consulting for a consulting company.

Otherwise go do interviews for Boston Consulting Group or any other consultant company.
Once you work with them you'll be able to find a job in the field you want or get a sponsored MBA from them and then get the job you want.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.