[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it commendable to reject nepotism from your father if I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 0395e20.jpg (36KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
0395e20.jpg
36KB, 296x300px
Is it commendable to reject nepotism from your father if I'm trying to enter the same field as him, or am I just arrogant like my family says I am?
>>
Don't be an idiot. Leverage any connection you have to get what you want.

One man choosing not to use a family connection is not going to solve the issue of nepotism, and all you're doing is hurting yourself. for your own sense of pride. If pride is a big deal for you, though, then go for it.
>>
>>1021049
what field? what amount of nepotism?

In general everyone takes what they can get, but if you feel you would rather do it on your own then go for it
>>
>>1021057

This.

I wish I had some nepotism I could bank on. When I got out of college my father's connections weren't worth shit. I'm currently doing manual labor.

My buddy on the other hand, his parents own a travel management company. He works like 30hrs a week, does fuck all, and gets $45k a year.

As the old saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
>>
Use everything to your advantage

following the rules are for cucks
>>
>>1021049
It's admirable, but noones gonna look down on you for doing it. Do what you want to do, if you have confidence in yourself and want the self pride then reject it, if you want to take it safe then do it. Up to you.
>>
Thats stupid as fuck
>>
>>1021049
You're just a prick.
>>
File: 1443044059611.png (84KB, 360x345px) Image search: [Google]
1443044059611.png
84KB, 360x345px
>>1021049
Are you retarded?
>>
If it's not a family business you shouldn't have any more claim to a job than someone else because of your family. I wouldn't say it's arrogant to point that out and refuse that "help", but I'm not a mind reader. If your dad didn't raise you to fend for yourself, and to be OK with that and value your work and skills, it's his own fault if he doesn't approve of you valuing those things over having something handed to you. Of course the other side is that parents usually want to give their kids everything they can.
If you need the money you should take it; if you can afford to pass it up for an extended period of time, and not just because of other things from your parents, I'd say skip it.
>>
>>1021049
don't listen to any of the lazy punks in this thread. do things yourself, your way
>>
>>1021049

>commendable

Absolutely. You are sacrificing an easier life for the sake of upholding your values. Nepotism creates a less efficient society because the best candidates are passed up in favor of connections. It's a universally damaging concept and if everyone stood up against it, the world would be a better place.

But since everyone is doing it, you're just fucking yourself over by being a martyr.
>>
It's arguable. Sure it's commendable now, but if you're one day unable to feed yourself or your family, it's gonna be less commendable when your choice looks bratty and selfish.

There are too many nuances and perspectives though. You can argue either way and be right, depending on how you frame the issue.
>>
I have the chance to get a very high paying job through nepotism. $106/hr between 40-100 hours a week depending on the stage as a lead for a multi billion dollar project. Would be very high stress. Making 100k salary with 50 hour weeks right now. Feels like the extra stress isn't worth the major pay increase.
>>
>>1021049
>tfw using nepotism to get through my degree at absolute no cost

I don't take my opportunity for granted and neither should you.
>>
Fucking stupid.
Few people make it solely based on merit. Your goal should be to live a comfortable life. Worrying about how you got where you are is fucking moronic.
>>
>>1021049
If you have what it takes you should go for it. It's when people that are shit at what they do go into a field because of connections that sucks.
>>
>>1021243

>it's gonna be less commendable when your choice looks bratty and selfish

This is why I'm so fucking confused. My entire life, my impression of nepotism is that it's

>"Daddyyyyyy! Give me a cushy job at the company you work for where I do nothing!"

And now all of a sudden I'm being told "Who do you think you are?" and "Why are you refusing help for the sake of your pride?". I can't tell if everyone else's values are skewed, or if it's actually mine.
>>
>>1021319
It's simple: People have no connections are butthurt about it. If you have connections you should exploit them, because nobody else is going to handicap themselves for your sake.
>>
>>1021049
I was hired by my uncle for my first job, it got me into the industry, getting a good first job for the experience is always a major hurdle and I have absolutely no problem with using my connections to do it.
>>
the problem everyone else isn't as nice as you. You are going to end up in a funuarty job without a connection. ANY GOOD JOB goes to friends/family
>>
If you can live with it, live with it. Chances are you're spend several nights awake thinking of how much more money you could make if you just followed after your dad.

My dad is in real estate, and also has his hands in insurance, credit, and a hedgefund. He want me to take over all/most of it in a few years. In my case, I'm still wondering if what he has is even worth it (money-wise), so perhaps you should ask yourself the same question. Can you evolve what you dad has, or will you just continue it and be nothing more than a reflection of him?
>>
>>1021049
While it's nice that you have principals, they won't put money in your wallet nearly to the same extent that your connections will.
>>
>>1021319
as someone who has no connections, I admire your integrity and think you are right. People in your family are pissed because of pride and vanity.

Honestly I think it's wrong and of of the reasons people like me have it a little harder but it's in your best interest to shut up, take that job, not be arrogant about it and move on later to better pastures for your career.
>>
>>1021249

>106/hr for a multibillion dollar project

why do people come on this site to project their dreams
>>
>>1021319
people will only hate you if you suck at the job. if you're good, they wont care about nepotism
>>
>>1021049
I'm on the same boat as you, only I already hopped in.
The thing is, I asked for my father to put me in the lowest position available, so basically every employee of his is my boss. I'll be learning on the job what everyone does, including my father, and in about 10 years when he decides to retire I'll be ready to take charge of the company.
It's fine you want to go your own way, but if it is the same field, why start from zero when you can continue your father's work? Isn't that the reason he's doing it? To leave something to you when he's gone? I'm sure he would be proud to see you continue his legacy.
>>
I'm not gonna lie.

I think nepotism is normal and perfectly okay. And it's stupid to reject the oppertunity.
>>
>>1021049
Depends on the level you are being given. Entry level position that you can actually learn something from? Take it and learn as much as you can from it. If he is trying to put you into a position you don't feel you can actually do, screw that.
>>
the only people whining about nepotism are the ones not benefitting from it due to having loser families.

truth is - skill, experience and qualifications are NOT everything. trust and loyalty are important, too. and nobody can give you the same level of trust and loyalty that family bonds carry.

yes, your boss's nephew might not be as smart and experienced as some other applicant. but some other applicant might just jump ship and leave the company for one reason or another, while your boss's nephew is much more likely to stick with the family no matter what.
>>
>>1021049
Take advantage of it but don't let it be a crutch either, learn all the responsibilities and try hard and be grateful, make everyone at the job happy that hey brought you on board.
>>
So should I should nepotism to get an embassy job in DC? I can do it but I always hated nepotism. But I'm realizing that its normal and that's how the world works.
>>1022941
this, the only people who hated are those with no connections.
>>
>>1022970

this
>>
>>1021049
Yes. Nepotism as depicted in your pic is horrible. Because the implication is that when Dick Nose Jr fucks it up, then Dick Nose Sr won't own the situation.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.