[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sitting on money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-01-06 10.48.11.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-06 10.48.11.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
I'm saving to buy a home. Income is $160k, student debt $45k at <3% interest.

I'm sitting on $30k in my savings account. I wanted to open a vanguard index fund account but was expecting a shemitah disaster because I believed the retards on pol.

What would you do in my situation? I want to put down $80k on the house. Won't need the $30k until 2017. We're capable of saving about $3k or $4k a month but work is less stable than in most industries (could get fired and forced to move to another city on short notice) and we have kids

Worth the risk right now? The market looks like a2008 bubble to me and I don't want to get fucked on the house or a general market crash on an index fund

Please forgive any stupidity I may be revealing, I a
>>
>>1028042
Good income, what is your occupation?
>>
>>1028042

>income is 160k
Believes tards on pol

If you really think your work could send you anywhere consider finding more stable work before getting a home.
>>
>>1028045
>>1028049

Design and IT. The design job brings the money but the work is mostly in LA and NYC which we aren't in. We'd have to pack up and move if that job fell off, which will probably happen in the next ten years

Yes I'm dumb for believing shemitah but fed rates at zero for seven years.... The market looks like it's going to implode to me
>>
>>1028042
Pay your debt first! You are -$15k and you want to buy a house? Make he smart choice
>>
>>1028069

But interest on debt is lower than payment from a vg acct. Seems smart to pay minimum on debt and get income from the acct
>>
>>1028086
Income less tax
>>
>>1028063
>The market looks like it's going to implode to me

Good thing nobody gives a fuck about some starry eyed millenial cunt's thoughts, eh?
>>
>>1028042
Pay your loan off first, then worry about house
>>
>>1028086

Taxes, bruh. Pay down your debt.
>>
File: Simple Flowchart.png (523KB, 1200x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Simple Flowchart.png
523KB, 1200x1672px
>>1028069
DO NOT PAY 3% debt. Inflation is higher, min payments forever for max gains. Only reason to pay it off is to get access to significant discounts on other much larger financing by manipulating your debt to equity ratio. But that's a very big stretch.
And with income based repayment even if you lose your job, you can minimize payments until you're settled.

As far as the stock market is concerned, don't invest in ANYTHING you don't understand.
Rule#1. Take one year with a small amount of money and learn to trade the markets as and improve your market awareness. For starters even the largest crashes in US history only dropped the entire market 50%. Anyone who does this would love an implosion. The shorts are salivating, and the value guys are stacking to strike after the drop.

If that's your chosen investment vehicle.

Small Business is still the best investment vehicle because of spectacular financing and prices related to cashflow as well as tax favoring.
If you've got the chops.

Your irregular income means you need Double the Cash Reserves of a regular employee. Your irregular job situation means that owning a home is probably not in the cards for you until retirement age.
In the meantime as a renter you still need to be stacking like crazy 45% of your income minimum.
That's the reason the homeowners have more money at the end. Because they were forcing themselves to save. If you spend at the same rate you come out way ahead b/c of higher gains. The median folks only make 3% on their homes per decade. At those rates your home doesn't count as even speculative investment but a savings account. And if you've got to move you have to consider transfer fees- 2-3% of gross in and out and that's without an agent.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/07/27/rent-vs-buy/

one caveat is some markets are so fantastic relative to other places even taking account fees
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303948104579534230618539424
>>
>>1028042
a bubble is going to be based on something much smaller, if anything this time. The housing market is not in a bubble because of the new laws set in place, and people are not able to push trash credit mortgages around as much anymore.

that leaves, power (oil) or biotech. Oil has already burst, financially at lows and biotech doesn't make up much of the stock market.

I am not seeing signs of any bubble, yes there is financial stress in the markets but nothing drastic.
>>
>>1028168
>DO NOT PAY 3% debt. Inflation is higher, min payments forever for max gains. Only reason to pay it off is to get access to significant discounts on other much larger financing by manipulating your debt to equity ratio. But that's a very big stretch.
>And with income based repayment even if you lose your job, you can minimize payments until you're settled.

Can you please expand on all of this?
>>
>>1028338
What about stocks due to years of easy money?
>>
Hold the cash until the disturbances in the stock market during the year. Just because /pol/ was wrong about September, doesn't mean a crash isn't coming.

If you think the Federal Reserve is going to be able to raise interest rates through the year and not have an impact, you're dead wrong.

Shorting Junk Bonds or going long on stable oil companies would be a good play.
>>
>>1028042
>Income is $160k, student debt $45k
Pay off debt and save $40k more in year 1
Save $80k in year 2
Save $80k in year 3
Buy a house for cash
>>
>>1028959

Don't listen- it's all a big bubble.

When stock and real estate prices go to 2009 level, buy them.

7 year 200% growth is not sustainable.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.